CPU/Mobo Confusion over Intel vs AMD

Which procy one will you suggest (given the rising ryzen issues around)

• Total voters

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I'm looking to finally upgrade my decade old rig now that I acquired the latest gpu.

Earlier Ryzen was the go to go proccy but recently hearing/reading lots of issues with ryzen setups which is forcing me to stick to good old trusted Intel platform!

Kindly suggest..

B550 doesn't have the USB and SATA issues which were present in earlier BIOS revisions of the X570 platform, and even those have been resolved in newer BIOS (and AGESA) updates.

First gen Ryzen as with any new platform had some issues like memory compatability, linux marginality issue like that. From second gen onwards Ryzen is good. I didn't face any issues with Ryzen even after long running time(3 rigs). Intel is not bullet proof either with fix for bugs like Meltdown caused a decent performance hit.

Intel is not worth over 3000/5000 series Ryzen now. May be alderlake is fast according to leaks but should be very expensive(processor, Mobo and ddr5 ram) and have to live for sometime with bugs/drivers/hardware issues which any completely new platform come with(like ryzen first gen). Plus windows 11 bugs. In Alderlake only tiny 4 cores are enable for windows 10. Any bleeding edge linux also run into issues as well for sometime with alderlake.

Get a

Ryzen 5 3600/5600x/5600g/4650g
MSI B450M mortar

OR

Ryzen 7 3700x/ ryzen 7 5800X/5700G
MSI B550 pro VDH wifi or asrock b550 steel legend

OR

Ryzen 9 3900x/5900x/5950x
MSI B550 tomahawk wifi/B550M mortar wifi
Gigabyte X570S master (if you have budget)
2x8GB ballistix 3600 CL 16 DDR4

and enjoy gaming or whatever you do with the PC.

Depends on the timeframe for your upgrade and budget.

TLDR... I recommend AMD with ASUS mobo and carefully chosen RAM model.

Usual advice applies....

Avoid latest release for cost and bugs initial stages.

Go with AMD for overall VFM and things like performance per watt and performance per dollar.

Go with intel if you want to pay premium and don't mind high power consumption and heating, and if you want absolutely top end single thread performance and ghz clock frequency.

I would suggest you shortlist one cpu from amd, say like 5900x and one cpu from intel like i5 11th gen ... Model number 11400 iirc, then compare pros and cons like mobo cost, cooling requirements, performance per watt, performance per dollar etc.

At this stage you can forget about upgradeability because both intel and amd coming out with new platforms next.

I voted for Ryzen in your poll...

Usual advice applies....

Go with AMD for overall VFM and things like performance per watt and performance per dollar.

Go with intel if you want to pay premium and don't mind high power consumption and heating, and if you want absolutely top end single thread performance and ghz clock frequency.

I would suggest you shortlist one cpu from amd, say like 5900x and one cpu from intel like i5 11th gen ... Model number 11400 iirc, then compare pros and cons like mobo cost, cooling requirements, performance per watt, performance per dollar etc.

At this stage you can forget about upgradeability because both intel and amd coming out with new platforms next.

I differ with your option for upgrades. If he gets say a good B550/x570 Mobo and r5 3600/5600x/5800x now, he can get a 5950X(with almost 3x core count) which is called an 'upgrade' even after 5 years time assuming games more and more using multicores now. Same can't be said about going from i5 11400/i7 11700k to i9 11900k in 5 years time.

Even ryzen 5000 series is a very mature platform now with linux and windows 10 well optimized for it.

Ryzen(zen 4) will be out in late 2022 and take atleast a year to iron out bugs and prices to stabilize, so he has 2 years of time before he even think of total platform upgrade if he builds his new ryzen based PC now.

Yup... I would call 3x core count more a sidegrade than upgrade

But yeah you're right there is still room for improvement if you don't go higher end from the start.

I went for a Ryzen build after ~15 years given that prices are not going to drop soon or to levels which we are comfortable with. As pointed out the Ryzen with zen3 is a stable platform than alderlake when it comes. Also that W11 issue on Ryzen was primarily due to MS wholly working with Intel and not giving enough time to AMD to optimise their OS. The result is visible.
The only issue(nitpicking) would be that you need to update your bios so that new processor are supported. If you getting from seller/retail ask them to do it free of cost.

I differ with your option for upgrades. If he gets say a good B550/x570 Mobo and r5 3600/5600x/5800x now, he can get a 5950X(with almost 3x core count) which is called an 'upgrade' even after 5 years time assuming games more and more using multicores now. Same can't be said about going from i5 11400/i7 11700k to i9 11900k in 5 years time.

