Corona-virus: medical tips and tricks thread

I too have a face shield that I could probably use but it is a welding shield.[emoji23][emoji23]

Already people in my village think I am a freak when I go wearing a plastic rainsuit and wearing a proper mask and growling at people who come too close to me in the market.

Ok. So from what I have read, right way to apply would be to take a small amount, same as a matchstick head, and apply to the inside of the nostrils. Would that be correct.

I too have a face shield that I could probably use but it is a welding shield.[emoji23][emoji23]

Already people in my village think I am a freak when I go wearing a plastic rainsuit and wearing a proper mask and growling at people who come too close to me in the market.
The standard face shields used with PPEs are very similar to welding shields. It will be difficult to get the protective goggles now and they are very uncomfortable and not usable if you wear glasses.
Post automatically merged:

Ok. So from what I have read, right way to apply would be to take a small amount, same as a matchstick head, and apply to the inside of the nostrils. Would that be correct.
Absolutely. Instead of a matchstick, use an earbud.

A small practice may help ( it was used during our training at Geneva) While at home, apply some fountain pen ink/ similar liquid pigment at the tip of your non dominant hand`s index, middle finger and thumb every 30 minutes or so. Do not go in front of a mirror and keep on doing your usual chores at home. After 5-6 hours, check how many ink marks you have on face.
It sounds extremely silly and impractical, but this was a very good training and helped me a lot later on. Though I have long hair and beard, I rarely touch my face, developed a very effective technique of blowing out hair from front of eyes.

Last edited:
I am having to make do with a 3M 9004IN which is just a particulate respirator. I might have to go and meet people once or twice next week as I have to sell some of my produce we grow at my farm.
I was able to find Betadine Mouth Gargle and ordered it but can you suggest any iodine nasal ointment that could be available in India.
Where you getting all the live stock related food for cows during lock down. If you have lot of outdoor space, you can start growing your own fruits and vegetables.
BTW If you had a EV then you have one less visit to the petrol bunk.

Lol, I used a welding shield too since, people in my street who saw me where all laughing, a regular helmet and a N95 mask don't get along well.

In the morning I still see people taking a walk and coughing, I run inside when I see anyone coughing, I am out side the gate to water the plants and fill up the water contanier for the street dogs.

I was waiting for the new financial year to apply for the loan to get the cows. So very happy that I don't have the cows yet to feed. However, know a few dairy farmers from around and feed and fodder is still coming from Punjab, although it has become expensive. My plan always has been to be as much self-sufficient in fodder and feed and my belief has been strengthned due to this crisis.
We already grow most of the vegetables we eat. I tried growing Spinach and Coriander this year to sell in the market and that's what I have to go and sell and that's what I am a little scared about. Thankfully, my district hasn't had even a single case yet, but I don't really believe in the govts numbers so want to take as much precaution as I can.

So very happy that I don't have the cows yet to feed.
Happy for you. In the meanwhile, I would highly recommend that you go through this intricate article about what's really happening right now in the livestock industry right now.

Happy for you. In the meanwhile, I would highly recommend that you go through this intricate article about what's really happening right now in the livestock industry right now.
I know of the hardships mate. I am part of a 200 strong dairy farmers group. Many of them are mega farms which have 1000s of cattles. The good thing is that people like these are finally thinking of uniting and forming co-operatives. Earlier, the group was majorly about knowledge sharing or marketing. But suddenly they are having to unite because they have no standing in front of the govt because they are all private players while companies like Amul and Mother Dairy are govt backed. And that's a good thing in the long run for the customer as these farms have much higher quality control than Amul or the likes and that will be replicated across all the farms and practices of the members of the group.

Working out the supply chain of such a cooperative seems to be the key.
Regardless, I hope you and your loved ones are doing well.

Godspeed, friend!

