Cheap way to stop outside noise from coming in through sliding windows and doors?

Can you describe how you are inserting them?

I've been using the 3M earplugs for more than a decade now. Can even sleep with them on.
I use the 3m technique. Pinch the ends and press them inside the ear canal and apply light pressure to the ends so they don't pop out. The foam takes long time to go back in shape like a minute. Sometimes they don't go back in shape so i bend it at top a bit and press it in my ears. My ear canals are big so these come off sometimes.

I use the 3m technique. Pinch the ends and press them inside the ear canal and apply light pressure to the ends so they don't pop out. The foam takes long time to go back in shape like a minute. Sometimes they don't go back in shape so i bend it at top a bit and press it in my ears.
I think the ones you're using is old stock or defective, if they're not going to their original shape at all. It shouldn't take a minute either 30-40s max. The more you use it, the quicker it should return to it's normal shape, so becomes impossible to insert.

You seem to be having the opposite effect. Suggest you buy from somewhere else and test.
My ear canals are big so these come off sometimes.
You may need custom made plugs then.

Just thinking out loud here.... May try experimenting by sticking the sound dampening foam structures (used by youtubers) on a chaddar or sheet and then hanging it outside close to the sliding window with the foam facing outwards. That should break up the sound which reaches the sliding window panes. Not suggesting sticking them to the outside of the sliding windows because then the windows won't slide over each other. Double paned windows are really great at insulating sound as well as heat but are expensive.

I have been in a simar boat where I have two schools, marriage halls, crazy Diwali bursting crackers, abuse of loudspeaker which convinced me to go for uPVC windows. It's an expensive solution but it's the only one which worked.

I have been in a simar boat where I have two schools, marriage halls, crazy Diwali bursting crackers, abuse of loudspeaker which convinced me to go for uPVC windows. It's an expensive solution but it's the only one which worked.
What are the costs? Sound blocking capability reduces over time?

I got it in the pre-gst era for around 50k. I got the entire aluminium 3 pane window replaced with uPVC window frame and one window in bathroom.
Regarding efficiency, it will degrade with time if you do not maintain it. The sealing is very important and with time the seal becomes loose causing sound to leak. In my case it hasn't been that much, but I can spot the difference between 95% blockage and 89% blockage.
Between Lingel Fensterbau and Kommerling, I opted for the former.

Would putting a micro fiber carpet line this reduce noise a bit? Hoping it will reduce the reflected noise.
I was thinking how those house plus audio studio recording rooms are so quiet and i remembered they use carpets to reduce sound and using double paned windows. I don't have budget for double paned windows but can try the carpet trick. Lol.

Shanno Carpet for Wedding, Stage, Exhibition, Party, Office, Hotels Decoration, Living Room and Wall to Wall Carpet Size 10 x 10 Feet Color Dark Grey https://amzn.eu/d/1fLsZ8j

It goes deep into the ear and not everyone, including me, find it to be comfortable.
It doesn't go into ear let alone deep inside, for me at least. Threw them away and was pissed so much that I even bothered to leave a review.
Any other earplug please?

I am unable to sleep properly (sometimes if at all) due to external noise nuisance for past 2 years. Only that in my case it's not human created but animals, Indian koels specifically. Bloody parasites keep cooing when it's still dark and they never stop ffs. I'm very sound sensitive and these high pitched noises just kill me

It doesn't go into ear let alone deep inside, for me at least. Threw them away and was pissed so much that I even bothered to leave a review.

I am unable to sleep properly (sometimes if at all) due to external noise nuisance for past 2 years. Only that in my case it's not human created but animals, Indian koels specifically. Bloody parasites keep cooing when it's still dark and they never stop ffs. I'm very sound sensitive and these high pitched noises just kill me
Well, if you cannot use that then no one can help you with any earplugs. You will need to soundproof your windows seeking professional help.
I have the same problem with bird calls and the earplugs work fine for me.

Any body got those sound proofing windows? Do they block well? I want to soundproof the windows.
Yes I have. But even those are no use if the speakers are right outside.

I tried the 3M earplugs but they only help a bit.
There's another way to use them for better sound isolation. You have to insert them so deep that they practically become invisible in the mirror. I had to use them this way to suppress barking.

Does this actually stop dust from entering? I have large gaps around my main door from which dust and sound enters. The gap almost becomes zero during rainy season due to wood expansion.
Check other similar products. Amazon has a huge variety of items that can fill the gaps in your windows or doors. But bare minimum, you'll have to replace old strips (which are usually rubber) with newer thicker glass wool ones. Also make sure you have some sound absorbing material inside your room (like carpet or thick curtains). If you room has reverb problem then it's going to intensify the noise problem you already have.

I think best thing for your situation is using a thick soundproofing blanket over the window. You stick it using velcro. Have a look at this video for an idea.

The biggest problem is when the speakers are kept a few feet away from my windows.
Do you rent or own your space? I wouldn't have tolerated either way.

I've been using the 3M earplugs for more than a decade now. Can even sleep with them on.
This is correct. It takes a few nights to get used to though. For a first few days them seem uncomfortable. But then there was a time when I couldn't sleep without them on. I felt insecure without them. lol. I don't keep the string though. As these can be washed, a single pair of 3M earplugs easily last me a year.

Even I wasn't able to use them in first attempt. You have to learn it.

--
Nowadays, I listen to some youtube channels. These have very good monotonous voices that help me go to sleep quickly.

Well, if you cannot use that then no one can help you with any earplugs. You will need to soundproof your windows seeking professional help.
I have the same problem with bird calls and the earplugs work fine for me.
Hmm thanks. I'll keep searching. All other earplugs work totally fine with my ears but these. But the normal earplugs (earphones) are not long enough to go deep in my ear thus forcing me to go for these special types
Even I wasn't able to use them in first attempt. You have to learn it.

--
Nowadays, I listen to some youtube channels. These have very good monotonous voices that help me go to sleep quickly.
I tried everything. Pressed them so much to make them go in, but nope. Not soft enough to deflate; too thick. Never found proper seal.

Back