Storage Solutions Choosing the correct Internal Hard Drive

vinayaga

Adept
When was the last time you bought a new 1tb or 2tb internal hard drive ? It used to be a simple decision three years back, pick the cheapest Seagate or Western digital based on the drive capacity that you need and you are all set to use and enjoy it for many years.

Not so anymore, especially if you need a high capacity internal drive. There are so many newer models and sub versions that it becomes a major pain if you buy the wrong drive. I have gone through this pain in the last few months and hence did a quick write up on the various options based on my own experience in my blog ( Blog ) and reproduce the same below :

Internal Drive: There are a few factors to consider if you need a new internal drive.

1. Usage : Is this a drive that is going to go into your computer and be used once in a while for data access ? Or is this going to go into a enclosure that will be on many hours in a day (say for media player, FTP server or a backup server). Or do you need it as a primary boot drive in your primary computer ?

2. Heat : How much heat will the enclosure create ? Is it a nice computer cabinet with plenty of fans to circulate air or is it a small NAS/USB enclosure with hardly any fan movement ?

3. OS and Raid : What operating system (Windows 7, Windows XP and Linux) will be used to access the drive ? And will you have some form of Raid ? Yes, it seems like a idiotic question, but trust me, this has a bearing on the choice of drive.

Once you have answers to the three questions above, you can pick the right drive from below:

Seagate 7200rpm 1tb (Barracuda 7200.12) : (Fast, Hot, All OS) These are fast and really hot drives. They are ideally suited for boot drives which are quick, but need a lot of air circulation to keep them cool. They work well on any operating system. I have seen one such drive being used in a enclosed media player that failed because the temperature reached over 80degrees. When we took it out, it was so hot that we could not even hold it. So DO NOT use them in tight enclosures.

One point to note. When it comes to Seagate drives, avoid the older Barracuda 7200.11 drives at any cost. There are some good drives in that series, but the amount of issues and heat in the series is not worth taking a risk especially when the 7200.12 series is easily available.

Seagate LP 5900rpm 1tb and 2tb (Barracuda 7200.12) : (Medium fast, medium hot, All OS) These drives are the Seagate answer to the slower competition drives that generate less heat. They are a good compromise drive if you have a enclosure with less air circulation and are still looking at reasonably good performance. So there is nothing extraordinary about this HDD, but it is a good compromise of performance, noisiness and power consumption.

There is one note of caution that I read with these drives. The Seagate LP has a much lower load/unload rating of 50,000 cycles, . Reason being, the Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB uses the older Contact Start-Stop (CSS) technology to park its heads, while the other drives use the more updated and more reliable Ramp Loading technology. Not sure if we will ever hit the 50k number, but you never know !

Western Digital WD20EARS : :clap: (Fast, Cool, Windows 7, no Raid) These are excellent drives in general and come with 64mb cache. Run fast and run cool and are a great value for money. But with all good choices, there is a major caveat. The WD20EARS, along with the companion 1TB WD10EARS, are the first 3.5" drives to hit the market with Western Digital's new formatting structure, which divides the drive into 4k byte sectors instead of the smaller 512-byte sectors used in current drive technology.

What this means is that if you want to use a old OS like Windows XP or a NAS box or a USB enclosure with its own adapter, the incorrect partitioning and formatting can make the drives many times slower and the data unreliable. If you need a fantastic drive on a new OS like Windows 7 or a new Linux variant, go for this drive with your eves closed. But if you are not a geek who can find their way around with manual partitions and sector alignments, stay away from this drive for all other operating systems and enclosures.

Western Digital WD20EVDS : :clap::clap: (Fast, Cool, All OS, no Raid) : The latest entrant in the crowd, WD calls these as media capable drives that will fit in any existing enclosures. In layman's terms, it means that WD realized the the WD20EARS drives as described above would have been winners without the advanced format stuff that they added. So they took out the advanced format and made normal drives that go anywhere, run cool and are reasonably fast). Alas, only 32mb cache, but the best all round general purpose drive at this point !

