Desktop speakers : for music, videos, youtube: are jbl 104BT good or I should look for something else

Sorry for the late reply mate
Had listened to that, then and there but forgot to add my reply,
Obviously the onyx has distinct sound where you can clearly mark various frequencies, the other one had thumping bass but everything seems muddy compared to the clarity of the onyx...

The bass in onyx is distinct punchy but not that wide as compared to the other one.
Right, the onyx goes deep but is lighter in the upper bass which a lot of outdoor speakers or ones with smaller drivers emphasize

You didn't say which you preferred. For me the choice is clear. In a 12 x 10ft room at 50% the onyx is like being in a club at lower volume. I'm not through breaking it in yet so 50% is as high as i can go for now and that is plenty in a small room.

Right, the onyx goes deep but is lighter in the upper bass which a lot of outdoor speakers or ones with smaller drivers emphasize

You didn't say which you preferred. For me the choice is clear. In a 12 x 10ft room at 50% the onyx is like being in a club at lower volume. I'm not through breaking it in yet so 50% is as high as i can go for now and that is plenty in a small room.
Onyx is good no two ways, simply coz it will never tire your ears and you can actually enjoy the distinctive way it produces the various frequencies

But the fact of the matter is that I have a budget, maximum 5k [emoji17]

I've seen the Onyx 6 go for 11k on olx.

Otherwise you'll have to stick to cans. No speakers for 5k will give you what you want.

Maybe second hand but be aware desktop speakers i see people recommending cut off below 70Hz. Unless you know the frequency response expect that kind of performance.

I've seen the Onyx 6 go for 11k on olx.

Otherwise you'll have to stick to cans. No speakers for 5k will give you what you want.

Maybe second hand but be aware desktop speakers i see people recommending cut off below 70Hz. Unless you know the frequency response expect that kind of performance.
I ll keep searching then.. Olx, display units at croma or may be will try my luck with the upcoming sale.

What kind of music do you listen to that has punch ? post some examples

You need to match the speakers to the music.
Hi
Again sorry for the late reply.
Tbh i listen to all kinds of music
Indian classical, semi classical, ghazals, oldies, RnB, vocal jazz especially the oldies.
But these days I am listening to the newer Indian bolly music, just for a change as kids can also listen to them if played at decent volume [emoji57]

Hi
Again sorry for the late reply.
Tbh i listen to all kinds of music
Indian classical, semi classical, ghazals, oldies, RnB, vocal jazz especially the oldies.
No deep bass in any of this. For these genres you want a speaker that does mids and highs and does it well.
But these days I am listening to the newer Indian bolly music, just for a change as kids can also listen to them if played at decent volume [emoji57]
Such as ?

No deep bass in any of this. For these genres you want a speaker that does mids and highs and does it well.

Such as ?
I like proper tabla base while listening to Indian classical, instrumental and live ghazals.

Latest bolly like the bhool bhulaiya 2 title and the Punjabi ones

I like proper tabla base while listening to Indian classical, instrumental and live ghazals.
Tablas is slap slap mid and upper bass that most speakers can handle.
Latest bolly like the bhool bhulaiya 2 title and the Punjabi ones
Like this ?

That's got deep bass in it. Punjabi stuff with dhol also

Had to push the Onyx to 70% to feel it. What surprised me is how soft the punch is.

And the way to get that effect is listen in a smaller room. 12 x 10 ft. The bass bounces off the walls and its like a club effect. Maybe a little boomy for some but it works for me.

In a bigger room the effect is less. Volume needs to be louder.

There are tricks you can do with a portable speaker. It's mobile so you can put it anywhere.

Placing it on the ground or in a corner will emphasise the 50Hz and lower range provided the drivers can reach at least 60Hz
If its for kids then you can cut some corners. Keep your eye on the price. It fluctuates a lot. At time of posting its 6k.

Does not have the titanium drivers for clearer sound like motion boom sold abroad. But it can get deep. It has those lights as well.

Check the reviews out. There aren't too many. Little clearer on the motion boom than select pro.

There are better sounding options like motion boom and mifa wildbox but those are not available locally.

At this budget, better stuff come out every few months. It's like a sub 20k phone.

Last edited:
Tablas is slap slap mid and upper bass that most speakers can handle.

Like this ?

That's got deep bass in it. Punjabi stuff with dhol also

Had to push the Onyx to 70% to feel it. What surprised me is how soft the punch is.

