WP Dell Windows 8 Venue pro tablet indian release?

ubergeek

Skilled
have they released the tablet here?
so far it seems like i can only purchase it from Ebay sold by shop your world[DOUBLEPOST=1389413361][/DOUBLEPOST]bump.... no one as any diea?

Last edited:
No they have not been launched in India as yet. Only the android versions have been launched. Currently only anyone having it from US will be selling it on Indian sites. Right now only Dell Latitude 10 has been launched in India that has Windows 8

@op
The Venue 8 Pro was launched in India 10 days ago for 26,499.

If it isn't appearing on the Dell India site, call them voice and ask where they are available. I honestly think its overpriced here considering its easily available abroad for around $250. You should consider getting it from abroad. For all your know it may even come with an international warranty. No idea though, you will need to check.

Waiting to see how they price the Venue 11 Pro as Dell has stated they are launching it here as well.

However going by their unrealistic/absurd/idiotic (take your pick) pricing strategies, I'm fairly certain it will be priced somewhere between 40-50k (US price is approx $535) and therefore out of reach for a lot of us...

Last edited:
Dell prices its products reasonably well even in India. I can understand that you can pick it up at a cheaper price but in US Dell sells it at around $300 which is close to 19000. Add to that shipping + duty in the end you see that the pricing is reasonable. I am not sure about international warranty. Because I think International Warranty is only if your product is registered in US and you are travelling then you get International Warranty. I doubt if warranty is valid for purchase of product in US and registered in India.

I disagree with your arguement.

Firstly, why would one buy it from Dell in the US for $300 when Amazon sells the same thing for $250? That price includes free shipping within the US as well. Amazon is not into charity. Even at $250, they are making money on it. Ergo - Dell obviously offers the tab to Amazon closer to the $200-220 mark.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Venue-Pr...d=1391419682&sr=8-2&keywords=dell+venue+8+pro

How 15,750 ($250) in the US translates into Rs. 26,500 here is the point I was trying to make.

That's a WHOPPING 68% increase in price FYI.

With the above in mind, consider this - the Nexus 5, 16 GB sells in the US for under $420. Thats Rs.26,334. Link -

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-...e=UTF8&qid=1391419847&sr=8-2&keywords=nexus+5

The same phone was officially launched by Google in India for Rs.29,999. Link -

http://www.google.co.in/nexus/5/

So how come Google manages to maintain a price difference of only 10% (Rs.3,666) over and above its US price compared to Dell's 68%?

Think about that for a minute.

I don't know the exact duty structure for either product but I somehow doubt that the import duty on Tabs (vs mobiles) would justify a 68% price increase.

Or do you believe they Google are under invoicing (which would be illegal and Google wouldn't take that risk) and somehow get "free shipping" with some carrier?

Dell is being greedy - just like Samsung, Sony and a host of other companies that hide behind the argument you mentioned above regarding shipping & duties.

Duties and shipping are nowhere near that high. This is just something Indian consumers are "led to believe" because they are told its so by fellow buyers/consumers.

The fact is, the companies choose to price their products higher in India because they can get away with it due to lack of competition from local manufacturers.

Last edited:
^ I get your point, but the Nexus 5 official is available for $349 at the Play Store. So if we use that price (instead of buying from Amazon, which is sold by a third party seller), the price difference comes to around 37%.

I wasn't aware of that so thanks for pointing that out.

However, 68% (Dell's price difference) is still greater than 37% (Google).

Its not just Dell. See Sony and its PS4.

US Price, $399 (Rs.25,200) -

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ps+4

India price, 40k ($634).

Difference - again a whopping 60%.

Doesn't bother me personally because I am a PC only gamer but this absurd price gouging (that's how I see it) is quite apparent to me. I feel bad because Indian console gamers getting ripped off like this.

Last edited:
I don't know the exact duty structure for either product but I somehow doubt that the import duty on Tabs (vs mobiles) would justify a 68% price increase.

Actually, customs on mobiles is 6%. Customs on Tablets is 16.85%, so that accounts for the markup as well.

customs.PNG

Again thanks for that info. So there IS a 10% difference in import duty vis-a-vis Mobiles & Tabs.

