Current pending sector error

@lockhrt999 @Kaleen Bhaiya @enthusiast29 @nRiTeCh

Thanks guys. Ordered a 2.5" drive in the afternoon, can cancel it as it is not shipped yet. Official video says 3.5" drive and 2.5" ssd
but official website says 3.5/2.5 inch drives can be fixed https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Carbide-Series™-SPEC-01-Red-LED-Mid-Tower-Gaming-Case/p/CC-9011050-WW#tab-tech-specs they have given 4 drive mounts with it and 3.5" hdd fixes well in it. Hope the specs are same for the cases sold in India dimension wise.

Another video-

As per this video from @06.00 to 06.30 2.5" drive can be fixed but it is saying to screw it from the bottom part
Does that mean that we have a go for 2.5" hdd + ssd? Do we need any additional adapter or something for the 2.5" hard drive? Planning to keep the 2.5" ssd as it is without fixing in a bay.

@nRiTeCh
Is 2.5" hdd more shock resitant than the 3.5" drive in general?

All SATA SSDs are 2.5" only except the newer M.2 drives you need not worry about.

HDD however are 3.5" (for desktops) and 2.5" (for laptops, can be used with desktops also) but to use this smaller one in desktop you'll need to fix it properly in a 3.5" to 2.5" bay or at least even if fixing in 3.5" bay then fix 1 side (2 screws) which is what I do sometimes. You can fix SSD also even with just 1 screw it has no moving parts so nothing to worry there.

SSD or HDD?
HDDs are more fragile aka delicate than ssds as they got moving parts while SSD is totally carefree. But doesnt mean you can throw it, bang it or manhandle it!
2.5inch hdd vs 3.5inch hdd in terms of shock resitant I meant.
All SATA SSDs are 2.5" only except the newer M.2 drives you need not worry about.

HDD however are 3.5" (for desktops) and 2.5" (for laptops, can be used with desktops also) but to use this smaller one in desktop you'll need to fix it properly in a 3.5" to 2.5" bay or at least even if fixing in 3.5" bay then fix 1 side (2 screws) which is what I do sometimes. You can fix SSD also even with just 1 screw it has no moving parts so nothing to worry there.
Since hdd has moving parts, so if we fix the 2.5" hdd in this 3.5" bay in the spec01 case then won't it cause issues ahead since only 1 side will be fixed? Want to avoid these pending sector errors this time so going into this much details.
Even if the case doesn't have horizontal bay for 2.5 inch drive you can still mount it vertically to one side.
I am sorry I didn't get the vertical part. Did you to fix it with screws on one side only as it is smaller in size than the 3.5" drive?

Since hdd has moving parts, so if we fix the 2.5" hdd in this 3.5" bay in the spec01 case then won't it cause issues ahead since only 1 side will be fixed? Want to avoid these pending sector errors this time so going into this much details.
If you are going to use 2.5" hdd in a 3.5" space, then you will need to use a spacer to fit your drive which will involve use of 4 screws(2 on each side), so your hdd will be stable.
Regardless, HDD these days are very fragile and not durable as they used to be 10-15 years ago due to competition and companies cheaping out on reliability. Or invest in a drive which offers 5y warranty if data to be stored is important. It will cost you a premium.

My Seagate 320 gb brought in 2006 is still going strong while a 1TB and a 2TB external Seagate brought in 2012 went bad pretty early.

Back