Discussion on brick and mortar stores

@Sobirvs - Do you think Amazon sells just the Xbox One. They would definitely have made profit on it, but that doesn't mean that as a company they are in profit. Having said that, personally I am against this model of business that these big companies operate on. But then again, B&M stores are not saints either.
There was a time(long ago according to our mythological stories) when middlemen were looked down upon because they charged more from the end customer without adding any value to the product. They survived that period but times are changing again and like everyone else they need to change to survive.

You behave like shit, you get shit. Simple as that. I have seen how B&M shops operates. They are very good to customers (ofcourse because of sales that's the whole point, as I said before THIS IS BUSINESS, NOT CHARITY), and if a customer shows attitude, or ask for more discount, shows online prices then B&M people won't care, you ask why? again this is BUSINESS. This is called trade! you get stuff in return of you giving cash to B&M people, if you don't do that why would they care?

Also, amazon/flikart treats you like shit aswell lol, it's just that you won't be able to see it as this is just computer generated code based website. When you see it? when they go all ass on your on service support. Just search in twitter search or facebook, you will find alot of complaints.[DOUBLEPOST=1414989193][/DOUBLEPOST]

Wonder why didn't you comment on xbox thing or you are arguing just got the sake of winning an argument? I did back down on last thread some weeks back on this same stuff as we are going through the same now. What is the point of arguing now.

Puhleez. Having seen my share of b&m shops, I can say that 90% of them dont care. And the ones who do care - they are a rare minority.

And this was before online was there. Now that online has come, b&m has started getting better. But still not that great.

Final say - this news is old, and is more of a clickbait. Trust @avi to start such stuff.

@Sobirvs - Do you think Amazon sells just the Xbox One. They would definitely have made profit on it, but that doesn't mean that as a company they are in profit. Having said that, personally I am against this model of business that these big companies operate on. But then again, B&M stores are not saints either.

That's what I am saying as well. No one is saints here. But the evil lies with OEM's and just OEM's. Not amazon, not b&m stores.

Puhleez. Having seen my share of b&m shops, I can say that 90% of them dont care. And the ones who do care - they are a rare minority.

And this was before online was there. Now that online has come, b&m has started getting better. But still not that great.

Final say - this news is old, and is more of a clickbait. Trust @avi to start such stuff.

So you want them to care now. Like you want them to be caring like your parents? Seriously what is wrong with you. Trust me online seriously hasn't damaged B&M stores. But it's one seed that B&M stores wants the nip the bud early on as they have the potential. Caring doesn't depend how online is operating but rather depends on the store owners. Exlcusive stores won't care period, why? because employees! OEM's just lease the store to employees to make them profits but in b&m stores, the owner is there and cares enough. so... Puhleez don't go all urban up my ass.

@ontopic http://www.medianama.com/2014/11/22...medianama+(Medianama:+Digital+Media+In+India) this clears I guess.[DOUBLEPOST=1414992924][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actually, it can be forged. But maybe only in India - remember Satyam?

Still, Amazon is making money, but investing the same back into fulfillment centres - so they are essentially in loss.

It can be forged anywhere. It's just that 1 out of 1000 big M&N will be willing to take that risk.

Those are just figures. A MNC can release those as they wishes.
They can get penalised by the government for that. A public company can't release the figures as they wish. The USA is even stricter when it comes to matters such as this.

The Xbox One argument is moot. So what? I'm sure they're also making profits on all Kindles and eBooks sold, and Amazon is a leader in this space. Amazon sells millions of other products and services. Their Fire smartphone burnt up their cash reserve too; great losses there. Their stock went way down a few weeks ago after they announced their latest quarterly results, but it's creeping back to normal now.

They can get penalised by the government for that. A public company can't release the figures as they wish. The USA is even stricter when it comes to matters such as this.

The Xbox One argument is moot. So what? I'm sure they're also making profits on all Kindles and eBooks sold, and Amazon is a leader in this space. Amazon sells millions of other products and services. Their Fire smartphone burnt up their cash reserve too; great losses there. Their stock went way down a few weeks ago after they announced their latest quarterly results, but it's creeping back to normal now.

That's the thing, when amazon makes profits no one has problems with that, amazon executives buys biggest brands sportscars , luxury cars. But when B&M makes little profits and buys a Honda , people get mad LOL. Hypocrisy at it's best!

That's the thing, when amazon makes profits no one has problems with that, amazon executives buys biggest brands sportscars , luxury cars. But when B&M makes little profits and buys a Honda , people get mad LOL. Hypocrisy at it's best!
Err...what has that got to do with my comment? All businesses exist to make profit. Why should anyone get mad at that? People get mad at B&M for the experience more than whether they're making profits or driving cars.

Err...what has that got to do with my comment? All businesses exist to make profit. Why should anyone get mad at that? People get mad at B&M for the experience more than whether they're making profits or driving cars.

You better read the comment on the first page then!

You better read the comment on the first page then!
I've read all the replies here before making my comment. Still don't see why my comment is quoted for that reply. Doesn't make any sense. You can continue the conversation of that other point separately.

