Crysis 2 - Discussion Thread

....I just have one word to say for the DX11: FINALLY

Glad I waited to finish this one....Still at the beginning....

TO summarise HARD[OCP]:
I guess by now we should just accept that this is par for the course with Crytek but you have to admit that something is seriously wrong when customer's lives are so much easier when they simply don't buy your games and don't accept your "gifts."

These are closing comments from the above article

Crytek made statements that Crysis 2 would have full DX11 support when it shipped. (Conveniently now, that video has been removed from YouTube.) The company even delayed the game for "more time to polish." People that believed the "full DX11 support" pre-ordered the game got a DX9 game instead without any explanation. Then there was the Day 1 patch to remove "press start to begin," auto aim, and other useless console features. Then came the kick in the nuts from Crytek when the CEO proclaimed to the world that these patches were "a gift" coming months later. In the end, what many of us ended up with was hours of our valuable time wasted trying to install broken / rushed patches. frown And many of us spent $60 on a game that was no where near worth the considerable cost. Yes, it is prettier now, but the gameplay and surrounding world is just not on par with what was pitched by Crytek or expected by PC gamers.

I guess by now we should just accept that this is par for the course with Crytek but you have to admit that something is seriously wrong when customer's lives are so much easier when they simply don't buy your games and don't accept your "gifts."

^^

I know that. It took them ~4 hours to install it. CompAddict has installed it to. Was asking him, if it took just as long..!

I am not claiming to be an expert or anything, but the HARDOCP article seems very unfair. Note that I am only commenting about the graphical updates and not on the other more important issues that the game has like the patch install and various issues with MP. Most people are of the view that though the "visual quality" of the game has certainly improved but it is all subtle changes and nothing drastic, but the performance hit is "way too disproportional". This statement is most probably true, but I do not think most people who have made this statement really know what it means! Remember, a seemingly small and subtle change, which is hardly noticeable, improves the visual quality only slightly, but it may require heck of a lot of computation resources to achieve. As far as I know, no one has rigorously defined the term "visual quality" and how to measure it, but for argument sake we may assume there is a way to measure it. The claim being made by many people is that if Crysis 2 DX9 is "100" in our measurement, then Crysis 2 +hi-res patch + DX11 is something like "110". But most people expect performance to be only 10-20% or so lesser! It just might be impossible to introduce these small subtle changes without a massive performance drop. One should not assume that just because these changes are small the performance drop is going to be equally small. Of course, by my argument one can defend any game which is unoptimized, but it is still valid till some other game developers show that the same effects can be achieved in a much more optimized way. For instance GTA IV is one of those games. There are games whose visual quality is much better than GTA IV and run much better also. Something tells me that BF3 is not going to be the game that exposes Crytek. From the rumours on tech forums, it looks like it is going to be the most demanding PC game ever.

People should also remember that DX11 is very new compared to DX9. In theory for the same visual quality DX11 should perform better, but it might take time before the developers learn how to use it effectively. Blizzard have already taken advantage of it in WOW improving the performance by 30%. Since Crytek were focussing on the consoles, there developers might not be fully acquainted with DX11 yet. Hopefully Crytek will do some optimizations and improve performance in the next few patches.

^^

I know that. It took them ~4 hours to install it. CompAddict has installed it to. Was asking him, if it took just as long..!

Took 'em 4 hours to install cause they didn't know how to get it done...as per their guideline now, it takes about 4-5 restarts max...so I dont think it would take long....just downloading it might....Well yes, he can answer it better....

Infected said:
Took 'em 4 hours to install cause they didn't know how to get it done...as per their guideline now, it takes about 4-5 restarts max...so I dont think it would take long....just downloading it might....Well yes, he can answer it better....
asingh said:
^^

True that, it took me 5 hours to download all the 3 patches, 5 minutes to install all of them(texture pack took 3 minutes)

Patch 1.9 is too good man.

At 19x10 Extreme with Dx 11 I get 20-40% more FPS approx, like 60-80 is avg now.

However, I prefer to play at 14x9 Everything Ultra (Motion blur max) but Post Processing at Extreme. And I avg 55-60+ with occasional dips below 50 and rarely below 40-45. It looks much much better at Ultra even at a much lower rez, and the performance isn't bad either, however, not as good of course! :)

Gannu said:
I hope RAGE doesn't offer something similar. I pray that id develops the game for the PC first and ports it to the console.
they are developing separately for PC,360 and PS 3 and all of them runs at 60 fps ( not locked at 30 fps) . Doom 4 will be locked at 30 fps for consoles AFAIK.

dx11, HiResTex On, Ultra

Thought I'd post a few Crysis 2 videos here, not the best of coversions, running dx11 + high res patch @ 1360 x 768 (Ultra). The first one is Fullscreen = Off and the 2nd one is with Fullscreen. While playing with fullscreen off there was a very noticeable difference in smoothness.

dx9 HiRes Off Ultra Settings

comp@ddict said:
nobody in the world has got more fps using DX11 except you,

Pray thee HOW!
Are you really surprised? Are you sure you want to know HOW?

I pray for your sanity... which you are asking for to get duckr*ped!! :bleh:

Back