Domain buying and hosting queries

comp@ddict

Skilled
guys i need to register and host a .in or .com domain at the cheapest rate, and also.need hosting, reliable hosting

also, right now the page is a wordpress blog. can i host and register with wordpress itself? because i really want to continue using the template.

can i use the free wordpress template on another domain host also?

you can continue using the same wordpress blog by upgrading it to the domain name of your choice from abc.wordpress.com.

try bigrock and mitsu.in for indian domain registrars. You can try namecheap and godaddy but you need paypal i guess.

If you want to move the blog from wordpress.com to self hosted wordpress.org these links might come handy

http://en.support.wordpress.com/moving-a-blog/

http://www.problogger.net/archives/2009/01/03/how-to-move-from-wordpresscom-to-wordpressorg/

http://www.labnol.org/internet/move-to-wordpress-org/18850/

reliable hosting = hostgator eyes closed.

Wait for other members to share their views

If you are planning on using google adsense, or something similar to generate revenue, I'd suggest moving your blog off wordpress's servers. i.e unless you're willing to pay ~$100 a year.

If you want your own .com address and want to host on wordpress, it'll cost you ~$12 and wordpress will show their ads on your site.

But hosting on wordpress.com means you won't have to worry about performance issues.

You can use the free templates irrespective of where you host your blog. If you want me to check, let me know the name of you're template, and I'll confirm if it's available.

You can register a .in for Rs.79 (mitsu.in), and a .com for ~Rs.65 (with Godaddy if you're okay about the whole SOPA thing, and willing to wait for their $1 domain coupons).

Finding good hosting is another matter.

The hostgator 1 year baby plan @ Rs.360/month seems good. Unlimited domain, traffic, and space + a shared SSL certificate. You can pay monthly, and change if you're not happy/need to upgrade.

Godaddy's got shared wordpress hosting @ between 250-350 bucks/month.

I don't know how good these are, but considering you can pay monthly, it's not much of a risk.

Okay, I'll be extremely specific.

I need:

1. to transfer my existing "xyzzyqwert12.wordpress.com" to "www.xyzqwert12.in"

2. I want to BUY the DOMAIN, WANT a DOMAIN HOSTER and monthly plans are preferred, but it's ok without too.

3. I want my EXISTING wordpress TEMPLATE to continue on the NEW PAGE also

1. You can just export asdfghjkl.wordpress.com and import it to asdfghjkl.in .

2. Buy domain @ bigrock.com Buy hosting @ hostso.com - 29rs/month

3.All the wordpress themes are available for install wherever the domain is located.

Do not buy anything from BigRock or from any Indian hosting sites. They are known to take down websites/content if they are intimidated by someone without a proper paperwork and won't inform you. Hostgator all the way.

guys i need to register and host a .in or .com domain at the cheapest rate, and also.need hosting, reliable hosting

also, right now the page is a wordpress blog. can i host and register with wordpress itself? because i really want to continue using the template.

can i use the free wordpress template on another domain host also?

NameCheap for doamin & rvh.in, bizzhost.com or hostcats.com for hosting tried & tested combination as your domain & hosting will be in safe hand
<

Do not buy anything from BigRock or from any Indian hosting sites. They are known to take down websites/content if they are intimidated by someone without a proper paperwork and won't inform you. Hostgator all the way.

You just CAN'T trust any either Indian or western hosting service providers ALL WILL ACT SAME if they received any mail about your domain or site (they don't care whether genuine or from your business rival or staged). I had bad experience with ..daddy & good experience with rvh.in at least Indian part care to send me notification before taking any action.

1. don't register .in domain, else you will rank better only on google.co.in, unless the content is super duper unique. By purchasing a .in domain you are restricting the site to rank well only in India. get a .com / .org / .net TLD

2. Don't go with Indian Webhosts, most of them are resellers of US/UK Webhosts and will start crying like babies if your site gets hacked or there's is a massive DDoS attack on their server etc. I highly recommend HostGator US and Hawkhost

3. For domain, go for Namecheap and apply proper discount code when registering. Say NO to NoDaddy

4. AFAIK, All WordPress.com themes are available for self hosted wordpress blog users. check wordpress.org themes directory, website of official web developer or search the web with the themes name

5. Don't host with Wordpress.com, as they have lots of restrictions w.r.t. Advertisements

Okay, from what I've gathered, I should buy the domain from namecheap and host it at hostgator. Is that right?

But how much would hostgator cost me?

And I don't plan on ads. No ads.

Hostgator is too costly. I cant spend too much as all of it will come from my pocket, meaning the allowance I receive monthly at college.

Okay, I'll even tell you the purpose of the site.

It's a photoblog, more specifically a college photoblog. But ofcourse, it will be open for viewing and commenting and all to everyone.

OP, go with any one suggested by me in last thread as they are Tested in long run, go with HostCats they are bit costly but very good support I also face no real big problem with rvh.in - in last 8 years- rvh.in is really cheap & good & so bizzhost.com

Don't worry about hackers or crackers keep your Password tight & don't upload unknown script/tool/utility etc.

Don't worry with Indian hosting providers as they are reseller of USA based Hosting company & most of Tech Supports are directly from USA base tech. person from Parent Company.

#comp@ddict Here is a cheapest option. Get a domain from Bigrock . www.x10hosting.com - free hosting i am using it from 6 months 0 downtime till now except the time they were upgrading the servers which was only once that too only few hours. Please make a backup of everything that you have on site as a precautionary measure nothing much.

^ he wanted a photoblog to be hosted. Using freewebhosts is not recommended for such usage. The speed of the servers will be very slow. There will be a maximum connections limit for the database, somewhere around 30 at a time or so.

Its good if you fix your budget and check various options given by members.

#thatsashok what you said is true for 95% of the free web hosts. I am not vouching for x10hosting because i use it but they actually do a great job in providing hosting. They have strict rules that's why they are able to maintain quality. If you don't login to the forum atleast once a month your acount will be suspended - just to show your presence. if they find out that your site has anything remotely objectionable - Account suspended . 2 accounts for same person - suspend & ban. They have an IRC to help users instantaneously. I am telling all of this because you know how serious and dedicated they are working to keep it clean and quality oriented.

One advice, while buying any domain also look for renewal fee.

You may get this one at cheaper price, but the recurring cost may be high in cases.

I dont have specifics, but just do li'l research.

Check for Namecheap Coupons in Google. You'll find some which will reduce the price by a couple of dollars.

If you need a place to host your Site, PM me.

New godaddy offer -

GoDaddy $1.49 New Registration

Right now, you can register any available .COM, .CA, .US, .MOBI, .BIZ, .NET, .ORG, .CO.UK and .IN domain for $1.49! Use exclusive coupon code FREEZE149 at the checkout to get the discount.

The promotional price applies to the first year only of new registrations. This offer may not be used for renewals, transfers, bulk registrations, premium domains or Sunrise/Landrush domain registrations. There's a limit of one order per customer.

Use a virtual credit card if you're buying. Godaddy stores credit card info, and doesn't use verified by visa.

And disable auto-renew, and any other additional services after you've bought the domain name.

Back