I personally do not mind buying from a B&M shop or from online. I will buy online if the price is good and there is a good return policy in case something goes wrong. I buy local otherwise. Things like cloths, I always prefer to buy locally due to sizing issue. Though yeah, myntra returns made me shop online.

For me buying online is convenient, and I will prefer that till it not hurts. Now going to the original point where this all started, the way I interpreted was that he was saying that, no online stores means less competition and it is pretty common for sellers to create monopoly in that case.

Is monopoly good, nope. But its not good, be it of a local seller or an online retailer.

flipkart used to have a good return policy initially, now its just okay. Amazon in India has no question ask return policy currently. In US, they do not, they charge you for shipping if the problem is not their fault(same as flipkart current). These are just a lure to get customers to shop online, once you do; they slowly want to reduce on these services and rates also appear normal. So take benefit till it last.

I personally want more options, more competition, as a consumer; it works best for me.

The problem of getting cheaper stuff or on international pricing will be solved only if

1)production starts in india
2)bigger companies have their warehouses in india itself

Already the cellphones,laptops,lcd's are competitively priced as there is huge demand and they have set shop in india.
Unfortunately the same does not apply to niche products like audio products as the market is small due to low publicity and as a result the typical prices are 30% higher for such stuff.

So unless that happens the prices will be more or less same for fringe electronics.

That being said brick and mortar stores are a headache,,,,almost never offer any discounts and have a very limited inventory.
They simply cannot compete with e-retailers,amazon being here or not.

So you want them to care now. Like you want them to be caring like your parents? Seriously what is wrong with you. Trust me online seriously hasn't damaged B&M stores. But it's one seed that B&M stores wants the nip the bud early on as they have the potential. Caring doesn't depend how online is operating but rather depends on the store owners. Exlcusive stores won't care period, why? because employees! OEM's just lease the store to employees to make them profits but in b&m stores, the owner is there and cares enough. so... Puhleez don't go all urban up my ass.

@ontopic http://www.medianama.com/2014/11/223-on-amazons-filing-about-possibly-discontinuing-operations-in-india/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed: medianama (Medianama: Digital Media In India) this clears I guess.[DOUBLEPOST=1414992924][/DOUBLEPOST]

It can be forged anywhere. It's just that 1 out of 1000 big M&N will be willing to take that risk.

Firstly, please proof read what you have typed before posting. Read it once, before pressing the 'Post Reply' button.

B&M stores are being affected slowly, but surely. I know this because I have spoken to them about the same.

Forget urban. Even in rural, I know that people have started buying online.

In the end, both will co-exist. People who want to see/try something will opt for offline, while us chaps would prefer online.

Firstly, please proof read what you have typed before posting. Read it once, before pressing the 'Post Reply' button.

B&M stores are being affected slowly, but surely. I know this because I have spoken to them about the same.

Forget urban. Even in rural, I know that people have started buying online.

In the end, both will co-exist. People who want to see/try something will opt for offline, while us chaps would prefer online.

My gawd, it's like I am dealing with biggest idiots on the interwebs. By "urban" I meant urbandictionary.com aka using slangs. Also, writing in bold letters won't say you are right and what the hell is "please proof read"?

You have talked to B&M stores? LOL. Dude, my dad owns one, I go to parties 10 times a month held by OEMs and meet alot of B&M store people. As I said, not being affected but B&M people want to nip the bud right now before it becomes big so they are against e-tailers as e-tailers have potential. While "us" chaps LOL. Those "us" chaps are nothing more than people who go for discounts. No pun intended , ofc it's everyone's right to have discounts but those "us" people don't have loyalty to anyone. They will go to B&M store if they give more discount and they will go to online if they are giving more discount. So don't tone your post as being proud and I come in that same "us" category people aswell, but atleast I know it's not something to be proud off.

^^

You seem way too hyper to be involved in these type of discussions. You support B&M. Good. Others don't and will not. That also good.

Us, We, others, everyone wants the best lowest possible price for everything from a car to underwear we buy. Really dont care from where Us, We, others, everyone get that.
I mean, is that really hard to understand? Amazon officer may or should drive a Rolls Royce. it means his business is booming. Means lower price for Us, We, others, everyone.
Means more to pay of our car EMI so that we can also upgrade from a Maurti 800 to perhaps a Maruti Swift or even expensive underwear if feeling handsome.

But now if the local B&M guy is doing good means, I end up paying more for things I shouldn't. Becasue there are way too many B&M that makes money off me. That's not a good sign.
You say we show attitude to them at their shop and Amazon Inc, a public company will forge their numbers. These types of statements doesn't help to take you serious enough. :)

IMO you guys should lobby to shut the internet down. One shot, kill em all.

My gawd, it's like I am dealing with biggest idiots on the interwebs. By "urban" I meant urbandictionary.com aka using slangs. Also, writing in bold letters won't say you are right and what the hell is "please proof read"?

You have talked to B&M stores? LOL. Dude, my dad owns one, I go to parties 10 times a month held by OEMs and meet alot of B&M store people. As I said, not being affected but B&M people want to nip the bud right now before it becomes big so they are against e-tailers as e-tailers have potential. While "us" chaps LOL. Those "us" chaps are nothing more than people who go for discounts. No pun intended , ofc it's everyone's right to have discounts but those "us" people don't have loyalty to anyone. They will go to B&M store if they give more discount and they will go to online if they are giving more discount. So don't tone your post as being proud and I come in that same "us" category people aswell, but atleast I know it's not something to be proud off.

