Storage Solutions Data Recovery Help Required

Mr.J

Skilled
Hey guys, have you used any professional data recovery services?

I have one 1TB hard drive that's not detected by the system. I tried different ports, cables, OS etc. the whole nine yards. No luck.
One other 1TB drive is working without any problems. The faulty one needs to be handled professionally.

1. Can you suggest any reliable person/business who offers data recovery service in or near Mumbai?
2. If they can recover data, how will I get it? Will they provide it on another hard drive? Or do I need to give them one?

Thanks

How old is the drive, brand, and was it ever dropped or roughly handled?
When was it last working fine?

Prof. data services comes at a higher costs aka runs in lacs of rupess esp. if you want to recover entire 1tb. O depending on how dear is the data to you these options can be explored.

4+ years old
WD Black
Not dropped or roughly handled as far as I know.
It stopped working few months back. No clicking sound or anything. If I connect it and open disk management then it takes long time to start and then shows as unknown disk with not initialized status.

Since the disk is not physically damaged I'm hoping cost of recovery will be low.

How did you came to know?
I've tried everything that is possible for a PC enthusiast to do.
Bump

Can someone recommend me data recovery services and not software/applications or ask how do I know I can't do the recovery on my own?

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have luck with any org in Mumbai. Professional services usually have clean lab facilities which serve several countries, not just 1 region, and cost a buttload of money. Personally, I wouldn't even think of building a clean lab in a country as dusty as India.

Why not try WD's listed recovery partners?

Cause not one of them is in India.

I found some on Google:

I know it's a far cry considering the responses here, but anyone has dealt with them?

I got a quote of 1.14 lakhs for a 4 TB HDD from Stellar Recovery back in 2018.

I am guessing it would be pretty close for a 1 TB HDD where hardware level component switch is needed.

I got a quote of 1.14 lakhs for a 4 TB HDD from Stellar Recovery back in 2018.

I am guessing it would be pretty close for a 1 TB HDD where hardware level component switch is needed.

Yikes. I am dreading that my issue could end up in a similar ballpark. The drive is unrecognised in windows. Recovery softwares show a time of 1.3 lakh hours to read it (Only scanned 2 lakh sectors out of 7 bn with a 1.5% error rate so far)... so that it sounds like a serious issue.

A hardware level change shouldnt cost more than the HDD though..... ( I know its about the valueof the data and stuff, but I am looking at their costs ).

I am guessing u let go of the data ? No other soluton worked out ?

Unless the data is of top importance and one can invest such huge sums, it makes no sense. Just forget as a learning and a bad exp. and to start from scratch is the only suggestion..

Unless the data is of top importance and one can invest such huge sums, it makes no sense. Just forget as a learning and a bad exp. and to start from scratch is the only suggestion..
Learned my lesson after that deabcle. Documents and photos are on a 100 GB Google Drive subscription.

Local stuff is on a Windows storage spaces software RAID 1 setup with 2X 8 TB WD Reds.

Yikes. I am dreading that my issue could end up in a similar ballpark. The drive is unrecognised in windows. Recovery softwares show a time of 1.3 lakh hours to read it (Only scanned 2 lakh sectors out of 7 bn with a 1.5% error rate so far)... so that it sounds like a serious issue.

A hardware level change shouldnt cost more than the HDD though..... ( I know its about the valueof the data and stuff, but I am looking at their costs ).

I am guessing u let go of the data ? No other soluton worked out ?
A search brought up a recovery company called "Now Data Recovery" based out of Bangalore. Looking at their price list, it seems almost suspiciously cheap for data recovery, but if there's no other way to get the data then you might as well. Personally, I would pay the amounts listed if the data was important enough, but you have to make your evaluation accounting for the fact that the chances might be low, especially if you've been running tools trying to fix it - if you suspect damage to the board or heads and want to have a chance at recovery, I'd strongly recommend halting whatever you're doing to it, since even attempting read operations on a damaged drive can in some cases result in making it unrecoverable.

Back