Credit Card Dilemma

#dinjo :

Credit Cards are a need based tool not a replacement for easy loans, so that point is to be kept in mind.

Any good banks with nice service should be good for you, people have good experiences with SBI / HDFC / ICICI / STAN-CHART / CITI and many more.

CITI or STAN-CHART have maximum offers going on, there are many co-branded cards available too.

You can go for any one you like, few things, the card provider should have the facility to pay bill through internet banking of other separate bank accounts.

Also make sure you dont allow direct auto debit facility from your savings account, as sometimes in case of dispute if the bill gets auto debited refund claiming is very tough.

Use CC wisely.

I am a happy customer of ICICI and HDFC, my primary card is HDFC and they keep on upgrading the card type according to your spendings, started from GOLD and right now on Signature EMV card.

And most important keep credit limit to 50% of your monthly take home salary for your own safety.

Strike out whichever section you are not interested in buying specifically so that they dont spoof you by making you pay for silly accident insurance and health insurance.

Keep a photocopy of fully filled application form with you, dont let sales person fill the form for you, fill it your self.

As mentioned by #medpal , never ever let those Sales Rep fill out the form for you . Insist on filling it yourself .

I would say go with a Standard Charted Manhattan Platinum Card .

They have Awesome Customer Service . You might be able to get the annual charges waived off the next year (first year free thereafter 999 + ST per year ) .

It offers 5 points per 100 Rs . Although you will not be able to claim cash back , but like i do , get them exchanged for gift vouchers .

I am a happy customer of ICICI and HDFC, my primary card is HDFC and they keep on upgrading the card type according to your spendings, started from GOLD and right now on Signature EMV card.

#medpal, I have been using an ICICI Titanium CC for 4 years now. And only NOW have they decided to increase my credit limit to 1L from 75k. (inspite of spending loads, always paying on time, and also having made requests to increase the limit)

They have some good offers on online transactions, but on offline ones, you only receive the physical offer coupon, that too only if you subscribe to physical statements!

I recently opened 2 banking accounts, with HDFC and Axis. Just wondering since you are an HDFC CC customer, what are the benefits you personally see from an HDFC CC.

P.S. Which CCs have offers for airport lounge access?
<

My Preference would be Standard Chartered and Citibank. Great offers and really very good customer service.

Have HDFC Platinum card also but stopped using it. Nowhere near the above two in respect of offers(reward points system) as well as CC.

I use a Citi cobranded with Jet. Use the points for tickets on Jet as well as partner airlines. Lots of use though, as I ty to put all my expenses on the card.

Fantastic service from them. Had a fraudulent transaction of 60K, and they handled it very well.

And most important keep credit limit to 50% of your monthly take home salary for your own safety.

When you reach the credit limit, you can still purchase stuff, however you will be charged a penalty for transactions once you cross the credit limit

So, credit limit should be as high as possible (unless it has a negative effect on CIBIL ratings, dont know about that)

^^i've only VISA card(Platinum) from ICICI & HDFC, both have access to airport lounge! at least thats what their instruction booklet tells
<

^ I am not sure how accurate that description is. I too have those, and when I called them up, they said there is no complimentary access in all cases. They mentioned some criteria which I was obviously not satisfying, so I had to pay for the Lounge access.

#dinjo

HDFC is good, but not the best. Check with the bank CC for the annual fees. Usually HDFC sales person lie about the free card.

Just don't trust the sales guy blindly.Cross check it with CC.

I have a Citi CC and its a life time fee card.Service is very good and friendly customer service.

I guess Citi Card is free only for first year then a minimum spending of 30,000 is required annually

#medpal, I have been using an ICICI Titanium CC for 4 years now. And only NOW have they decided to increase my credit limit to 1L from 75k. (inspite of spending loads, always paying on time, and also having made requests to increase the limit)

They have some good offers on online transactions, but on offline ones, you only receive the physical offer coupon, that too only if you subscribe to physical statements!

I recently opened 2 banking accounts, with HDFC and Axis. Just wondering since you are an HDFC CC customer, what are the benefits you personally see from an HDFC CC.

P.S. Which CCs have offers for airport lounge access?
<

I have an ICICI Visa gold card with CC limit only 20000/- and I have never bothered with them to increase it.

As HDFC being my primary bank, I took their card initially with 40000/- limit, they upgraded my card twice and credit limit also without any hassels and from their own records only right now my limit stands at 275000/-.

As I am long time DND listed I no more attend any calls of any new CC, so not bothered about the other companies.

I do not have options to travel by air much so never bothered about it too.

I think there is Kingfisher co-branded CC card which allows lounge access at airports.

People here are bragging about STAN-CHART and CITI but never felt the need to go for any more cards.

I guess Citi Card is free only for first year then a minimum spending of 30,000 is required annually

Mine is free for life. had taken around 3 years back. May be nowadays they are not offering it free.

Currently I am using StanChart Manhattan, 5% straight off on purchases on super markets. This alone is giving me benefit of Rs 5000 a year. This card is free for first year, even if they charge 1k from second year, I dont mind paying it.

I got my [font=arial, sans-serif]StanChart Manhattan[/font] annual fee waived off for the second year.

But I don't like the feeling of paying an annual fee of 999 for cc (stanChat fee), I would probably close it next year if they don't waive the annual fee then
<

I have another HDFC platinum plus card without any annual fee, I can use it with HDFC NetSafe for online purchases which to me is a big plus point.

You should give a thought about HDFC if you make a lot of online transactions.

Personally I don't like anything related to Citi Bank India
<
, 6-7 years back when I had a Citi Card, they enrolled me in some insurance related scheme and started charging for it without my consent, had a tough time getting that reverted, after that I stay away from anything which says Citi.

Back