Chrome to Edge

honest1

Adept
Hey everyone,

I'm curious to know if any of you who were heavy Chrome users have recently made the switch to Microsoft Edge. If so, how has your experience been with the transition? I'm interested in hearing about the pros and cons you've encountered – anything from speed and compatibility to specific features that stood out (or maybe didn't).

Sharing your insights could be super helpful for others considering a similar move. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I was on this boat last year, I have been using edge as main browser for the past year.

pros
-comptibility same as chrome
-vertical tabs
-grouped vertical tabs (best feature imo)
-preinstalled
-lower memory footprint and better battery savings because of sleeping tabs.

cons
- bloatware by default

Is there any other good alternate instead of edge? I want to switch my work browser from chrome to something else where lots of extensions are installed.

Is there any other good alternate instead of edge? I want to switch my work browser from chrome to something else where lots of extensions are installed.
Vivaldi is great. Based on chromium, so all your extensions will work, but also has a lot of inbuilt features and customisable look. I like tab stacks and saved tab sessions.

Still, ever since YouTube has gone off the bend, I find myself using firefox more and more. Ublock still works on yt on it.

Vivaldi is great. Based on chromium, so all your extensions will work, but also has a lot of inbuilt features and customisable look. I like tab stacks and saved tab sessions.

Still, ever since YouTube has gone off the bend, I find myself using firefox more and more. Ublock still works on yt on it.
been using Firefox for last 12 years, and all this time it has served me well. And among all chromium based browsers Edge would be a better choice cuz it has been rolled out to enterprise users and MS can not pull off things like google does.

And among all chromium based browsers Edge would be a better choice cuz it has been rolled out to enterprise users and MS can not pull off things like google does.
Hmm.. you do realize that Chrome is also available to the Enterprise users which means jack shit when it comes to what they can and cannot do to normal users.
Meanwhile, in Europe -

Last edited:
Hmm.. you do realize that Chrome is also available to the Enterprise users which means jack shit when it comes to what they can and cannot do to normal users.
Meanwhile, in Europe -
He means that since Microsoft's main selling point is compatibility, they will not be removing features the way Google does.

He means that since Microsoft's main selling point is compatibility, they will not be removing features the way Google does.
Ah ok. I understand now.
Although I would have thought all browsers based on Chrome (includes Edge) would provide the same level of compatibility.
I use ungoogled chromium (https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium)
though you need to update manually and adding and updating extensions is a pain especially for the first time (and I guess every time), but I like to to control stuff with the help of extensions instead of giving it all to gooo.gal
I use the ungoogled build packaged with chrlauncher from here -
It notifies when there is an update available, then downloads and updates, if instructed to do so.
Lately I have been looking at Cromite as it's available for both mobile and desktop -

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm curious to know if any of you who were heavy Chrome users have recently made the switch to Microsoft Edge. If so, how has your experience been with the transition? I'm interested in hearing about the pros and cons you've encountered – anything from speed and compatibility to specific features that stood out (or maybe didn't).

Sharing your insights could be super helpful for others considering a similar move. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
I switched from Chrome to Edge a couple of years back, when everyone was talking about how bloated Chrome had become and Edge was surprisingly better. And it was true, so I stuck with Edge. Now though, the difference is negligible and Edge also has too many features I don't care about and feels a little bloated. I'm thinking of jumping to Firefox as it feels like as long as you stick to Chromium you'll be jumping between various flavours of it with the only selling point being that one is less bad than the other.

I don't like vivaldi but I still use it with one of my profile. For me FF is the one which I use for personal use, Chrome for company official stuff, Brave for all the daily task for my work (Most used) and Cent for another company official stuff. Its easier to keep different browsers for each profile so we don't mix things but was thinking to switch chrome as I don't use it much but its open almost all the time.

For youtube I use Brave

Ok, this feature is also available in Chrome now. Have enabled it !
1703575962041.png

I use it like this on my laptop.

Back