And the way to get that effect is listen in a smaller room. 12 x 10 ft. The bass bounces off the walls and its like a club effect. Maybe a little boomy for some but it works for me.

In a bigger room the effect is less. Volume needs to be louder.

There are tricks you can do with a portable speaker. It's mobile so you can put it anywhere.

Placing it on the ground or in a corner will emphasise the 50Hz and lower range provided the drivers can reach at least 60Hz

If its for kids then you can cut some corners. Keep your eye on the price. It fluctuates a lot. At time of posting its 6k.

Does not have the titanium drivers for clearer sound like motion boom sold abroad. But it can get deep. It has those lights as well.

Check the reviews out. There aren't too many. Little clearer on the motion boom than select pro.

There are better sounding options like motion boom and mifa wildbox but those are not available locally.

At this budget, better stuff come out every few months. It's like a sub 20k phone.
Dear anything that's directly powered?
And what about the jbl 104BT, they will come down to 4999 I believe.. Do you think they won't do with my kind of music???

Dear anything that's directly powered?
no portability with those
And what about the jbl 104BT, they will come down to 4999 I believe.. Do you think they won't do with my kind of music???
FREQUENCY RANGE (-3 dB SPL)**: 88 Hz – 20 kHz
FREQUENCY RANGE (-10 dB SPL)**: 60 Hz – 20 kHz

The roll off is quite sharp in the bass inspite of having a 118mm driver and a passive radiator

Look at models that go lower. These will include a passive radiator. I had one like that twenty years ago. It looked like a waste paper basket but it got lower.

See this review

Reference speakers are not meant for bass heavy thumping sound

You're looking for a fun speaker not a reference speaker.

He says bass is pretty good with no bass module but all i hear is slap slap :D

Sound quality and clairty will be good for tabla but non existent for dhol

Another sound review with more slap slap. That last dance track has no energy at all :/

Deep bass nahi milega. Extra bass nahi (!)

Last edited:
no portability with those

FREQUENCY RANGE (-3 dB SPL)**: 88 Hz – 20 kHz
FREQUENCY RANGE (-10 dB SPL)**: 60 Hz – 20 kHz

The roll off is quite sharp in the bass inspite of having a 118mm driver and a passive radiator

Look at models that go lower. These will include a passive radiator. I had one like that twenty years ago. It looked like a waste paper basket but it got lower.

See this review

You're looking for a fun speaker not a reference speaker.

He says bass is pretty good with no bass module but all i hear is slap slap :D

Sound quality and clairty will be good for tabla but non existent for dhol

Another sound review with more slap slap. That last dance track has no energy at all :/

Deep bass nahi milega. Extra bass nahi (!)
How do you find the motion plus from soundcore?
I searched and find that its better than the sound pro??
What say??
Might grab on the sale via no cost emi for a change [emoji6]

The other thing that keeps coming to mind is the battery in these speakers,
Battery makes them disposable but speakers aren't disposable they don't become obsolete,

Isn't there anything similar thay is directly powered???

How do you find the motion plus from soundcore?
I searched and find that its better than the sound pro??
What say??
Might grab on the sale via no cost emi for a change [emoji6]
Select pro is the one I linked to. It's got different drivers than Motion Boom which we don't get in India. Might be good enough for your purposes. If you can find it with the option to return it if you're not happy. It comes with an EQ app so you can tweak the sound.

The latest one that can challenge the Onyx is the Tribit Stormblast. The price was 17k a few days back. It's more of an outdoors speaker though. You will not need more than 40% volume indoors.
The other thing that keeps coming to mind is the battery in these speakers,
Battery makes them disposable but speakers aren't disposable they don't become obsolete,
I figured this would concern you. It's disposable if you cannot replace the battery. But you can do it. Just that you have to do it on your own. You might be able to find some one to do it for you if you get the battery. Then its just a solder job.

You can replace the battery if you dismantle it. They mostly use 18650 batteries and have a protection circuit. You get batteries that come with protection circuits built in for torches already. This can take a bit of work depending on which speaker it is. The Onyx has crap battery life. There are people modding it by adding more batteries in parallel.
Isn't there anything similar thay is directly powered???
Search for desktop speakers that come with a subwoofer. Post what you find and we'll see if there are any reviews.

This will work out cheaper but then you're fixed to wherever you install them. If your phone does not have a headphone jack then you will need a dongle. AND you will need to get a BT transmitter to attach to it.

Something like logitech Z623

Sound test

Can you hear it ? that is what deep bass sounds like. This will compete if not beat the best BT options. 5 inch bass driver. Listen to the Cons.