Yup... I would call 3x core count more a sidegrade than upgrade

But yeah you're right there is still room for improvement if you don't go higher end from the start.
I guess there is one more refresh for Zen series before zen4 - early 2022 3d V cache CPUs. Mainly cache will be increased, not directly the IPC on cores. But it matters a lot for some workloads. AMD is saying about 15% performance boost in games IIRC.

So if absolutely upgrade possibilities are considered, AMD has an edge.

I guess there is one more refresh for Zen series before zen4 - early 2022 3d V cache CPUs. Mainly cache will be increased, not directly the IPC on cores. But it matters a lot for some workloads. AMD is saying about 15% performance boost in games IIRC.

So if absolutely upgrade possibilities are considered, AMD has an edge.
OP said he acquired latest GPU so I assume he is focusing mainly on gaming. If he uses the system for other workloads as well apart from gaming like multiple VMs,some compiling stuff, encoding etc. With 5950X he can play gaming on 8 cores and allocate another 8 core for VMs or compilation etc and still match 11900k in games.

What kind of Ryzen issues ? any source ?
Cycle through everyday Te thread and also reddit!
First gen Ryzen as with any new platform had some issues like memory compatability, linux marginality issue like that. From second gen onwards Ryzen is good. I didn't face any issues with Ryzen even after long running time(3 rigs). Intel is not bullet proof either with fix for bugs like Meltdown caused a decent performance hit.

Intel is not worth over 3000/5000 series Ryzen now. May be alderlake is fast according to leaks but should be very expensive(processor, Mobo and ddr5 ram) and have to live for sometime with bugs/drivers/hardware issues which any completely new platform come with(like ryzen first gen). Plus windows 11 bugs. In Alderlake only tiny 4 cores are enable for windows 10. Any bleeding edge linux also run into issues as well for sometime with alderlake.

Get a

Ryzen 5 3600/5600x/5600g/4650g
MSI B450M mortar

OR

Ryzen 7 3700x/ ryzen 7 5800X/5700G
MSI B550 pro VDH wifi or asrock b550 steel legend

OR

Ryzen 9 3900x/5900x/5950x
MSI B550 tomahawk wifi/B550M mortar wifi
Gigabyte X570S master (if you have budget)
2x8GB ballistix 3600 CL 16 DDR4

and enjoy gaming or whatever you do with the PC.
My primary focus is gaming even though I hardly get time for game but I need an AIO pc for next 4-5 yrs.
Mostly ryzen issues I read runs into ram compatibility issues or proccy issues itself or something with bios!

Usual advice applies....

I will always opt for Asus no matter Intel /AMD! Just that dont want to fall into issue for no fiddling no reason and waste time troubleshooting things which ends in RMAing both mobo and proccy.

Last edited:
Cycle through everyday Te thread and also reddit!
I have a 2700X running on a B350 Motherboard, upgraded from a 2200G.
It runs my Corsair Vengeance 3000 (2x 8GB sticks, bought separately about 2 years apart) @ 3200-CL16 without even trying.
1634665180252.png

It can game all day long, and also is a full-time WFH daily driver for my wife.
If this isn't a no issues build, please tell me what is?

I have a 2700X running on a B350 Motherboard, upgraded from a 2200G.
It runs my Corsair Vengeance 3000 (2x 8GB sticks, bought separately about 2 years apart) @ 3200-CL16 without even trying.
View attachment 117656
It can game all day long, and also is a full-time WFH daily driver for my wife.
If this isn't a no issues build, please tell me what is?
Some peeps are lucky, others do not have to bother while some have headaches like anything...Unsure where will my luck take me..

I'm looking to finally upgrade my decade old rig now that I acquired the latest gpu.

Earlier Ryzen was the go to go proccy but recently hearing/reading lots of issues with ryzen setups which is forcing me to stick to good old trusted Intel platform!

Kindly suggest..
Amd 3000/5000 series has become the main workstation of many people now given the huge IPC improvement of the latest chips.
Board partners are now making workstation grade mobos for the AMD platform which demand stability above anything else. All the issues were true but were only till second gen.
Amazon Web services/ Google cloud are now providing Threadripper based cloud machines to customers. I highly doubt that they would adopt the platform if it was not stable in a use case where stakes are extremely high.
Unless you need something very intel specific such as Thunder bolt( which infact is also available in few X570 boards).Or your application is tailored towards Intel , you should not worry about it too much.
Get whatever fits your budget and fulfills your requirements.