Western Digital WD20EADS : (Medium fast, Cool, All OS, no Raid) Four platter 2tb drives that are not available easily anymore. They are drives that run cool, work across all OS and are generally average performance. Old drives, so stay away if possible.

Western Digital WD2002FYPS : (Fast, cool, RAID) WD's way to make money if you need raid support. If you need to use the drives in a raid enclosure, make sure you get these drives, otherwise the normal drives do not respond fast enough for the raid commands, thus rendering the raid unusable. There are plenty of tips in the net about using a WD internal tool to make all drives RAID compatible, but the tip is not a gurantee.

Samsung F4 2tb : :clap: (Blazing Fast, Cucumber COOL, All OS) One of the best drives available in the market for all and any purpose. The only black spot is that the Samsung warranty is not the best of class. The bad news is that it is just not available in countries like India (I would be willing to pay a 10% premium if these were sold in India !).

Hitachi is another option, but the distributors are not stocking 2tb drives and not even coming out with the exact version number they sell in India.

So there you go folks, all the research poured out in one page. Hope this helps someone who is looking for the same information.

Re: Choosing the correct Internal Hard Drive...

Amazing writeup vinay. Thanks for the information as i was just looking to get a 2Tb Drive.
Would it be possible to include the Stability and Failure Rates for these drives if possible, i mean it dsnt have to be any specific data points , just what you have read/come across over the internet. This would help me decide on Drive to use for backup purposes :p ..

My Seagate 1tb heats up like hell in vantec docks if i use them overnight to transferr,backup Data. So yeah you can forget using them in Eclosures at all.

Bty,
Something like Medium Fast,Cool and Extremely Reliable would be my choice for a 2Tb Backup Drive, what would you recommend for such

I would suggest WD20EVDS for 2tb backup drives to be used in external enclosures. WD20EARS would work well if the external adaptor understands advanced format (good chance it will not). WD20EVDS seems to be the third generation 2tb drives from WD, hence more reliable. And they run real cool and is fast as per the reviews. The only issue is that WD20EVDS seems to be available only with Amarbir in lynx-india. No one else seems to be stocking them.

As for reliability of the drives, that is a different story. Have all the data in my head, just too lazy to type it all over again !!! In short, Samsung F4 is the best, not available anywhere. WD green followed by Seagate LP seems to be your best available bet in reliability.

Good thread :) am planning to get a 1TB and decided on 7200.12 :D I got plenty of airflow in my elite430 :D my current 500gb 7200.12 runs @25c while WD Blue edition 160gb is running for :p 30c :D lol ..but nice write up quite helpful

I have a Vantec HDD Dock which i use with Win 7 OS for backup purposes. But it seems from your post that the WD20EARS would have compatibility issues with it right?
Bty for WD20EVDS did you check with any of the Bangalore dealers(ankit,ashirward etc?)
Is WD20EVDS even listed on Lynx or was it in an online conversation that he/his helper told you about its availability?

Depends on how the Vantex dock handles the drive. If you are using Windows 7, you might still be okay, but if the dock is doing some interception of the writes, then there will be trouble. So why take a risk, go with the WD20EVDS .

And yes, it is listed in the lynx website. Maybe you can ask Ankit or Ashirwad and get back to us ? Even I need the same drive.

Western Digital 2TB Audio Video Drive- WD20EVDS

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Thanks. If you want a 1tb drive, you can consider the Samsung F2 1tb drives. Have seen them in S.P.Road and is available with Lynx.

deathgoddg said:
Good thread :) am planning to get a 1TB and decided on 7200.12 :D I got plenty of airflow in my elite430 :D my current 500gb 7200.12 runs @25c while WD Blue edition 160gb is running for :p 30c :D lol ..but nice write up quite helpful

Good guide.

You can also add something about WD Blue & WD Black also.

As for Hitachi 2TB's there is only one model in 7200 RPM HDS722020ALA330

the other is a SATA 6GBps based one which is not available here.

vinayaga said:
Depends on how the Vantex dock handles the drive. If you are using Windows 7, you might still be okay, but if the dock is doing some interception of the writes, then there will be trouble. So why take a risk, go with the WD20EVDS .