There is a cheaper option by Sony but it CAN NOT compete with the Logitech Z623 for bass if you listen to this shoot out

Another cheaper option by Phillips. It's better than the Sony but not as deep as the Logitech

Both Sony & Phillips have BT. Ignore them. GO with the logitech.

Understand how circles work. When you double the diameter you quadruple the area.

Select pro has 2x6cm drivers. This logitech has ONE 12cm driver. It will deliver deeper than 2xSelect pro speakers. The frequency response is 35 Hz to 2kHz. Plenty of bass there :)

It's 200W RMS is 4x more than the Onyx and twice as powerful as the Tribit.

If you are ok with the cons, this logitech is the best you can get for the money. Unless someone else wants to say otherwise.

There! only demo you need to hear :D

Last edited:
Select pro is the one I linked to. It's got different drivers than Motion Boom which we don't get in India. Might be good enough for your purposes. If you can find it with the option to return it if you're not happy. It comes with an EQ app so you can tweak the sound.

The latest one that can challenge the Onyx is the Tribit Stormblast. The price was 17k a few days back. It's more of an outdoors speaker though. You will not need more than 40% volume indoors.

I figured this would concern you. It's disposable if you cannot replace the battery. But you can do it. Just that you have to do it on your own. You might be able to find some one to do it for you if you get the battery. Then its just a solder job.

You can replace the battery if you dismantle it. They mostly use 18650 batteries and have a protection circuit. You get batteries that come with protection circuits built in for torches already. This can take a bit of work depending on which speaker it is. The Onyx has crap battery life. There are people modding it by adding more batteries in parallel.

Search for desktop speakers that come with a subwoofer. Post what you find and we'll see if there are any reviews.

This will work out cheaper but then you're fixed to wherever you install them. If your phone does not have a headphone jack then you will need a dongle. AND you will need to get a BT transmitter to attach to it.

Something like logitech Z623

Sound test

Can you hear it ? that is what deep bass sounds like. This will compete if not beat the best BT options. 5 inch bass driver. Listen to the Cons.

There is a cheaper option by Sony but it CAN NOT compete with the Logitech Z623 for bass if you listen to this shoot out

Another cheaper option by Phillips. It's better than the Sony but not as deep as the Logitech

Both Sony & Phillips have BT. Ignore them. GO with the logitech.

Understand how circles work. When you double the diameter you quadruple the area.

Select pro has 2x6cm drivers. This logitech has ONE 12cm driver. It will deliver deeper than 2xSelect pro speakers. The frequency response is 35 Hz to 2kHz. Plenty of bass there :)

It's 200W RMS is 4x more than the Onyx and twice as powerful as the Tribit.

If you are ok with the cons, this logitech is the best you can get for the money. Unless someone else wants to say otherwise.

There! only demo you need to hear :D
Dear i was referring to motion plus
Take a look at this Soundcore by Anker Motion Plus 30 W Bluetooth Party Speaker on Flipkart

Not motion boom
What's your view of motion plus

Not enough deep bass. Only good for mids and highs.

That is the reason the Boom came out.
Boom ain't available here, and select pro seems to be having lower levels of mids and highs...
As it is looks the prices havent been discounted that much, may have to wait till big billions day....
The select pro was around 4k last year and plus was around 5k I guess

Boom ain't available here, and select pro seems to be having lower levels of mids and highs...
Select pro isn't as clear as motion boom because it does not use titanium drivers. There are no tweeters on motion boom/select pro so the main driver quality matters more.
As it is looks the prices havent been discounted that much, may have to wait till big billions day....
The select pro was around 4k last year and plus was around 5k I guess
I've given you the choices. If you want a wired setup go with the logitech, if portable then tribit or onyx.

You will not find any decent deep bass in your 5k budget. Deep bass requires 5 inch drivers and needs to be tuned for it. That is why that JBL you linked to can't deliver.

You need to increase budget to match what is available. Otherwise hold on to your money.

At last purchased mivi fort S100 soundbar.
Pretty nice
Great loudness and pretty good bass response, highs and mids are above average as well.

Will give a review and feedback later

But many many thanks to @blr_p for his huge help and insight into audio nuances.

Last edited:
err ? 80Hz is the lowest this goes to !! i'd have not recommended any sound bar for deep anything. These things are loud but not deep.

If you're happy good.

Frequency Response
  • 80 - 20000 Hz

Back