Charged 42% custom on Mobile!! Help please

mutant

Skilled
Hi guys!

I am headed off to customs office to see If I can get it changed, a good friend told me it would be good if I take a print out of the current custom rates with me.

Now I am trying to find the customs for mobiles on cbec website

Customs Tariff 2009-10 - CBEC

Now in part 2, chapter 85 ,page number 552 tells me about telephone and says there is no customs on telephones, but they do not mention mobile phones there.

So, where can I find the official rate of customs for mobile phones that I can take a printout of and show it to them while defending my case?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mutant

pauldmps said:
As far as I know, cellphones are subjected to assessment on the basis of price-list that the customs office has rather than the declared value. That is, if the phone has a market price of $300 in India & it is declared $100, it will be revalued to $300 before calculating customs amount.

It clearly shows that the customs officials there don't have any idea of the rules to be followed.
Well they certainly do not follow the rules there, that is certain. But I guess, if the assistant commissioner has told me that it would work, It should work I am thinking. But will have to ask the seller if it would be possible for him to send me get a bill of $100 in his name and then send it to me along with a declaration.

^

If you undervalue a product, the customs can re evaluate it for its original value and then charge customs duty on it including shipping cost.

At least, Dipankar Sannyal, the appraisal officer in my case followed the rules, he showed me the book and charged accordingly on my DAC. But again, I was unable to convince him that personal export/imports dont require license in spite of submitting proof from the DGFT website itself. These retards will get worse and time goes, I guess.

:(

simforgotten said:
^

If you undervalue a product, the customs can re evaluate it for its original value and then charge customs duty on it including shipping cost.

At least, Dipankar Sannyal, the appraisal officer in my case followed the rules, he showed me the book and charged accordingly on my DAC. But again, I was unable to convince him that personal export/imports dont require license in spite of submitting proof from the DGFT website itself. These retards will get worse and time goes, I guess.

:(

Did you meet with the Assistant commissioner in your case?

Omg, this is terrible mate. These guys are unbelievable! Don't they have any sense of responsibility, especially since they're representing the Government?!

I'll put out some feelers, I've got a friend who's uncle is really high up in Customs.. no promises, though! I'll get back to you if I have any concrete info.

JT_daniel said:
Omg, this is terrible mate. These guys are unbelievable! Don't they have any sense of responsibility, especially since they're representing the Government?!

I'll put out some feelers, I've got a friend who's uncle is really high up in Customs.. no promises, though! I'll get back to you if I have any concrete info.

That would be great! Let me know if something works out :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

pauldmps said:
I think a mass defamation & agitation online against these corrupt employees are required.

Yea, these sad people should be bought to justice.... This is just so unfair ...

mutant said:
The assistant commissioner has asked me to refuse the package and apply for re-evaluation with a $100 bill from the seller and a declaration. I do not know if its possible for the seller to get a bill for $100 for the phone. About the declaration, I am sure he would be able to do that.

So, don't really see a clear way out here...

Why dont you photoshop the bill ???

Roxtin said:
Is this only a scenario for Mobile or for all type of goods? I am looking forward to get a X360 through my friend next month.

Use ARAMEX. Simply the best there is. No hassles at all, they'll get it through to you in no time. If you want to know how much customs that is applicable on a particular item (X360 in your case), ask the Shop n Ship facebook page and they'll reply within hours.

Aha, wonderful. Then what are you worried about? Tell him to ditch the box and bring it in his bag. Nobody will question him, since it will (appear to) be a personal belonging of your friend.

Getting it in person is the best way of importing personal products!

^

Rs 25000 in the limit of carrying electronics goods along with you during travel. Laptop is considered separately. If your friend exceeds the limit, he has to pay customs.

@ Mutant

I met the assistant commissioner personally. He was an old chap and always busy with something.

After a lot of struggle and visits to custom office. I was able to clear all customs and I had to pay 0 Rs in duties ( aside from 400 bucks of bribe and 1k of travel money and lots of time of mine, I am thinking it went in drain and I should have just paid 6k and done with it..)

But anyhow, I learned a lot about customs and how we should handle it and whats the right approach and ways to get things cleanly.

If people are interested, I can start a thread with all the detailed information on it. How to deal with customs n all.

Cheers!

do start a thread abt how to deal with these customs guys.

its very much needed and honestly dont follow any of these royalpost for uk and usps for us.

my sister's i20 which was supposed to come in 2 weeks or so over usps has not come over iin last 5-6 weeks so far.

and that same i20 which we got sent again through dhl came from us to india to my town in 4 days flat.

this is great usps and indian postal services.

UK---i ordered one bios cheap for my senior's laptop.seller promptly sent it off same day.

this is from ebay uk.

my boss said lets get royalmail international.

i had clearly explained abt aramex.

he said lets try.so it is shipped off from uk on 13th may and now its 29th may and it still reads parcel handed over for overseas delivery.

i have gut feeling that we have to go with aramex to import this thing fast.

i have decided for myself no more Internation courier by governement agencies and use always aramex/dhl for this business.

mutant pls get this thread of how to deal with customs.

pls start it.

it will help lot of our fellows.

Back