Confused between iPhone 15 vs S23

For me, S23 it is.

The iPhone 15's OS is inferior, face ID is not as convenient as FP sensor & it looks bad because of the ugly notch up front. 60Hz might not be an issue for many, esp ones who have never used a 120Hz panel. My S20FE's camera is still decent vs my friend's S23 ultra, so IMO camera differences are hard to spot. Surely night time photos are good to compare cams but IMO both S23 & iPhone 15 has competent cameras. S23 has the benefit of a telephoto lens which is handy at times.

For an Apple user, they might never know what iOS is missing. Also they might be into the ecosystem, so Android phone might be a con for such people. For 2 gens, battery life has been an issue on androids because of Samsung fab made chips, but S23 is not using one of such chips.

He want to last it at least 5 years

For me, S23 it is.

The iPhone 15's OS is inferior, face ID is not as convenient as FP sensor & it looks bad because of the ugly notch up front. 60Hz might not be an issue for many, esp ones who have never used a 120Hz panel. My S20FE's camera is still decent vs my friend's S23 ultra, so IMO camera differences are hard to spot. Surely night time photos are good to compare cams but IMO both S23 & iPhone 15 has competent cameras. S23 has the benefit of a telephoto lens which is handy at times.

For an Apple user, they might never know what iOS is missing. Also they might be into the ecosystem, so Android phone might be a con for such people. For 2 gens, battery life has been an issue on androids because of Samsung fab made chips, but S23 is not using one of such chips.
And in future he want to use wearable like galaxy buds pro 2/ airpods pro 2 considering these which would be better like anc or transparency vgerah vgerah

He want to last it at least 5 years. He is looking for long term.
Either will work if you can get battery changed.

Thing is you are buying into an ecosystem. If you go with iPhone then apple's accessories will work best.

So think a step ahead. What will you use with the phone. What you will attach it to.
And in future he want to use wearable like galaxy buds pro 2/ airpods pro 2 considering these which would be better like anc or transparency vgerah vgerah
Both are equivalent with Samsung offering aggressive price drops with their buds from time to time. You won't get that with apple
My S20FE's camera is still decent vs my friend's S23 ultra, so IMO camera differences are hard to spot. Surely night time photos are good to compare cams but IMO both S23 & iPhone 15 has competent cameras. S23 has the benefit of a telephoto lens which is handy at times.

Last edited:
Sounds like all you friend needs is a long lasting phone. Either will do in that regard. iPhone 15 over S23 any day, on the basis of software, reliability, camera. S23 will have better battery, maybe better display as well. Both are ridiculously overpriced for what they offer.

Don't have either phones. Opinion based on numerous reviews on the internet, and on the basis of past experience with both companies.

Sounds like all you friend needs is a long lasting phone. Either will do in that regard. iPhone 15 over S23 any day, on the basis of software, reliability, camera. S23 will have better battery, maybe better display as well. Both are ridiculously overpriced for what they offer.

Don't have either phones. Opinion based on numerous reviews on the internet, and on the basis of past experience with both companies.

iOS is pretty basic if used alone. So I don't know how software is better. Few things are better but without buying into whole apple system software point is meaning less.

For camera depending on ambient conditions either can perform better actually.

If he has never used iOS and does not have any other Apple product, is a tech noob, get S23. There are so many who would buy an iPhone just because it is a cool phone to have and then crib till the end of time.

If he wants a phone to showoff, get an iPhone 15.
+1

My friend gifted his wife an iPhone 13 few years back & she was excited at first (her previous phone was android). But later she found that she can't just download any file type & forward it to someone else on slack/email/WA, which annoyed her a lot as she can't just take care of some basic work stuff on her phone & have to use a laptop for anything other than basic texting or reading. My friend (same one) on the other hand uses an iPhone as well as an Android phone, like an elephant he has one for showoff & another for actual use (currently OP11R).

Its hilarious how much people spend on showoff but that has been the case with Indians for a long time.

Agreed. We have crossed the point of diminishing returns few years back when phones started coming with multiple rear cameras.

Till S8 in 2017, I was changing phones every 2 years or so & always saw a big jump in everything, esp the camera. Move from S8 to S20FE has not been that exciting, surely I got multiple cameras, better performance & a 120Hz display but at the cost of 3.5mm jack & a compact size. I didn't buy S21 back then because of the bad SoC. My S8 was USA model with S835 for reference. Sure, S23 256GB is a great phone for me but the only major upgrade I will get is the compact size, everything else won't be a noticeable upgrade. So spending 50k+ seems like a waste of money to me honestly. But S24 having exynos does put me in a difficult spot if my phone develops some major issue next year when S23 is no longer available & a good chance of S25 being exynos again, not to forget the high price even if it gets Snapdragon.

