PC Peripherals Computer just shuts down, dont know the reason why

Hello All,

My computer just shuts down for no reason. I am just working, and it just goes off. This happens at some intervals, and sometimes it doesn't happen for a complete day, and sometimes it just shuts down 2 times in one hour.

My specs are:
AMD Phenom 840
Biostar Mobo
4 GB DD3 RAM
Liteon DVD RW
VIP Gold 500 W
Cooler Master Cabinet

I had ATI Radeon 4850 GPU, but I now removed it, thinking that that may be the culprit. But CPU and GPU temps are normal, and I checked it.

Even after removing the GPU, its shuts down.

This configuration is just 3 months old, and SMPS is 1.5 years old. I am thinking that my SMPS may be the culprit now. But it worked flawlessly till now.

Do you think it has something to do with RAM ? But this whole config is new and I don't think RAM can shut down the pc. When RAM is not fitted properly it beeps, I know that, but it doesn't beep, or doesn't do anything like that. I start the PC, do my work, and after 1 hour or after 15 mins it just goes off, as if I had shut down the pc.

What do you guys think, is it the VIP?

Usually, when a series of events on an electronic device makes no logical sense, and are largely unrelated to each other, it is always a power problem.

Also check the power switch on the cabinet , if it's loose/faulty. i had similar problem once and had to change the power switch. Unluckily for me i realized that only after buying another PSU.

No, I don't think the switch is faulty, as its perfect to turn on and off.

BTW thanks, I think I will send the PSU for RMA. But I really hope that the culprit is only PSU and nothing else.

^^ I also checked that. I had two RAMs and I removed one and tried, same situation. Now my dealer is telling me its due to motherboard.

Why is trouble shooting a PC so hard :(

If you have a UPS, it is a very possible suspect. Connect the pc to the mains (make sure you have a spike buster though) and see if it works fine. If not, Its the SMPS or the RAM

Yes, I even disconnected the UPS. So that possibility is also ruled out.

I don't have an extra SMPS, otherwise I would checked with it, and my problem would have been solved. I think now I will need to take my pc to my dealer.

pauldmps said:
I am surprised that nobody suggested this. Did you check that you PC is not overheating ?

One of the many reasons why the PC would shut itself down as a fail-safe method. Do check that the processor isn't overheating. Check with RealTemp 3.67 utility.

CPU Fan 3200rpm is not that normal.

I have this feeling that your m/b. needs checkup.

Check from bios what is the shutdown trigger temperature.
if it is lower, ie., around 40, raise it to around 50-60 and see.

Use Memtest to check the RAM. It should show errors is RAM has faults. If your RAM comes clean then it is the PSU or mobo
I believe op is using stock hsf, 3200 rpm is ok @ 42C for stock HSF (if the bios controlled fan feature is off)
As Prole73 suggested check your shutdown trigger temperature and other OC related settings in bios as well

I had the same PSU coupled with HD4850, it worked fine for sometime and then started random shut downs. Switched the PSU to Corsair VX450 and problem solved. I'm not saying it's the same in your case, but just relating to this situation.

Back