configuring access point

Hi
I am trying to configure a access point for my home. My existing adsl router/modem to a tp link wireless access router.
After i configured the new tplink access point with a ip in the range of my adsl router 192.16.8.1.1 I hooked it up using a cat cable from adsl lan port to the ethernet port on access point. I do not see any link on the access point.
do i have to connect one end to my main adsl router wan port and and other to the ethernet port on access point ?

Also I tried to configure it as a reapeter. I am able to see the existing adsl wireless router in the survey but even after entering the same password as in the main router. I am unable to see the access point network once its restarted.
Where am i going wrong ?

Please help ! Thanks

model nos for both please

telco wire --- modem - --- cat5 ----router -----pc ( wired ) or wireless to peripherals.

Sorry for the late reply !
My main router is a dsl-2750u
Access point i want to configure is a TP link wa801nd wireless and access point.
I tried going to the first mode ap mode and tried to set the ip in the range of the main router 192.168.1.4
when i try to connect ethernet cable from my main router lan port to the ethernet port in access point but it does not show any link.
Cable is fine since if I connect one end in the main router lan port and other in the laptop i can access internet.
Please help

to configure any (DSL or ADSL) router as access point with roaming facility, first you need to configure the main router as DHCP server, the secendry router DHCP Should be disabled. now connect the CAT5 or CAT6 cable from main router to any LAN port (Yes! the lan ports not the single WAN port) of the secondary router. For Seemless Roaming of WiFi Signal configure both router SSID as same and wireless security type as same with same password.

Believe me! I've done this many times...

Great Thanks for the help. I will check out my router settings.
I think dhcp is enabled on my main adsl router ( I will check again and confirm )
The second access point router is to be used by my colleague one floor above. We have already done the cabling from my house to his house.
I think we would have to set the ssid names and password different. Will it work this way or it has to be same ssid and password ?

Same SSID and Security settings are required for seemless roaming and switchover, if that option is not required then any SSID and password will suffice.
By connecting the LAN cable to secondary router through LAN port, the router will act as a switch with WiFi capability.

I am able to get it to work if I use the cable that came with my adsl router. Here is what I tried.
Configured my friends device tplink wireless access point as access point with the same ip range of the main router 192.168.1.4 and same subnet
Ran one end of cable ( provided with adsl router from the main routers lan port to the Ethernet port of tplink access point.
I am able to see both the wireless connections on my phone and able to connect individual and browse.

I changed the cable and took the device to my friends place and connected the cable that is lied from my house to his.I see no connectivity on the lan port on his tp link device thus not able to see the wifi device on phone. What could be wrong ? I think both the cables are straight.

The connection is fine too since if I only hook one end to my adsl and other end to my laptop at his room I am able to browse.

Back