Crysis 2 - Discussion Thread

I really miss the immersion of Crysis and Warhead. Every leaf, branch and blades of grass would bend, move or react to the player's touch. In Crysis 2 they don't budge even if you empty an entire magazine on them. Consolized :(

Super, and unoptimized.

THe high setting which gives 30fps at 720p on an X360 it's uber weak GPU and architecturally inferior CPU.

In a PC, 3 core, 2GB RAM, and a 512MB HD5550 struggle.

comp@ddict said:
Super, and unoptimized.

THe high setting which gives 30fps at 720p on an X360 it's uber weak GPU and architecturally inferior CPU.

In a PC, 3 core, 2GB RAM, and a 512MB HD5550 struggle.

You do know that there is a heavy API overhead when running on Windows? On the consoles you get direct access to the hardware which allows developers to do some neat tricks. Knowing that every XBOX 360 performs more or less the same also helps. I also remember reading that some AMD person lamented that it is simply not possible to have more than "2-3 times the visual quality" of a XBOX360 on a PC which is "10 times faster"! Of course, I am not claiming that Crysis 2 is very optimized for the PC, only that it is a lot less unoptimized than many people think.

unixguru said:
You do know that there is a heavy API overhead when running on Windows? On the consoles you get direct access to the hardware which allows developers to do some neat tricks. Knowing that every XBOX 360 performs more or less the same also helps. I also remember reading that some AMD person lamented that it is simply not possible to have more than "2-3 times the visual quality" of a XBOX360 on a PC which is "10 times faster"! Of course, I am not claiming that Crysis 2 is very optimized for the PC, only that it is a lot less unoptimized than many people think.
35fps for a game with over bright lighting and 128x128 textures? That's a bit low on a card like HD5850.

EDIT:

DX11 up and running. Only Texture pack left.

But I decided to play the game anyways.

Disappointed. Heavy disappointment. My autoexec wasn't working, so fov set to console's ultra low spec, 60 I think. fov command doesn't work. After playing for 5 minutes, I could feel my eye squinting with a FHD screen running a game at 60fov. Stopped the game before headache starts.

Things I noticed:

1. Water now reacts to bullets, but who cares? It's not essential to the game, at all.

2. Shadows have become a tone down, the over-brightness has come down a little bit, that's good

3. Performance has taken a hit. For what? Supposed visual upgrade which you will NOT NOTICE AT ALL.

4. Sure everything looks shiny now, the taxis shine, particles everywhere. Hardly a way to put a DX11 entry, forcibly reducing performance(not DX11, but stupid shining armor and bug like particles everywhere)

VERDICT: I'm not wasting 1.9GB download on the Texture Pack.

I have Sapphire HD5850, all stock clocks(undervolted however), playing at my usual 1920x1080. Here's what I observed.

Reduce "OBJECTS" from "Ultra" to one notch down, instant 20fps boost. Infact, Objects is taking the fps toll everywhere.

True... Read couple of reviews with comparison shots... Frankly speaking, I was unable to stop difference between regular textures and Hi-res textures. Ultra settings seem to have added extra tessellation and more objects to the scene. Also, is SSAO limited to ultra settings? Difficult to tell by the screenshots.

Back