If your dad owns the shop - then what exactly are you hinting? Did you parents (since you are the shop owners, duh) give good treatment to the customers who had come? If yes, then you have the answer - people will be loyal. If not - then again you have your answer.

People do not run always after discounts. I could have saved tons costs on server hardware by purchasing from smesauda.com, based out of Delhi. I opted not too. Ditto for desktops. Ditto for software. Coming to home - groceries/sundries/etc - I prefer to go every Sunday, and get them.

And I still would like to reiterate my words about you reading what you are typing. I cannot understand half of what you have posted. More like trying to convince that online shopping is wrong, but you still shop from there, even though you own a B&M.

LOL. You goddamn VOTE dude. You do know that right? If you think every party is corrupt then just have enough followers, friend's in the city and make yours. There is alternative to everything.
I do vote & voting in India is choosing the party you hate the least. And where did I say that I want to get involved in bringing alternatives? You argument is absurd.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the other note, I always prefer buying stuff from shops as much as possible. There is more satisfaction of getting it immediately.
However, I stopped buying clothes at shops as I do not ever get stuff of my size. Myntra, on the other hand is cheaper & has better fitting clothes.
I always purchase mobile phones from a particular shop here in Bhubaneswar. The shop guys are friendly, and offer good prices. And that makes so much difference. While this shop is always crowded, all the adjacent shops are almost empty whenever I visit the market.
Excluding above, if I start writing about my experiences online vs offline it will take a huge post but I will always prefer buying online rather than haggling with rude shop owners.

^^

You seem way too hyper to be involved in these type of discussions. You support B&M. Good. Others don't and will not. That also good.

Us, We, others, everyone wants the best lowest possible price for everything from a car to underwear we buy. Really dont care from where Us, We, others, everyone get that.
I mean, is that really hard to understand? Amazon officer may or should drive a Rolls Royce. it means his business is booming. Means lower price for Us, We, others, everyone.
Means more to pay of our car EMI so that we can also upgrade from a Maurti 800 to perhaps a Maruti Swift or even expensive underwear if feeling handsome.

But now if the local B&M guy is doing good means, I end up paying more for things I shouldn't. Becasue there are way too many B&M that makes money off me. That's not a good sign.
You say we show attitude to them at their shop and Amazon Inc, a public company will forge their numbers. These types of statements doesn't help to take you serious enough. :)

IMO you guys should lobby to shut the internet down. One shot, kill em all.

No I am not. And I am not supporting anyone. I am just saying people here only are seeing one side of coin. Support whoever you want, I don't care.

See! right there, you don't care what one's company owners drive, or a b&m store owner drives, but my response was for the guy who replied on first page. His reply was outright rude. Lower prices for you? Trust me on this when I say : You guys never pay lower. OEM's are evil and they rape your wallet. It costs OEM's 1/10th of the cost per one gadget to which you pay on MRP(or whatever lower). So saying you pay low doesn't make sense whatsoever.

Not taking serious enough, first of all I don't give a damn if someone takes me serious or not. But if someone's counting numbers, most of replies were there for my post for whatever that's worth, go figure, not that I am proud of either.

"You guys"? "We"? Seriously what is wrong with you? Are you scared or something or you believe in attacking someone by having your own gang. Sounds totally bullying to me, though won't work with me. Next time try to get your reply come as your own opinions, beliefs and not making like "We" or "You guys".

Now there's a revelation. Guess who's paying for those parties. Indirectly, your customers via higher prices set by the OEM to make up costs for the 10 parties a month you freeload on.

Wow, really small mindset. Guess who is paid for your studies when you were 14yro(or you still are? based on your posts)? who paid for those tutions? who paid for your food? who paid for those books? You don't believe your father did , do you? He made that money by doing something which in directly or indirectly got that money off someone. Is that really hard to understand here? If it really is .. there you go " Yes I freelode on your money, come at me bro.".

It's just that everyone's father does really really hardwork before having this privilege of attending these parties. Lemme break that for you on how he did : old gen to new generation (me) - sold flowers in front of a mandir , worked hard!, then sold bakery items, worked hard!, then sold clothes, worked hard! then sold bante wala soda, worked hard! , then became the area distributor of Coca cola beverages limited , worked hard! then changed whole line and invested in electronics, worked hard! attended the party. Have any idea how much you need to invest before getting the OEM's take you seriously? Lemme break it for you, atleast 50L to 2Cr. Never cheated, did any 2 numberi jobs or anything. Don't ever call someone a "freeloader" ever dude, you really are shameless.[DOUBLEPOST=1415035522][/DOUBLEPOST]
I cannot understand half of what you have posted. More like trying to convince that online shopping is wrong, but you still shop from there, even though you own a B&M.

You don't need to man, try not to waste your time bolding those letters and instead reading my posts, you might understand them. I don't have time to correct my grammer here.

Last edited:
Back