Diablo 3 sale

Arkon

Disciple
Diablo 3 is on sale! 10 USD for base game + 10 USD for xpac. I was thinking of buying it, but Rs 1,400 is a bit steep for a game. So if I buy only the base game and skip the xpac, will I miss out on much? Anywhere else I can get it cheaper?

The expansion adds a short campaign which you will finish in 2 days and modes to farm up areas and bosses without traversing the story again. Also adds dungeons with more loot and some specific challenges. Play the base game, if you like it you can get the expansion later.

The expansion is a complete game changer.
The story and campaign are hardly the point of Diablo, and other than the cutscenes it's mostly forgettable.

Diablo = Loot, and the expansion adds 4 sets per class and innumerable legendary items (with more being added with each patch) which completely change the way you play your hero.
It also adds Nephalem Rifts which are fully random dungeons with random monsters and a random Boss encounter. If that's not enough, there are Greater Rifts as well which are infinite difficulty dungeons meant for competitive play with end-game gear.

The base game just has the same static locations to play in.

Keep in mind though that Diablo requires an always on Internet connection. You won't be able to play it offline or with laggy Internet.
If my Internet wasn't garbage, I'd still be playing :(.

The expansion is a complete game changer.
The story and campaign are hardly the point of Diablo, and other than the cutscenes it's mostly forgettable.

Diablo = Loot, and the expansion adds 4 sets per class and innumerable legendary items (with more being added with each patch) which completely change the way you play your hero.
It also adds Nephalem Rifts which are fully random dungeons with random monsters and a random Boss encounter. If that's not enough, there are Greater Rifts as well which are infinite difficulty dungeons meant for competitive play with end-game gear.

The base game just has the same static locations to play in.

Keep in mind though that Diablo requires an always on Internet connection. You won't be able to play it offline or with laggy Internet.
If my Internet wasn't garbage, I'd still be playing :(.

I bought the xpac too after reading your comment :). Played it over the weekend, enjoyed it so far. Though I am still in Act 1. Lets see how it pans out at higher levels.

Playing in European zone, I get about 200 ms ping. Game is quite playable at that ping. I have played a lot of SWTOR on European servers and I get 150 - 250 ms ping there too. I raided hardmode and nightmare in SWTOR with that ping, so I expect D3 should also be okay in the higher difficulties.

After your post, I tried downloading the trial and playing. It kept disconnecting and dropping all the time. Even the first connect would take forever and multiple tries. This is irrespective of which connection I use - ACT 125mbps or Airtel 8mbps. I really wanted to buy and play the game as I have fond memories of d2 but honestly this is unplayable mostly here. The longest it worked without a disconnection was 8-9 minutes.

I have zero issues playing other MP games including twitch shooters. This is just poor netcode and overloaded servers on Blizzard's part.

After your post, I tried downloading the trial and playing. It kept disconnecting and dropping all the time. Even the first connect would take forever and multiple tries. This is irrespective of which connection I use - ACT 125mbps or Airtel 8mbps. I really wanted to buy and play the game as I have fond memories of d2 but honestly this is unplayable mostly here. The longest it worked without a disconnection was 8-9 minutes.

I have zero issues playing other MP games including twitch shooters. This is just poor netcode and overloaded servers on Blizzard's part.

I too have Airtel DSL. I got stable connection to D3 throughout the weekend. Which region did you select? By default it puts you in the US zone. Try the European one.

I tried Asia and US. Didn't try Europe.

I would suggest you try Europe and see if things improve. AFAIK D3 doesn't have a Singapore server unlike other Blizzard games so you are probably getting servers located in US or Australia or Korea. As I mentioned, I got about 200 ms in European zone, stable connection. That is in line with what I see in SWTOR which has servers in Ireland.

I don't know what to say. Maybe the trial servers are on some extremely low priority setup? I doubt it though...

I have had next to no problems from Blizzard's side in 4 years of D3.
I play on US with 300ms and the netcode feels almost like local play even at 300ms (there's almost no delay until 350ms).

I have been playing it non-stop for the last week. Reached Act V finally (I play a bit slow :) ). I tested the latency to the different regions:

Asia - 450 ms
US - 300 ms
Europe - 180 ms

I am playing in Europe and it has been pretty fluid so far, almost no hiccups.

Diablo 3 is on sale! 10 USD for base game + 10 USD for xpac. I was thinking of buying it, but Rs 1,400 is a bit steep for a game. So if I buy only the base game and skip the xpac, will I miss out on much? Anywhere else I can get it cheaper?
Is the offer still active? I wouldn't mind paying $20 for the game and expansion, RoS I believe?
Also I played the demo in my old Tikona net and I didn't lag.
Loved the game. Too bad bnet doesn't accept my card. And i don't think that the game can be gifted either?

I started playing again now. The no of people online seems so less (Asia region). Season 3 - 5 i used to find a lot of people in adventure mode but season 9 not so much. Rarely find anyone. Even without discount RoS is worth it. Base game is mleh without the expansion. The expansion opens it up so much for replayability. Kind of feel like the expansion should have been part of the base game.

The game is mostly on life support now. They still add new items and features, but if you've been playing since launch chances are there's nothing new for you.
It's the standard arpg life cycle. A lot of popularity early on after which players only return for the start of each season to play on and off.

Best feeling combat ever though. Other arpgs may have better character progression, but the combat just feels flat after D3.

I just wish at this point they let go of their always online requirement and push the map to the local client. The console version has this, and is much much better for this. I tried playing last week and it was a constant lagfest with over 400 ping in US and my barb hitting thin air and everything exploding around him 2 seconds later. Such a weird thing to see.

I don't feel any delay at 300ms, but if there's packet loss then it's just terrible to play.
And my isp has a metric ton of packet loss unless I play between 2am-9am.

They can easily make it so that all combat happens client side, it's just plain stubbornness at this point.
Also the fact that Third World Internet like ours is mostly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

The game would still require an Internet connection and logging in, but all combat would happen client side and the game would only check with the server for loot drops so people can't hack items like the console version.
A combination netcode like this would feel seamless to the end user. Nobody can tell if loot drops lag slightly as nobody even picks up anything other than legendary items.

And even if giving the client full access to game content makes the game easier to crack and pirate, there'd still be no point in doing so because you would need to be authenticated by the server to be eligible for loot and Diablo without loot is moot.

This is exactly how Valve handles the offline practice modes in Dota2 and TF2. You simply don't get any hat or item drops.
Whereas Blizzard goes as far as to run even botmatches remotely. Just sheer stubbornness.

I think you guys will get better ping if you change the region to Europe instead of US / Asia. I get 180 ms to Europe, on an Airtel connection with very rare lagspikes.

Yes, but my level 90 character is in US and they don't allow character porting. Back then it was playable even in 300+ ping. I don't have the time or patience to start from scratch on another region. Maybe I will someday.

@Jc36 Just wait for new season and start a seasonal char. Thats what I do.
Currently i am playing on the Asia server, still ping goes from 128ms to 1s at times.
And that too in the same play session, even when i am playing alone.

Can you guys check something? Whenever you experience laggy gameplay on B.net, run a "ping www.google.com -t".
Let it run for atleast 100 pings, see if either the pings vary a lot or there are a lot of timeouts.

Seems weird I know, just indulge me :).

Back