Buying an iPhone for "showoff" is almost redundant in 2024, and has been for a while now. Everybody and their long-lost cousin has an iPhone these days, including autorickshaw wallahs and chapris with the Unicorn-colored hair. Most buy on EMI and small personal loans. These days seeing an iPhone elicits more "meh, what else is new?" reactions rather than "WAOW AN IPHONE!!"

Having a beautiful Android such as an S23 Ultra, or unique ones such as Nothing Phone will garner more interest these days.

My friend is confused b/w iphone 15 vs s23.
What should he go for. Please suggest
Had the same problem for a friend and in that case suggested the iPhone 15 because the person was already using an iPhone and the experience is that much more polished on iOS.

The biggest con people will tell you is the 60 Hz display and having used that in comparison to the high refresh rate display on my tablet, I can say that unless you are gaming on the phone, it makes no difference for daily use because iOS handles the animations a lot better and consistently. I encountered more stutters on OneUI due to lack of optimisation and it makes the experience much worse than the actual refresh rate. On the flip side, the iPhone 15 screen is great in sunlight with better colour reproduction.

The S23 despite its larger battery actually ends up with worse battery life, again due to relying on the brute force of the hardware for a lot of things. The camera doesn't quite hold up to the 15 now which inherited the cameras from the 14 Pro but with much better image processing, that is not available to the last gen Pro series itself. The 3x telephoto though is handy on the S23.

I still root Android devices on Day 1 and mostly try to purchase those with custom ROM support. It is great for sideloading, customising and also transferring content to Google TV. However, you have to remember that all inconveniences in iOS are due to much stricter sandboxing of the apps which translates into better security and privacy, as far as third-party apps are concerned.

Regarding biometric authentication, I found Face ID to be a lot more convenient in daily use, especially using with gloves, and also because I don't have to change the phone grip. Dynamic island is a bit of a gimmick but it makes the most of the notch.

In terms of design language the S23 is too much like other Samsung devices, so it doesn't have much going for it. The matter finish on the 15 is great but every iPhone I have seen is covered in a generic case, so the entire "showoff" mentality is archaic.

TL;DR: Get the S23 if you want to save money and are used to Android. If money is not a consideration, then the iPhone 15 will provide a better daily use experience, especially with the consistency of experience and design.

Last edited:
The camera on the S23 produces cartoonish colours. I mean I understand people nowadays like oversaturated AF colours so that it appeals more to the like-minded folks on them insta twiter lot. So that's something to keep in mind if photography is a concern at all.
Actually photography isn't a concern. He dont click pictures that much.
Buying an iPhone for "showoff" is almost redundant in 2024, and has been for a while now. Everybody and their long-lost cousin has an iPhone these days, including autorickshaw wallahs and chapris with the Unicorn-colored hair. Most buy on EMI and small personal loans. These days seeing an iPhone elicits more "meh, what else is new?" reactions rather than "WAOW AN IPHONE!!"

Having a beautiful Android such as an S23 Ultra, or unique ones such as Nothing Phone will garner more interest these days.
Actually he is not into show off. He uses a simple cover. He doesn't even like to show apple logo. Neither samsung one. He is a minimalistic. Just want it for long term

Till S8 in 2017, I was changing phones every 2 years or so & always saw a big jump in everything, esp the camera. Move from S8 to S20FE has not been that exciting, surely I got multiple cameras, better performance & a 120Hz display but at the cost of 3.5mm jack & a compact size. I didn't buy S21 back then because of the bad SoC. My S8 was USA model with S835 for reference. Sure, S23 256GB is a great phone for me but the only major upgrade I will get is the compact size, everything else won't be a noticeable upgrade. So spending 50k+ seems like a waste of money to me honestly. But S24 having exynos does put me in a difficult spot if my phone develops some major issue next year when S23 is no longer available & a good chance of S25 being exynos again, not to forget the high price even if it gets Snapdragon.
So when is a good time to get the S23 and it's variants then?

The smaller S23 battery compared to the S20FE makes me prefer the S23 plus instead.

Hmm.. Seems the S23FE in India is exynos unlike the US variant

Last edited:
Back