CPU/Mobo [DISCUSSION] AMD 4700S Desktop Kit

Basically, having GDDR6 memory seems to be causing lot of performance issues in an otherwise good CPU. Memory latency with GDDR6 is rough ~ 145ns compared to the 70-80ns that 2nd gen ryzen processors were know for.
Yes, GDDR6 as your RAM is BAD! GDDR is by design high-bandwidth RAM to handle large chunks of data while a normal DDR RAM is low-bandwidth which is designed for small chunks of data. So using a desktop OS on GDDR RAM would be abysmal experience. That's why consoles have their own proprietary OS which has a smaller footprint and there's no overhead of other apps.

This boot-kit is only good for an HTPC, not even a server.

I was probing around the latest C0A BIOS and I found legacy boot options. This probably means once the BIOS is updated and options set to legacy, older graphics cards should work.

6ZXLXEU.jpg

Video from LTT says no legacy options so thats an improvement

Making a new cooler mount for this seems trivial to me. I have an unused Thermalright XP90 which I'll probably slap on to this, or a Zalman CNPS8900

What's the catch here? This deal is very good.
I see there's no m2 slot.
PCIe x16 slot is limited to x4.
Memory is included but not mentioned.

What's the catch here? This deal is very good.
I see there's no m2 slot.
PCIe x16 slot is limited to x4.
Memory is included but not mentioned.
Based on comments, cooling is bad and if Memory is Gddr6 then it has latency issues.

I still speculating on this to be good home server build running proxmox but I'll wait for others to confirm who got this. I see it is available again with slight increased cost.

Any idea what the idle power consumption is? and ability to allow undervolting ?
Looks like a good deal esp. for the processing horsepower

This is the closest I could get to answer my own question. 85W at idle with a GTX 1050ti. Video linked below.
Bios is locked down and anemic due to obvious reasons, cannot tweak hardware params. Referenced LTT video.

The heatsink area seems to be pretty small. Probably just replace the noisy fan with a quieter one ?
the heatsink itself is bad - akin to cheap intel ones. The fan must be an 80mm fan. Not worth changing fans etc.

I also noticed the UEFI settings might be hidden in the BIOS by default. In which case its an easy BIOS mod to enable them

This looks like a steal deal for an office PC with a GT 710 for display.
Edit: NVM looks like it won't be an ideal home/office PC

Last edited:
the heatsink itself is bad - akin to cheap intel ones. The fan must be an 80mm fan. Not worth changing fans etc.

I also noticed the UEFI settings might be hidden in the BIOS by default. In which case its an easy BIOS mod to enable them
How about enabling clock and voltage settings?, is it possible via a bios mod?

Back