Laptops Dell Inspiron Laptop Upgrades - The Road to take ?

Due to the installed memory being clocked at 2400MHz and the new one being at 2666 MHz, Dual channel mode operation is unsuccessful lest I change the older SODIMM too. As for NVMe, after a lot of trial and error to migrate OS from a larger partition to a smaller NVMe, I was able to get it working but I'm unable to activate "Momentum Cache" as the Crucial software doesn't detect it. crucial error.jpgmem-uefi.jpg

Due to the installed memory being clocked at 2400MHz and the new one being at 2666 MHz, Dual channel mode operation is unsuccessful lest I change the older SODIMM too.
Old and new sticks can have compatibility issues due to the memory chip configuration on the module. For example, some laptops can't mix single and dual-rank RAM for dual-channel mode. Sadly, nothing can be done. You'll have to replace one of the sticks. If returning the new stick is an option, You can go to a local shop and test it before buying.
As for NVMe, after a lot of trial and error to migrate OS from a larger partition to a smaller NVMe, I was able to get it working but I'm unable to activate "Momentum Cache" as the Crucial software doesn't detect it.
This is because, in your BIOS, the SATA / Storage mode is set to Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST). Find this option and change it to AHCI. If you do this directly, Windows might refuse to boot. Instead, follow the steps below:
  1. Boot into Windows
  2. Open a shell as administrator
  3. Run bcdedit /set safeboot minimal
  4. Reboot, enter BIOS and switch to AHCI
  5. Reboot into Windows again
  6. Open another shell as administrator
  7. Run bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
  8. Reboot

Last edited:
Back