I would then understand if the Venue 8 Pro was correspondingly that much more expensive. Fact is - it isn't. Its still significantly more expensive.

BTW, there's one thing we are completely overlooking in this thread - when Dell US sells an item via Dell India (no 3rd party intermediaries are involved), at what price does it transfer the item to its Indian subsidiary?

I seriously doubt it would be at the "full market list price" of the product. In other words, the transfer is most likely done at a significantly lower price thereby attracting lower duties as well.

I mentioned above as well that considering Amazon is selling the Dell Venue Pro at $250, I would assume that Dell sells it to them for somewhere between 200-220 because Dell is not into charity either. Its making money even at this transfer price to Amazon. I am just guessing here but the tab probably costs Dell somewhere between $150-$180.

So if Dell US were to sell the tab to Dell India, I would assume it would be at this lower price - ie. its cost price (or maybe a little higher) and therefore attract correspondingly lower import duties in Rupee terms. I cant believe they would transfer it it to their own subsidiary at the full retail price. That would make no sense at all considering that the retail price includes retailer margins whereas this is a company to self owned subsidiary transfer.

Keeping the above in mind, I would believe that the actual "landed" price for the product in India would be much lower than we are currently calculating. This would make the price difference even more glaring. Or am I missing something?

PS - I also noticed consoles have a 29% import duty. Very useful list indeed...[DOUBLEPOST=1391428251][/DOUBLEPOST]
BTW, just wanted to add that the Dell Venue 8 Pro is EVEN CHEAPER than on Amazon if bought directly from MS - $229 in fact. Link -

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Venue-8-Pro-Tablet-32-GB/productID.289455200

This is a "limited promotional offer" but its currently still open.

In fact, in Dec 2013, MS offered this tab for just $99 through physical stores (first 20 Venue 8 Pro tablets sold in each store location), with another 100 at that price to online buyers via the MS online store and thereafter, for a price of $199 "till stocks last". The offers finished now of course but you can read about it here -

http://www.zdnet.com/dell-venue-8-p...nday-at-microsoft-store-locations-7000024024/

Last edited:
Yes I believe companies in India charge the premium given the lower volumes and higher support costs per piece sold. Secondly for Dell the duty calculated will be on the MRP and not the discounted price. Hence say if they sell the product for $300 then the duty of 16% would be calculated on that price. And there are other charges too like counter veiling duty etc. On $300 ~ Rs. 18900 the duty, shipping and other charges would be appx. 3000-3500. Hence their net landing cost in India would be around 22000. Also in India the commission structures for retailers are quite different. I am not justifying what dell or other companies are doing, but my understanding has been that due to lower volumes in India they tend to charge a higher premium for products than in other countries where support costs are less and volumes are higher.

Look, I think you guys just wont believe me when I say companies here overcharge us like crazy so I will try and prove it to you. Just humor me, try what I am saying and test it yourself.

Head over to Amazon.com and sign in there. Then open this page -

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MeMO-ME302C-A1-BL-10-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B00DXFDHV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391436522&sr=8-1&keywords=asus memo pad 10 fhd

and add the product to your cart.

This is the Asus Memo Pad 10 FHD. The reason I selected this product as a "demo" rather than the Dell Venue Pro 8 is -

1) Amazon does not ship the Venue Pro 8 to India (I tried)
2) The price of both items is almost the same ($1 difference)
3) The items are the same (ie. both are tablets) so the duty will be similar

Now proceed to checkout. Here is what you will see:-

Item price - $248.86
Item cost in INR Rs.16,504.56
Shipping & Handling** 727.53
**(Note that the item actually has ZERO shipping charges to India and is clearly shown as such
but I have included the value only so you understand the costs involved.)

Total Before Tax - 16,504.56
Import Fees Deposit - Rs.3,273.59 (this is at 20% BTW, which is more than the official rate of 16.85% quoted by letmein)
Order Total: INR 19,778.15

Also note that the $ conversion rate taken by Amazon above is a whopping Rs.66.32 even though official $ rate today was Rs.62.56.

