Health & Fitness Corona is in full swing and its not Joke !

My father got vaccinated with Covaxin, he was hesistant but went through with it. They had finally released the effeciency and trial results for the Covaxin sometime after his first dosage. During his second/last dosage he found that the Covaxin is no longer available anywhere except his booth. The only vaccine we are eligible for currently is Covishield at our area and I refuse to administer it into my body. Can anyone let me know if it's safe or effective as Covaxin?
In developer terms COVAXIN is unit tested in India only. No UAT has been done by a 3rd party who has no horse in the race.

It's kind of like a developer saying that his/her code is unit tested and has 0 bugs. No one would put that code in Production even in non-life threatening IT systems.

As for Covishield it was used in full scale deployment in UK since it was developed at Oxford.The total dataset from UK used for analyzing side effects is much more accurate compared to COVAXIN.

As for yourself at this point beggars cannot be choosers. Get whichover one is available.

My uncle on my father's side died as he had not gone for vaccination. But 2 of my uncles on my mom's side had gotten COVAXIN 1st dose and survived the virus after 7-10 days.

Similar case happened to one of my colleague's father and another colleague;s 87 year old grandma both of whom had received 1st doses of Covishield and survived a bout.

The vaccine just increases your fighting chance.

My parents got their 2nd doses of Covishield about 10 days back and I'm thankful they did not have to contract the virus before or after the vaccination, I hope everyone gets vaccinated safely.

I, on the other hand, am in no rush to get vaccinated, will probably wait till June end or July. AFAIK, only registrations have opened for 18+ but no slots are available yet, which is fine. They should first get 45+ their 2nd shots. And once the slots become available there will be a huge rush; I prefer to stay safe at home when that unfolds. Especially given the condition in Bangalore now. Though I'm leaving Bangalore tomorrow for a couple of months to get away from the peak period here.

Appreciate the data and personal reviews for the Covishield vaccine. Seems safe.

AFAIK, only registrations have opened for 18+ but no slots are available yet,
I see, no wonder I couldn't find any slots available for the 18+ group right now. I rarely go out so I'm also in no rush myself. It's also a lot more easier to get vaccinated here at my area due to lower population so will go once it mellows down.

My father got vaccinated with Covaxin, he was hesistant but went through with it. They had finally released the effeciency and trial results for the Covaxin sometime after his first dosage. During his second/last dosage he found that the Covaxin is no longer available anywhere except his booth. The only vaccine we are eligible for currently is Covishield at our area and I refuse to administer it into my body. Can anyone let me know if it's safe or effective as Covaxin?
This is the headache. What happens if we get a dosage each of different vaccines? Will the efficacy be affected?
I cant comment on which is more effective but both are safe. In fact, I know some who don't trust the Indian Covaxin and prefer Covishield--Oxford, AstraZeneca--which has been taken by millions across the globe, so nothing to worry.
Eh I would gladly take them too if I was in those countries lol. At least they have a strong regulatory body. Our govt simply doesn't give a shit. So its not surprising that all sorts of questions arise. Its a legit concern.

Will have to wait for it to be restocked.

India is/was also exporting the vaccines made by SSI, I personally am not concerned about Covishield not being safe.

Last edited:
This is the headache. What happens if we get a dosage each of different vaccines? Will the efficacy be affected?
Mixing is being studied afaik, but don't think there's been any conclusion on that front. So unless there is some progress there, probably best to get the same vaccine for the 2nd dose as the 1st one, irrespective of which one it is.

IIRC, there is/was fear of adverse events due to mixing. So more than efficacy, this is/was the greater concern. At least, initially. However, Germany & France have apparently now allowed (recommended/directed?) people who've gotten the Astrazeneca jab first to get the 2nd jab from another manufacturer.

Disc: Not an expert. This is based on what I've read.

Last edited:
However, Germany & France have apparently now allowed (recommended/directed?) people who've gotten the Astrazeneca jab first to get the 2nd jab from another manufacturer.

I think that was primarily because of the rare blood clot complication of AstraZeneca that was brought to light, and not for any other reason.

Covaxin is a different kind of vaccine compared to the others being studied for "mixing." This probably might not be an issue, but till India approves such mixing it won't happen here.

Instead of taking precautions at home 24*7 I think the best for you all is to just stay at home without setting foot out especially those living in metros and t2 cities. The situation says going out is not worth the risk.
Though sadly people with lower finance will struggle a lot. I unfortunately don't have any advice here. How are online food deliveries being done out there? Do they wear a full ppe kit or just mask and sanitizer?

A simple mask for a delivery guy when he is delivering. That same mask goes below chin when riding on the road.. this is about Zomato and mostly it would be same with everyone given the heat and humidity here.
Wearing PPE will kill them given the extraordinary heat(it's May, temps are already above 35C).

Fun fact- I go for my morning routine at 5:30 am and today 8/10 people I have seen were wearing masks incorrectly (below the nose to not wearing at all). Even the police have given up. The only reason why peeps were allowed to go out early morning is that they don't loose their sanity being stuck at home, while improving their lung capacity. Some idiots take it to another level. Wished I had a shotgun.. :mad:
This is from Mumbai.

