Charged 42% custom on Mobile!! Help please

mutant

Skilled
Hi guys!

I am headed off to customs office to see If I can get it changed, a good friend told me it would be good if I take a print out of the current custom rates with me.

Now I am trying to find the customs for mobiles on cbec website

Customs Tariff 2009-10 - CBEC

Now in part 2, chapter 85 ,page number 552 tells me about telephone and says there is no customs on telephones, but they do not mention mobile phones there.

So, where can I find the official rate of customs for mobile phones that I can take a printout of and show it to them while defending my case?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mutant

The fact is that those officers are saying that the duty is 42 percent if you are importing it without the import license.

And in the case of aramex, they have the import license that lets them to get charge at a rate of 1.5%

According to these officials you cannot compare these two cases,

So guys, its better to take the aramex route for getting stuffs from outside.

@destiny Do mail him the copy of the bill you got from Aramex as i already did this he will have 2 different copies for the custom charged @1.3% so will be good for him to prove this to them.

Ill PM you his mail ID

Just came back from the custom office. This is how It went.

I had all the papers with me ( the custom receipt from a fellow TE member, a declaration from the seller, etc etc). So I started explaining him the situation and after listening to it, he says, "We cannot accept our mistake. If you want to prove that we are wrong, you can file a case and go to the court, I am not concerned. We will charge at 42% and that is what we have been doing for the past 1 month, we cannot change the rule for you." Then after pleading for a while and explaining him how I cannot afford the fees and this was my first time importing, I am a student n all....he told me, If I can get a bill from the seller, in sellers name or my name for the phone. And then a declaration from the seller that he has mistakenly declared the value as $300 and that it should be $100 as per the bill he will provide. Then he can exempt me from any duty. If I cannot do that, I either have to pay the duty or reject the parcel and it might ( yes, might! ) be sent back to the seller.

Now I do not know if the seller, would do all that. And perhaps, I would have to fake the receipt I am thinking? Don't know how would I get out of this mess :(

Thank you all for your support and help. I really appreciate it :)

I wish if someone had really filed a case against those retards. They told the same thing to me that they cannot accept they have done something wrong. Its pathetic and what makes me more angry that we dont have enuff power/time that we can invest to teach them a lesson.

^^ exactly, who has the time to fight a case and prove them wrong :( , I mean, wth! they already know that they are wrong, but they can't accept it. I have already wasted 2 days of mine running around, in the end, really, I think its a lost cause, for all the time I have wasted and will waste, I am thinking I should just accept the package and take a 6.5k loss :(

What if you reject the package ? the seller is obliged to return the money isn't it that way ? after they returning the money you can order again through Armex. This sounds like a good option IMHO.

urssriks said:
What if you reject the package ? the seller is obliged to return the money isn't it that way ? after they returning the money you can order again through Armex. This sounds like a good option IMHO.
Rejecting the package, they say, it might be shipped back to seller, but I think they mean to say, we will take your mobile :(

Sad to know of these developments. Atleast in my case the officer was clear in saying that they will not be able to reduce duty but I could give them a letter that the package was incorrectly sent to me and it would be returned back immediately. And these arses don't have any right to say it "might" be returned to the seller. It has to be.

It was funny the way the officer said: Please do not send such stuff by post. Use a private courier and be free of headaches :p

I guess they can't, ask them to give a receipt of sending them back the package to seller... I know its knot simple but can give it a try.
mutant said:
Rejecting the package, they say, it might be shipped back to seller, but I think they mean to say, we will take your mobile :(

pauldmps said:
As far as I know, unclaimed items from customs are auctioned off.

And I would rather take the legal route & pay 6.5k there than paying those idiots.

The assistant commissioner has asked me to refuse the package and apply for re-evaluation with a $100 bill from the seller and a declaration. I do not know if its possible for the seller to get a bill for $100 for the phone. About the declaration, I am sure he would be able to do that.

So, don't really see a clear way out here...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Freaky said:
Sad to know of these developments. Atleast in my case the officer was clear in saying that they will not be able to reduce duty but I could give them a letter that the package was incorrectly sent to me and it would be returned back immediately. And these arses don't have any right to say it "might" be returned to the seller. It has to be.

It was funny the way the officer said: Please do not send such stuff by post. Use a private courier and be free of headaches :p

Yea, lesson learned, either amarex shop and ship or use a private courier, these postal officers are just, sad.....

I wish I had time to teach them all a lesson, but alas, no body has time nowadays I guess...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

urssriks said:
I guess they can't, ask them to give a receipt of sending them back the package to seller... I know its knot simple but can give it a try.

With so many offices there having awesome phones and watches, I somehow think they can :( , and he sure sounded that way....

As far as I know, cellphones are subjected to assessment on the basis of price-list that the customs office has rather than the declared value. That is, if the phone has a market price of $300 in India & it is declared $100, it will be revalued to $300 before calculating customs amount.

It clearly shows that the customs officials there don't have any idea of the rules to be followed.

Back