Android Do we really need phones with more than 4GB RAM?

Oneplus 3 came with 6GB of RAM but they optimized it to run around 20 apps for better battery life and soon there came a fix for that:

More Funnier thing was this response from CEO:
we have a different strategy for RAM management that benefits battery. We think this is the best user experience.

https://twitter.com/getpeid/status/743721729948737536

This seems like a disappointment to me. Although, I could root the phone and utilize the whole 6Gigs of ram.. this sounded very much like a HTC M9 type mess (underclocked in order not to generate high temperatures) resulting in a disaster.

Now there's this rumored phone with 8Gb of RAM? Do we really need this much of RAM? 4GB is far from enough according to me.

With such marketing gimmicks and poor software optimization whats the use of high end memory or batteries?
Let us know your comments.

Agreed. A optimized lag free UI is more important. These companies anyway never release updates after a year so its not as if having 6gb ram futureproofs it or something. They should make phones that last a full day at least. Almost 50% of people nowdays carry powerbanks etc as phones die too soon which makes you carry heavy ass powerbanks while admiring your phones 7.2463 mm of thinness. With people using more and more data and mobiles becoming primary computing devices for office work its vital a phone lasts a day no matter what.

If you are talking about Android then anything may be less.
The phones are so damn unresponsive and laggy.

The only Androids that appear to be better off are the stock ones.

If you are talking about Android then anything may be less.
I don't agree with you. My personal experience with HTC M7,M8, and Samsung Flagships s6,s7 has been touch wood. Even with multiple tasking i was getting excellent battery life and still left with lots of memory.

I don't agree with you. My personal experience with HTC M7,M8, and Samsung Flagships s6,s7 has been touch wood. Even with multiple tasking i was getting excellent battery life and still left with lots of memory.
Same here, using S7 edge currently, the performance on speed, responsiveness & battery life is fantastic. M8 & S6 were equally fast as my Nexus 5 & Z3 compact. No issues with performance.

@OP we'll be needing more than 4gb RAM soon, most of the computing is shifting towards mobile platform. Mobile devices are evolving from content consumption jobs to content creation tasks. Mobile apps and games are becoming increasingly resource Hungry with successive iteration.

Even Apple silently upgraded ipad Pro RAM to 4gb ; understanding the need for higher RAM, if you want to use your device for much useful creative tasks instead of dumb media consumption device. Its not just Android, I'll expect to see more than 4gb RAM across all mobile devices, irrespective of the OS ecosystem.

and this sums it up...

1tO1F6m.jpg

Galaxy Note7 is said to come with 5.8-inch QHD dual-edge Super AMOLED display, Exynos 8 SoC processor, 6GB of RAM, improved 12-megapixel camera with dual-pixel phase-detection autofocus, and a 4,000 mAh battery. Earlier reports suggest that the Note 7 will have an IP68 rating, an iris scanner and a USB Type-C port.

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/189463/samsung-galaxy-note7-confirmed-again-by-new-report.html

Rumored specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note7-8082.php

iphone 5, which is an old phone runs iOS 10 fluidly. 1GB DDR2 RAM mobile. I don't know what is it to hold a mobile of 6GB of RAM, but 2GB is more than enough if the developers can optimized the OS.
Agreed - my wife uses the same phone and it is much better than comparable phones so far as responsiveness goes.

iphone 5, which is an old phone runs iOS 10 fluidly. 1GB DDR2 RAM mobile. I don't know what is it to hold a mobile of 6GB of RAM, but 2GB is more than enough if the developers can optimized the OS.

Not true. I sold my iphone 5 about a couple months ago. It was on ios 9, and I cant call it smooth at all. It was jittery even when opening the recent apps menu.

As for the android ram argument, I have a snapdragon variant of Note 3, it has 3Gb ram. It had android 4.3 when I bought it, and maybe 3 gigs was an overkill then. Now, it runs cm13, and its very smooth, and performs so much better than my cousins Nexus 5 with the same proccy and 2 gigs of ram.

As previously said, all apps and the OS itself is becoming heavier everyday, so I guess having more ram is a kind of future proofing.

(Cant advocate for 8Gb ram though).

Back