This was a good read regarding covidshield/astrazenca and blood clot. It's a good vaccine and very effective but I don't think there's any record maintained for the occurrence of these rare blood clots in India like they do in other countries which is disappointing. Do give this a read fully.

I haven't gone out of my house for a year, I live in a independent house not apartment. We had also stopped house help, do all work on our own, no one is allowed to enter the house. I still got infected.

It's airborne, bro. I don't believe the 6 feet theory. There was a pretty factual publication in The Lancet which highlighted how the way COVID is spreading shows its airborne nature (through AC ducts etc).

A local uncle who was a senior church leader of the largest church org in the state and also public figure among the christians and tribals here and thus well known all over the state died last evening at the hospital. People who were with him alleged that the hospital (govt one) didn't provide him oxygen on time and made him sleep on the floor in corner near the door. They rushed him because of an emergency and he was treated like that. He was also a senior citizen and ~75 years of age. He was made to stay like that for hours. Only after the locals resorted to contacting high govt officials who also rushed to the spot did the hospitals finally gave him an oxygen tank but it was already too late. He died at around 5:30pm and guess what? The hospital reported the cause as a covid death. Like wtf? First they didn't give him the oxygen tank and then later declared his death to be caused by covid. The audacity of these scums. I dont know what goes behind all these pathetic decision making by both the govt and the hospital authorities but imagine how you would feel if they treat your close ones like that. Mention may be made that there have been a number of incidents in the past in which patients parties have vandalized the hospital and tried to burn it down because of multiple deaths caused by the doctors negligence.
We tend to think that our medical staff are all holy and righteous when in fact there are also scumbags amongst them.

A local uncle who was a senior church leader of the largest church org in the state and also public figure among the christians and tribals here and thus well known all over the state died last evening at the hospital. People who were with him alleged that the hospital (govt one) didn't provide him oxygen on time and made him sleep on the floor in corner near the door. They rushed him because of an emergency and he was treated like that. He was also a senior citizen and ~75 years of age. He was made to stay like that for hours. Only after the locals resorted to contacting high govt officials who also rushed to the spot did the hospitals finally gave him an oxygen tank but it was already too late. He died at around 5:30pm and guess what? The hospital reported the cause as a covid death. Like wtf? First they didn't give him the oxygen tank and then later declared his death to be caused by covid. The audacity of these scums. I dont know what goes behind all these pathetic decision making by both the govt and the hospital authorities but imagine how you would feel if they treat your close ones like that. Mention may be made that there have been a number of incidents in the past in which patients parties have vandalized the hospital and tried to burn it down because of multiple deaths caused by the doctors negligence.
We tend to think that our medical staff are all holy and righteous when in fact there are also scumbags amongst them.
To talk about Indian healthcare it's gonna need another thread altogether.

It depends on a lot of things man. I think it is referred to as 'triage', where the medical professionals have to make decisions on whom to spend the resources on when in a crunch. Usually, young people with less complications will be given preference to over elders. Again, things are not black and white in such cases as many factors are there when something like this happens.
Many people who have served in high govt positions and have the contacts are still dying outside hospitals in Delhi as well.

Ya, its unfortunate that many hospitals are also not doing enough when they can. Also if you've been following my past posts on the same you'll know that hospitals are perfectly capable to look after patients, but for "some" reason don't. This is why I don't trust our healthcare as much as others especially in this covid situation.

Something really sinister is going on with hospital beds in kolkata. We discharged 4 patients very early this morning, and all the 4 beds were empty from 9:30 am.
I was anticipating 4 patients within next 30 minutes, but nobody came!!
There's a website which works in real-time to show availability of beds, after 12 I checked the website and it showed 0 vacancy in this makeshift hospital.
Thought it was some technical glitch, instead of calling up the non medical guys who deal with admission/ discharge etc. I called up Sasthya Bhawan directly and explained the situation.
After some call transfers from one guy to another someone called Srijan checked the system and told me " na sir ekhane to shob bhorti dekhachhe" meaning, no sir, system is showing all beds are occupied.
Then I specifically gave him the bed numbers of discharged patients, still thinking it's some technical issue.
Srijan then told me the names of the patients occupying those 4 empty beds and they were not the discharged patients!! ( Since it's a covid only hospital, we send list of patients names and adresses to swasthya bhawan for record keeping and follow up as there's no medical records department)
I didn't understand anything and told him these patients don't exist and clear up the beds in system.
After this lengthy phone call I got busy and didn't check the website again.
Now around 16:00 Hrs, a volunteer (some local guys basically hang around here and I don't exactly know what they do) came up with a list of 4 names ( I was sitting @ reception, grabbing a quick lunch, the girl at the reception was not around) and told me these people are coming for admission. These are those non existing patients. And exactly 4 of them.
Normally any person can come and get himself/ herself admitted here, however till yesterday we couldn't admit anyone due to non availability of beds and returned a lot of people. Today not a single patient turned up since morning despite having 4 vacant beds.
Now all the 4 patients have come ( none lives nearby) and had to admit them as they are genuinely sick, but I still don't know what exactly is going on.

Last edited:
Back