And yes, it is listed in the lynx website. Maybe you can ask Ankit or Ashirwad and get back to us ? Even I need the same drive.

Western Digital 2TB Audio Video Drive- WD20EVDS

Yup i would try to find out as soon as possible from bangalore vendors(currently i am in mysore so thats the holdup).
Thanks again for providing your inputs

Revolution said:
Reliability is the main issue for me when it comes to HDDs.....
Which is where the problem becomes subjective. Take a look at every hard drive available in newegg that is over 1.5tb. All of them have a one to three ratio of people reporting failures, bad sectors and DOA. There seems to be no common deduction that can be made based on these reviews as to what drive is exactly good and what to avoid.

In other words, the failures and reliability has become a matter of luck with the high capacity drives. I myself bought three 1tb drives (2 seagate and 1 wd green) plus three 2tb drives (1 seagate and 2 wd green) in the current year. One WD was dead on arrival, one seagate started developed bad sectors in 6 days. I see the same story with other folks too. So which brand do you pick ?

vinayaga said:
Which is where the problem becomes subjective. Take a look at every hard drive available in newegg that is over 1.5tb. All of them have a one to three ratio of people reporting failures, bad sectors and DOA. There seems to be no common deduction that can be made based on these reviews as to what drive is exactly good and what to avoid.

In other words, the failures and reliability has become a matter of luck with the high capacity drives. I myself bought three 1tb drives (2 seagate and 1 wd green) plus three 2tb drives (1 seagate and 2 wd green) in the current year. One WD was dead on arrival, one seagate started developed bad sectors in 6 days. I see the same story with other folks too. So which brand do you pick ?
Exactly the dilemma every HDD buyer is facing. Its also the reason you cant give any HDD maker a vote of absolute confidence. At these times i prefer to go with the brand with better ASS, which at the moment seems to be Seagate with a RMA period of a week or thereabouts.

Vinayaga, excellent write up mate :)

WD green drives are a disappointment ... bought a new one in august ...by november started developing bad sectors..

my Seagate HDD 160 GB has been working properly for last 4 yrs...

btw WD ASS is good ... i got the replacement HDD in 3 days ..

vinayaga said:

newegg has bad quality packing of Bare Drives of most of the HDD's. The HDD used to get damaged when shipping itself.

Most of the purchasers have reported it on the comments.

vinayaga said:

Then we have no other choice but we have to see which brand got best RMA policy and who's after sales service is best in ur area.....

Revolution said:
Then we have no other choice but we have to see which brand got best RMA policy and who's after sales service is best in ur area.....
That's the only option left.

Just to update with an interesting piece of info I read on [H] about the WD TLER and RAID issue :

I think setting the TLER timeout value to 7 seconds on WD drives only *masks* what is really some other incompatibility between WD drives and raid controllers. I say that because otherwise healthy, brand-new WD drives simply aren't going into a deep error recovery cycle within an hour of being attached to an array controller, and subsequently getting dropped from the array. The real cause has got to be something besides an actual error recovery sequence - more likely its some other internal operation that a 7-sec TLER timeout setting also aborts when it takes too long.

Some might say "who cares as long as the WDTLER tool fixes the incompatibility" which misses the point. Because no one bothered to question WHY the drives were dropping from arrays, and everyone it assumed it was about error correction, the assumption spread that every make and model of harddisk needs a TLER/CCTL/ERC timeout.

Source : http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036552093&postcount=13

Please someone help me to chose the right HDD for OS or Boot Drive.

Which of the following is suitable ?

1.Seagate 7200.11 250GB SATA

2.Seagate 7200.12 500GB SATA(gone for RMA )

3.WD 1TB Green(planning to buy soon)

Revolution said:
Please someone help me to chose the right HDD for OS or Boot Drive.

Which of the following is suitable ?

1.Seagate 7200.11 250GB SATA

2.Seagate 7200.12 500GB SATA(gone for RMA )

3.WD 1TB Green(planning to buy soon)
Greens are slower (5400RPM) drives, so not exactly OS material. And its 7200.12 over 7200.11 any given day.

Back