Computer reboots frequently

trojanman

Disciple
Guys,

I am facing this issue since the last few days...computer restarts automatically and very frequently. Sometimes after logging in, sometimes when windows loading logo is displayed, at times when I am browsing the boot options, etc. The restarts are pretty random and sometimes I get to work for 10-15 mins before it shuts down.

Please let me know what is going wrong here and what do I need to check. Attaching my hardware config.

Thanks

Attachments

• info.JPG
    info.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 129
  • info2.JPG
    info2.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 131
check your RAM modules. Put one at a time, start and check. Most probably the issue might be with one of ur RAM's or both.

I am not an expert though. Wait for others to comment.

#trojanman Mostly your PSU is the culprit as your CPU should not overheat in 10-15 mins of usage.

Use a spare PSU or borrow your friend's PSU and connect it to your system and check it by keeping the system switched on for about 30-60 mins, if it works normally then your PSU needs to be RMAed if its in warranty.

Hope this helps.

Do update here on the progress
<

Wow within 1 hour, people have suggested the best solution for this. I suspect the PSU.

Rams if gone wrong might have given BSOD.

Check CPU temps. Check whether your CPU fan is running as it should be.

If you have a graphics card check that as well.

thanks a lot for your replies.

I will check & post the CPU temps once I reach home. CPU fan speed seems good enough and I have got no separate graphics card either (onboard)

Actual pain would be to find a spare CPU now
Invision18.gif

I had same problem but diffrent way like as soon as anyone use ANY switch in house (fan,tubelight, fan-regulator) my P4 system restarts every time - after lots of hassel & unnecessary expenses (new wireing, fittings, spike) finally come to know that PSU was culprit. I Change the PSU & all settled.

How if you can post your system details here?

HTH

I can't even login now. Comp restarts within 20-30 secs of switching on.

As you guys mentioned problem seems to be with my PSU. But is CPU temp affected by a problematic PSU?

Secondly, i had purchased this psu (gigabyte superb 360w) in Oct 2009 with 3 years warranty. But the date of import on the box is July 2008. So is the product still in warranty?

Thanks

I can't even login now. Comp restarts within 20-30 secs of switching on.

As you guys mentioned problem seems to be with my PSU. But is CPU temp affected by a problematic PSU?

Secondly, i had purchased this psu (gigabyte superb 360w) in Oct 2009 with 3 years warranty. But the date of import on the box is July 2008. So is the product still in warranty?

Thanks

IMO if you have the purchase invoice then you will definitely get the full 3 years warranty

This is strange but I removed the PSU yesterday, did some dusting, reconnected all the cables and Comp has been working fine till now without any restarts. After ~5 hours of usage the CPU temp is only around 46°C.

I do not know what more to ask but is this only temporary before everything goes bonkers again?

Also, when you all say CPU is overheating, is it because of bad PSU causing CPU fan to rotate at slow speeds?

Always remember dust is the culprit with regards to overheating. Wait for a day or two. If everything goes fine then you are good. But if it starts all over again within a day or two then its time for you to change your PSU

This is strange but I removed the PSU yesterday, did some dusting, reconnected all the cables and Comp has been working fine till now without any restarts. After ~5 hours of usage the CPU temp is only around 46°C.

It could also have been a connection issue. Did you reconnect the PSU just before it went into the reboot cycle ?

If possible post the screenshots of Real Temp here but the temps you are stating are pretty fine.

I do not know what more to ask but is this only temporary before everything goes bonkers again?

Hang in there use it for some days before coming to a conclusion.

Also, when you all say CPU is overheating, is it because of bad PSU causing CPU fan to rotate at slow speeds?

No it doesn't mean that buddy. The processor temps could go through the roof for a variety if reasons. It could be improper placement of the processor fan, the TIM may be needed to be re-applied etc etc. But that doesn't seem to be the case with you so don't worry about it as of now.

Hope this helps.
<

Comp is running fine now except that the grrrring sound of the CPU/PSU fans seems to get louder after ~3 hours of usage. Attaching the CPU temp. details after about 4-5 hours of normal usage.

@cooleagle: i had not touched the PSU before this issue started appearing. However, due to painting work, I had to move the CPU around the house quite a few times in the last week.

Attachments

• info4.JPG
    info4.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 123
@cooleagle: i had not touched the PSU before this issue started appearing. However, due to painting work, I had to move the CPU around the house quite a few times in the last week.

That should not have any effect on the connection as it is secure with the clips on the 24 pin cable unless your were throwing your cabinet here and there
<

Comp is running fine now except that the grrrring sound of the CPU/PSU fans seems to get louder after ~3 hours of usage. Attaching the CPU temp. details after about 4-5 hours of normal usage.

The temps are not very high. You should do a complete clean up of your cabinet by removing components, processor, fans and clean them up nicely as you seem to have a lot of dust in your cabinet and on the fans which could be the reason for the sound.

Do update if it solves the problem.

Hope this helps.
<

Back