Co-operatives are definitely the way to go in India. I think our temperament and self policing instincts make that kind of thing strong.

study showed that A2a accounted for 47.5% of the samples. Interestingly, more persons with type A2a have no known travel history to countries outside India
begins in the patient’s throat, then enters his lungs and multiplies, causing breathing difficulties. The scientists said the A2a mutation altered a component of the spike protein (the major protein on the surface) of the coronavirus, allowing it to bind more easily with the surface protein of the lung cell
The coronavirus can be classified into many types --- O, A2, A2a, A3, B, B1, and so on. Currently, there are 11 types, including type O which is the ‘ancestral type’ that originated in Wuhan,

Eat the same bat which caused corona and might be thats the best cure around.. as they say only diamon can cut diamonds... or in hindi (kaate ko kata hi mart hai)

WIth regard to reusing the mask, best method is to use heat. Taiwan FDA says use a pressure cooker without water.
New surgical masks for example are sterilized by using ozone, overdoing this will also destroy the mask.

I have a old bajaj OTG oven, that I will modify with a NTC temperature sensor and controller, to get the desired temperature or alternately I can use my dewalt heat gun, which has a temperature range from 50C to 600c with 10 degree increments.

WIth regard to reusing the mask, best method is to use heat. Taiwan FDA says use a pressure cooker without water.
New surgical masks for example are sterilized by using ozone, overdoing this will also destroy the mask.

I have a old bajaj OTG oven, that I will modify with a NTC temperature sensor and controller, to get the desired temperature or alternately I can use my dewalt heat gun, which has a temperature range from 50C to 600c with 10 degree increments.
Would letting a mask hang in the sun outside for a few days be enough. And I only have a particulate respirator mask at the moment. Can I add something or tie something over the respirator to make it more effective.

Would letting a mask hang in the sun outside for a few days be enough.

Soapy water! the soap will tear apart the virus! let it dry in the sun but I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave them out for days on end - the UV will also destroy the plastic.. (if you have colloidal silver or copper that MAY help - you will note that on copper the lifespan of the virus is a few hours vs stainless steel) with maybe a few drops of water to provide better contact with the copper ions - try with copper sulphate maybe :p (it's dangerous look at the Material safety data sheet)

Masks aren't meant to protect you - it's to prevent aerosol were you to be infected so it's likely any barrier will work effectively.. viruses are incredibly tiny so expecting the mask to filter out viruses is unlikely (it may reduce the risk though of aerosol inhalation and via dust-infection)

Taiwan FDA says use a pressure cooker without water.

How can a pressure cooker work without water?? You need a gas in there to build up pressure so you can denature the proteins at a lower temperature.. if you just heat air in an enclosed space (adjusted for ground elevation) the temp may not be sufficient - in canning for example 15PSI is the approved pressure for many minutes (once the cooker is venting)..

Last edited:
How can a pressure cooker work without water?? You need a gas in there to build up pressure so you can denature the proteins at a lower temperature.. if you just heat air in an enclosed space (adjusted for ground elevation) the temp may not be sufficient - in canning for example 15PSI is the approved pressure for many minutes (once the cooker is venting)..

Would letting a mask hang in the sun outside for a few days be enough. And I only have a particulate respirator mask at the moment. Can I add something or tie something over the respirator to make it more effective.
That will work too, we have sun which western countries don't have or have not get their summers yet. But in city like bangalore dust is a lot especially if you have neighboring buildings under construction.

I would hang it for 3 days to be safe.

Last edited:
oh hmm.. it uses a Electrostatic dissipative layer to filter/attract dust/etc so WATER should NOT be used - interesting - thanks! (and apparently the insides reach 169Deg - honestly it sounds unbelievable given what I've encountered where temp with a pressure cooker adjusted for altitude reaches 130deg or so.. (80-90 deg is enough but botulisim spores are difficult to kill off)

I don't know what kind of masks you are using, but if it's N95 or similar respirators, please don't use hand rubs to clean it. It will destroy the glue.
If you're using surgical masks, try to get those without rubber bands. Those are mostly fake and impossible to keep on for a prolonged period without adjusting those rubber bands and touching your face/ bringing your hands close to the face.
However I still think people who are not accustomed to wear masks tend to touch their faces more frequently to adjust the masks ( that was the logic behind telling people not to use masks under normal circumstances...never saw it mentioned anywhere)

Yes N95 masks washing or even spraying alchol removes the materials static charge and makes it loose its efficiency. N95 is not required unless you enter a hospital or areas of confined space with lots of people.
I used the N95 in the past month for 15mins and not again.

Back