So even if I import this item from Amazon myself the delivered cost to me at my house is under 20K (20.5k even if you include the "FREE shipping charges)!

BTW, this is Amazon selling to me, an individual at retail prices, including shipping, handling and Duty. Compare this to Dell US selling to Dell India, its wholly owned subsidiary and not some third party.

Now compare the above to Dell's offer and tell me how their pricing is fair?
Dell's product is similar.
Dell's US product price is similar.
Dell would actually import the product and pay 4% LESS import duty than Amazon charged me - so they save here as well.
Dell would pay the official $/Re. exchange rate of 62.56 and not 66.32 (Rs.3.76 extra per $) that Amazon charges.

So why should I be expected to pay 6k MORE for the product when -

1) Dell US is selling via its subsidiary Dell India. As there is no middle man/retailer involved (ie. Amazon in the above case), their transfer price to Dell India should be much lower than the price they offer to Amazon.
2) Dell could easily sell this product via their online store exclusively and offer a huge cut to us as customers that would otherwise go to retailers. If you think back to a couple of years ago, there were no Dell stores - it was only online or nothing.
3) The fact that even at this price, Amazon is making enough money on this product that they can completely ABSORB the cost of shipping & handling should be noted as well. BTW, Dell, would import this item in containers and therefore get even cheaperfreight pricing than Amazon's Rs.727 per tablet (which Amazon waives in any case).

If you think about it, the very fact that MS is currently offering this tablet for even lower at $229, I would assume Dell could easily sell it to its Indian subsidiary for $190, pay the import duty on the full retail price and still be able to sell the tablet cheap if they wanted to.

There's no way this tablet should cost them more than 18k landed in India IMO and I am being very generous with that figure.

Don't go by my word - try it yourself. What do you have to lose? You don't have to buy anything. Add to cart, click check out, select an Indian address and see for yourself. Once you have checked it out, remove the item from the cart. If you want, I will post a screen grab of my checkout screen and you can see it yourself. All the values taken above are directly from Amazon.

In short, please don't blindly believe this "customs and duty are the cause of high pricing in India" rubbish.

Its just plain GREED. Once you understand that, you will be a more informed consumer.

As for your comment on higher support costs, I agree with you but its a chicken and egg situation. How are volumes expected to go up if prices themselves are absurd?

Last edited:
There are too many issues with this tablet, i am regretting my purchase. I suggest you wait for better options as many other brands are coming out with their 8" models in a similar price range.

^What issues are you facing? Just curious. Mine has been flawless so far.
First of all- I bought this tablet for note taking, the stylus was out of stock when i placed the order. Their initial production stylus had some major issues and they're going to release a revision (already for sale but shipping 3-5 weeks).

Second- I dont know if its windows or dell, there seems to be issues with wifi and screen not unlocking sometimes. I tried by removing some updates but the screen issues appears sometimes.

Also can you tell me how do you make this tablet bit more usable? i bought it for note taking, browsing and youtube but since there's no stylus i can only use it for other 2 reasons. Browsing isn't as good as my android phone or my ipad and there's no proper youtube application. Installed Hyper for youtube but it doesn't sync properly with my google account.

Thanks

^Just use the standard IE11 for Youtube. I agree that Google has lagged behind in releasing Metro Apps, but heck, this is a full x86 PC - you can do everything on it. I use MPC-HC to play my hi-def videos during my commute.

the 32 gb model is avalilable for 22k and 64 gb model for 25k in grabmore.in .
One question though, this doesnt have sim card slot right?
Can I use the Wifi tethering from my Nokia N8 using joiku hotspot?
My old tab Samsung Tab2 doesnt recognize the wifi network from my phone, but interestingly my iPod touch 4G recognizes this WiFi network.
I found this problem to be persisten with Win 8.1 in many forums. :(
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t/58aa5875-be6e-4d35-b9e2-9312b179aa3b?page=1

Some solution in the end :)
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/4534b6e6-4148-408c-b358-e26f33dfa11c?page=7[DOUBLEPOST=1394259982][/DOUBLEPOST]
^What issues are you facing? Just curious. Mine has been flawless so far.
I have one question.
How do you use internet on the move?

Last edited:
Back