Deskjet/Inkjet printer for around 10K or less

You are right. And it's not just speed. Printing cost is less too. These days monochrome lasers are well within budget. Inkjets/ink tanks are only for color needs

What if you drop the default print resolution, will it speed up copy/print speed for the ink tank ?

Still haven't received the item. Will try that.

I am using the DCP 300 series ink tank from 3 years & it runs fine service is really good & fast so no complaints at all if you print weekly it will work fine else head will dry & print quality decreases substantially & service technician will force you to change head as per company policy but you can make it work again by using a hidden cleaning mode in maintenance mode.

To print faster you can change print quality to Fast, the default is Normal & the best one titled Best:p

Thanks & Regards
JJ

Right, i also prefer better print quality in which case you're averaging 12 pages/min or half the speed a laser can print at.

And this applies to photo copies as well. So that slows down too.

People opting for ink jets need to keep these constraints in mind.

My question however was about print resolution. Whether reducing that will increase print speed and retain quality ?

My question however was about print resolution. Whether reducing that will increase print speed and retain quality ?

Have installed the printer. I can only see options in print quality as FAST, NORMAL, HIGH ..but nowhere to change print resolution

Have installed the printer. I can only see options in print quality as FAST, NORMAL, HIGH ..but nowhere to change print resolution
Don't have something like this ?

print properties.jpg

Last edited:
I guess that setting is for laserjets only. Inkjets have Fast > High .. etc which technically should translate to the same.

2019-10-24_19-04-27.jpg

I just do not understand why people keep saying that you need to print once every 2 weeks at least even in today's times! I have Brother DCP-T500W that I bought around 2 years ago. So far, I have not refilled ink. There are times when I have not printed even a single page in 2 MONTHS yet it works fine. This printer has an auto cleaning mechanism. It cleans itself every 3 or 4 days I think. You might think auto cleaning will consume a lot of ink but obviously that is not the case as I am yet to refill the ink tank.

I just do not understand why people keep saying that you need to print once every 2 weeks at least even in today's times! I have Brother DCP-T500W that I bought around 2 years ago. So far, I have not refilled ink. There are times when I have not printed even a single page in 2 MONTHS yet it works fine. This printer has an auto cleaning mechanism. It cleans itself every 3 or 4 days I think. You might think auto cleaning will consume a lot of ink but obviously that is not the case as I am yet to refill the ink tank.
Have you done a print quality check recently ?

I googled this and to my surprise people are offering advice to turn off auto clean by switching the printer off. Because it wastes power if left on as well as ink for auto clean. This is bogus advice. Brother has designed these machines to be maintenance free and the auto clean as you've discovered does NOT waste ink. Inkjets do not consume much power in standby either. In fact when its comes to power consumption they use less than lasers across the board.

brother power.jpg

I was curious why inkjets want the time to be set, its to do with auto clean.

My laser does not have a clock because it does not do auto clean.

Last edited:
Have you done a print quality check recently ?

I googled this and to my surprise people are offering advice to turn off auto clean by switching the printer off. Because it wastes power if left on as well as ink for auto clean. This is bogus advice. Brother has designed these machines to be maintenance free and the auto clean as you've discovered does NOT waste ink. Inkjets do not consume much power in standby either. In fact when its comes to power consumption they use less than lasers across the board.

View attachment 82773

I was curious why inkjets want the time to be set, its to do with auto clean.

My laser does not have a clock because it does not do auto clean.

OK. I checked when I bought this printer. I bought the DCP-T500W in Feb 2016. Yes, 3.5 years ago and I am still on the set of ink tanks that came with the printer. I ran the print test and see that the nozzles are clean. BTW, I print 1308 pages in 3.5 years! Of the 1308 pages, 72 were Colour Copy, 388 were monochrome copy and the rest were actual prints.

This should settle the ink and power consumption debate of inkjet printers with auto clean function.

Back