My primary focus is gaming even though I hardly get time for game but I need an AIO pc for next 4-5 yrs.
Mostly ryzen issues I read runs into ram compatibility issues or proccy issues itself or something with bios!
I didn't have any memory compatibility issues with any Ryzen 5 1600 or ryzen 4650g or even Athlon 200GE. Issues may occur if you try to mix memory modules with different timings or try to overclock or try to achieve tighter timings which may not be achieved with safe voltages.
There was one major processor issue(Marginality bug) which affected first gen Ryzen chips. AMD acknowledged it and RMAed the Chips. They sent me a Ryzen 5 1600(golden sample) which overclocked to 4GHz.
Intel 7700k on the other-hand applied ordinary thermal grease between processor die and underside of IHS instead of metal soldering which made the processor to run hot by 15 to 20C. To achieve cooler temperatures overclockers have to delid and apply liquid metal paste which costs around 3000 Rs and voids warranty as well.
Till now only K series intel chips are IHS metal soldered. All AMD Ryzen chips apart from Athlons,R3 2200g,R5 2400g are metal soldered.
I will always opt for Asus
Asus make gold standard mobos like Crosshair hero/Maximus Hero but they mostly cheap out on mid to lower end mobos atleast for Ryzen. For example MSI B450M VDH, 6000 Rs worth mobo has temperature sensors for VRM which is very useful for troubleshooting purposes, competing Asus mobos don't have that. I owned a Asus B350-F strix mobo which don't have VRM temp sensors either. It is better to do some analysis and choose best mobo in the price range of your allocated budget rather than going straightaway for Asus(irrespective of intel/AMD).

Issues may occur if you try to mix memory modules with different timings or try to overclock or try to achieve tighter timings which may not be achieved with safe voltages.
Anecdotal, but I'm running 2 different memory kits in my build - 2x16GB 3000MhzC16 (Samsung B-Die) and 1x8GB 3200MhzC16 (Samsung D-Die), both Corsair Vengeance LPX, both running at 3333MhzC16 with tightened subtimings. They work perfectly well on my MSI B450M Mortar running 3600XT (overclocked to 4.45Ghz), and ran just as well, with the same subtimings, on the 2200G before the 3600XT as well.
Asus make gold standard mobos like Crosshair hero/Maximus Hero but they mostly cheap out on mid to lower end mobos atleast for Ryzen. For example MSI B450M VDH, 6000 Rs worth mobo has temperature sensors for VRM which is very useful for troubleshooting purposes, competing Asus mobos don't have that. I owned a Asus B350-F strix mobo which don't have VRM temp sensors either. It is better to do some analysis and choose best mobo in the price range of your allocated budget rather than going straightaway for Asus(irrespective of intel/AMD).
Can confirm, top end Asus mobos are good, but in all tiers below that there are options which are better and cheaper.

I didn't have any memory compatibility issues with any Ryzen 5 1600 or ryzen 4650g or even Athlon 200GE. Issues may occur if you try to mix memory modules with different timings or try to overclock or try to achieve tighter timings which may not be achieved with safe voltages.
There was one major processor issue(Marginality bug) which affected first gen Ryzen chips. AMD acknowledged it and RMAed the Chips. They sent me a Ryzen 5 1600(golden sample) which overclocked to 4GHz.
Intel 7700k on the other-hand applied ordinary thermal grease between processor die and underside of IHS instead of metal soldering which made the processor to run hot by 15 to 20C. To achieve cooler temperatures overclockers have to delid and apply liquid metal paste which costs around 3000 Rs and voids warranty as well.
Till now only K series intel chips are IHS metal soldered. All AMD Ryzen chips apart from Athlons,R3 2200g,R5 2400g are metal soldered.

Yeah, I am in the market for a new build and both GN/BZ and Hardware Unboxed, two very serious reviewers, have trashed mid-ranged Asus offerings. MSI boards are generally considered good but they suck at after sales service. Gigabyte has better I/Os but middling rep. So I'm very confused. For my budget (10-12K), I'm probably going to go with Asrock B550M Pro4. But if OP wants to stay with Asus, I guess Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi is a good choice. A bit higher side on the price but it has all the goodies.

MSI has pathetic service no matter they provide sensors for everything but their service sensors are lost somewhere...whereas Asus always coasts a premium even in vfm scene yet it stands to its service.
I'm also keen on Asrock, they got some really competitive mobos out there with great features at a bit low prices.
Anyone who own Asrock and can provide his direct feedback will be cool!

Back