Coway Air purifiers

Attachments

• AQI right now.jpg
    AQI right now.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I think some of us here on TE had a discussion on this during Covid and minimizing the air coming from the doors and having positive air pressure inside the house is the way I think. Having air flowing from inside the house to outside should keep dust and other stuff away. But that is just theory. Somehow air manages to come inside the house from nooks and cracks, doors and windows, etc no matter what we do. Unless we have 100% air tight house, I doubt we could really clean the air inside and make it free of virus, mold, pathogens and dust etc.
General consensus is to get Hepa 13 or higher filters for covid etc.
Thanks, this is very useful. This is not just useful as a starting point, but if I put some time and effort into it, I can actually see it turning into a project that I could use towards my system science degree. This goes to my notes of things to do.

I don’t want to get into my air purifier better than yours debate, but how well an air purifier works also depends on the conditions of where it’s kept. How polluted is the surrounding air, How often are the doors open, air purifier cadr vs the space a unit is covering, etc. So a specific model may works well in one scenario may not work well in another.

It’s just a fan and a hepa filter essentially. Any decent brand (Honeywell, Philips, coway, lg, Samsung, etc etc) will work, you just have to look at these 4-5 main factors, and which are more important to you.
  1. Hepa filter grade, grade 13 and above
  2. Good CADR/cfm, you can google for room size vs CADR guide
  3. Price (device and replacement filters)
  4. A good pm2.5 sensor and smart capabilities (optional)
As for me, living in Delhi NCR, air quality is crap atleast three quarters of the year (PM2.5 >100). I am really particular about keeping pm2.5 under 20, so I have an air purifier in every room hooked up to a smart plug which is integrated with apple homekit. I have three AQI monitors throughout the house which are also synced to homekit. I have automations set up where the purifier will automatically turn on and off based on configured thresholds.

I have a mix of Blueair, Honeywell, Philips and Coway air purifiers between my and my parents house. I lean more towards BlueAir 121 for living, dining and drawing rooms since it has the highest CADR, single filters last 9-10 months with continuous use and monthly cleaning. Cheapest composite filter at ~7K for continuous use. Hepa grade is 13 I think But could be wrong. For bedrooms and study I prefer coway for their filter quality but you can go with anything, Honeywells are typically good filters and really cheap devices. Honeywell aftermarket grade 13 replacement composite filters cost about 1400-1500 a pop and last good 6 months..

I have built my own AQI monitors under ~4k based on the below code with modifications. I’ve had good experience buying IoT parts from htts://www.robu.in. Alternatively you can also buy the kaiterra laser egg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have built my own AQI monitors under ~4k based on the below code with modifications. I’ve had good experience buying IoT parts from htts://www.robu.in. Alternatively you can also buy the kaiterra laser egg.
https://github.com/hackerspace-silesia/Smogomierz/tree/dev/firmware.
File not found. Firmware removed.
Looks like Czechoslovakian language which I don't understand. Edit: seems that all 3 of the laser egg product is discontinued in India.
Thanks, this is very useful. This is not just useful as a starting point, but if I put some time and effort into it, I can actually see it turning into a project that I could use towards my system science degree. This goes to my notes of things to do.
I've started bit by bit to try and minimize the dust and air leakage in my house. I just removed a major dust maker. The main door. Someone here had mentioned to buy a brush tape for windows/doors to minimize dust and noise and I bought a 2m of it and used it on my main door frame and door. Sealed all the gaps and now the amount of dust coming inside the house reduced a lot. previously i could see layers of dust even though i had just dusted and mopped the area. Fan used to turn brown in 2-3 days. Now it takes a week to turn brown and almost no dust on floor. Furniture still has some dust on it. Need to put that tape on windows and kitchen door too.

File not found. Firmware removed.
Looks like Czechoslovakian language which I don't understand. Edit: seems that all 3 of the laser egg product is discontinued in India.

You can use precompiled binaries for esp8266 here or for esp32 here

Laser egg is available on Amazon, but when I had opened my laser egg v1 to replace the battery, it had a plantower PMS3XXX sensor. Better to buy pms7003 and build your own aqi monitor, it’ll be cheaper, more accurate and fully configurable.

You can use precompiled binaries for esp8266 here or for esp32 here

Laser egg is available on Amazon, but when I had opened my laser egg v1 to replace the battery, it had a plantower PMS3XXX sensor. Better to buy pms7003 and build your own aqi monitor, it’ll be cheaper, more accurate and fully configurable.

It is known that the low cost optical sensors are quite inaccurate out of the box and need calibration to provide relevant readings. Even otherwise, they diverge a lot with high humidity, so DIY needs to take care of a lot more things, to get relevant readings.

It is known that the low cost optical sensors are quite inaccurate out of the box and need calibration to provide relevant readings. Even otherwise, they diverge a lot with high humidity, so DIY needs to take care of a lot more things, to get relevant readings.
Yes for sure, but pmsXXXX is the most widely used sensor and relatively most accurate and consistent sensor in the sub 20k INR product category. I don’t think the use case for us lot is to get super accurate results but rather get a reasonable sense of how polluted our environment is.

Yes for sure, but pmsXXXX is the most widely used sensor and relatively most accurate and consistent sensor in the sub 20k INR product category. I don’t think the use case for us lot is to get super accurate results but rather get a reasonable sense of how polluted our environment is.
It's not about super accurate but keeping results consistent with a reasonable amount of accuracy for personal use. One of the problems is calibration. How do you go about doing that?

Or put another way why do you trust or how much confidence do you have with the results you get?

When I thought of these things I put my purchase on hold expecting it would become inaccurate after some time having paid a good amount upfront. Ultimately these are throwaway instruments given their relatively low cost

Last edited:

cheap but not available for my pincode nor sold in any store near me. apparently this can be hacked.

edit: removed yt video which was for different model.

Last edited:
It's not about super accurate but keeping results consistent with a reasonable amount of accuracy for personal use. One of the problems is calibration. How do you go about doing that?

Or put another way why do you trust or how much confidence do you have with the results you get?

When I thought of these things I put my purchase on hold expecting it would become inaccurate after some time having paid a good amount upfront. Ultimately these are throwaway instruments given their relatively low cost
The GitHub repository I shared has a temperature (via bme280) based calibration built in for the pms5003/pms7003 sensor.

Look it’s super easy to setup and cheap enough to build and forget. been using it for a few years now, the results are very consistent. Between my and parents house I have 3 of these, 2 laser egg and another 2 brands I can’t recollect. I don’t see too much variance between all of them, and they’re all within +-10% max of the government aqi monitoring stations (easy to check on aqicn.org). Do what you will with this information.

The entire device with the pms dust sensor, bme280 humidity & temperature sensor, esp32 main board will be less or around 4k. It’s quite cheap. Just build it over a few hours on a weekend for fun if nothing else. Don’t take it too seriously.

I've personally owned three Coway Air Purifiers and for the price they're really good. Filters are also readily available on Amazon and can be changed every now or then

Back