Graphic Cards DDR3 or DDR5 ? Is it worth the price difference ?

johnsunder

Disciple
This is my config

1. AMD FX6100
2. MSI 970-GA46 with 2 PCIe Slots
3. 8 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM
4. Cooler Master Thunder Series 500W SMPS
5. Zebronics Bijli2 cabinet(Absolutely free flowing cab)

My requirements are it should play all the latest NFS and other car & bike games in the best possible resolution. Would love 1080p, but even 720p is (grudgingly) acceptable. I narrowed down to these 2 cards, both with DDR5 but with different chipsets although the GPU clocks at the same 800Mhz.

1. Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card
2. Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7750 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

My questions are

1. What appreciable difference does the 7750 make to demand 1.6k more ? Is it worth it ?
2. In respect of HD6670, the same card with DDR3 costs 800 rs less. Is it better to have DDR5 or DDR3 ?

Thanks for the replies

ddr5 > ddr3 anyday...it doubles the bandwidth which will be be very effective in games that are memory bandwidth limited like crysis....

Thanks for that.In that comparison, it says that the 7770 is a 1000MHz GPU whereas Flipkart mentions it as 800 MHz, which is true ? Or are there different variants of the same GPU ?
Thanks

^^ To answer your question, one has to understand that the GPU chip has a core-clock frequency associated with it and the other frequency is the V-RAM frequency (dictated by type of GDDR RAM used). There is a base core-clock and after that third-party manufacturers can introduce incremental step ups / downs to affect the overall performance and TDP requirement for the card. So cards with passive cooling solutions (without fans) might be down-clocked a little to make it operate cool enough to implement that kind of design. On the other hand the card can be over-clocked and equipped with a better cooler and heat-shroud for better performance.

In this case the base core-clock of the HD7750 is ~800MHz while there are third-party options that offer core-clocks as high as ~925MHz. The latter will perform better than the former although will have a premium attached to its price for the same reason.

Also as far as possible try to get the GDDR5 version of the card over the GDDR3 editions.

Hope this answers your query. Cheerio!

Looks like an error in Flipkart's data. As long as it has a dual-link DVI output it should be able to run a 2560 x 1600 res. HDMI seems to be the 1.4 spec, so that should do 2560 x 1600 as well. Even the Sapphire specs say it does : SAPPHIRE HD 6670 1GB GDDR5

I like the MSI card (I have a MSI MB), do you think I should wait for it ?
Looks like a better heatsink, but if its discontinued they might not restock it. Check if its available in another store or locally?

Looks like a better heatsink, but if its discontinued they might not restock it. Check if its available in another store or locally?

Thanks Eddy. I enquired with the local MSI dealer and he says 7750 is 7.3k and 7770 is 8.2k. Think I will go for the 7770. What do you think ?

Or do you think I should reach out and take this one (with 2GB DDR5) here from flipkart
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 2 GB GDDR5 GV-N650OC-2GI Graphics Card - Gigabyte: Flipkart.com

Is there any problems with having a Nvidia GPU on an AMD MB ?

There is no problems at all by using AMD CPU and nvidia GPU together. Haters will be haters and will tell you otherwise, but it does not matter as long as you are comparing the GFX cards of same level from both brands.

Do this, mate. Go to google and search for a review of nvidia 650. Most reviews would have other cards in the comparison chart and then you can make an informed choice. These days, there are a lot of options in almost every budget range. That seems overwhelming at first, but is doable. Just google for stuff. And/or go to tomshardware.com. THere, you will find the comparison charts of different GPUs. Look at the charts and buy whatever fits your budget/performance requirements. Good luck searching. Put in at least 2 3 days in research before you buy a shiny new gfx card and you will be fine and learn some cool new things in the process.

Thanks Eddy. I enquired with the local MSI dealer and he says 7750 is 7.3k and 7770 is 8.2k. Think I will go for the 7770. What do you think ?Or do you think I should reach out and take this one (with 2GB DDR5) here from flipkartGigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 2 GB GDDR5 GV-N650OC-2GI Graphics Card - Gigabyte: Flipkart.comIs there any problems with having a Nvidia GPU on an AMD MB ?
I wouldn't reckon you trying HD7770 on Cooler Master Thunder Series 500W SMPS. HD6670 would do just fine though.

HD7770 would suffice your needs and your psu can handle it well.
Get the GTX560Ti if your budget permits. Its a 10-20%% performance increase over hd7770 but it also consumes more power.

Back