Crucial Ballistix PC2-8000 on its way :D

RiO said:
Yesssss... managed to pick up 2*1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-8000 memory with low latency timings of 5-5-5-15 @ 1000MHz. Had to spend a bomb on this, but I'm sure it will complement the Conroe I plan to buy in a few months ;)
Wow.. I had my eye on some OCZ's, they were DDR2 800 MHz and rated @ 5-5-5-10. And yes the conroe is on my mind as well..;)

Now can anyone explain which latency figure is more important i.e. CAS, RAS so on and why exactly so..

I'm sure you will find a comprehensive guide related to memory timings on google, but in a nutshell, the lower the timings the better. While that OCZ you have your eyes on is rated @ 5-5-5-10, your best bet is the Ballistix DDR2-800 that does 4-4-4 timings.

It's not for my current rig though... wouldn't make any sense running this memory at 600mhz with a prescott @3.25ghz ... just waiting for Core 2 Duo :)

well i thought id ask u this on u r thread itself... now me plannin on takin the hyperx to 240 ddr .. on cas 2 thats actually 265 -270 fsb (downclockin the thing to 333 then ocin it again ).. will it make that kinda speed ..?? coz uve used it already .. jus wanna know how far i can take it ..and a review also said that when itsalled it s3-3-3-8 and i got to change it to 2-3-2-6 at 2.65 v ..so when i am ocin it what voltage would u recommend?

Yes, default SPD timings for the HyperX is 3-3-3 because not all motherboards can handle low timings (and when there's a problem, chances are the PC won't boot). I've been able to take the HyperX up to 225mhz @ stock volts.... I've read that increasing voltage to 3 will allow you to go higher.

i think my mobo can take it .. its NF3 it better do!. 3 volts whooo !!! is that safe? i don wanna blow my comp... anyway i will try to take it to 230 @ 2.8 v..

Nice RAM,congrats.Waiting for some neat clocks on it.

shrey said:
i think my mobo can take it .. its NF3 it better do!. 3 volts whooo !!! is that safe? i don wanna blow my comp... anyway i will try to take it to 230 @ 2.8 v..

Well what Rio has got is DDR2 and any DDR2 will fry at anything above 2.5 i guess.Also NF3 supports DDR not DDR2....;)

shrey, you can take the HyperX up to 3.2v, don't worry they won't fry but I don't think you'd need to.... at 2.7v I was able to run it up to 225mhz :)

@darklord, shrey was talking about the HyperX not Ballistix... and Ballistix ddr2-1000 runs @ 2.2v stock... even if I do overclock, don't think I'd need to take it above 2.3v.

RiO said:
shrey, you can take the HyperX up to 3.2v, don't worry they won't fry but I don't think you'd need to.... at 2.7v I was able to run it up to 225mhz :)

@darklord, shrey was talking about the HyperX not Ballistix... and Ballistix ddr2-1000 runs @ 2.2v stock... even if I do overclock, don't think I'd need to take it above 2.3v.

Oh i didnt know that,actually didnt read all posts :ashamed:

Thanks for correcting.If he's talking of the HyperX which is CH-5 then it can easily take 3.5V..no issues.Although for a small period of time is recommended.;)

Alright, the bad boys finally arrived and cost me 863 bucks in customs duty but they're worth it after all I guess ;)

Off to install them now... :)

sweet:) The heat spreaders look kinda the same compared to the hyperX but its the performance that matters anyway ... have fun with it :)

Alright, they're up and running... feel embarrassed to run them on a friggin prescott but it's just temporary :) Good thing my board supports native DDR2-600, which is what they're running at now, but I've been able to push it to 330mhz ;)

cpuz11lq.gif
cpuz24wo.gif

Ah gotta change my signature... and mods, could you please move this to show off? :D

No, $510 (Rs.23,799) to ship it to a friend in the US + effectively, $80 for him to ship to India via Fedex international priority (his mom works for AA so she got a 75% discount ;)) + Rs.863 customs duty = Rs.24662 :)

WOW!! congrats Rio! ill wait for 2 more years before getting something like that :p

and btw, thanks to you, i now have some good ram to speak of :)

Yes, I guess I could run it at 3-2-2-7 but my board doesn't support lower timings... I'm waiting patiently though to unleash this beast and run it > 1000mhz under 3-4-4-8 ;)

Back