Downloading RIG

Altair

Skilled
I want to build the cheapest possible downloading rig for myself. Will do nothing but use it for downloading as i will already have another rig besides this(Main Rig),Will be used only at night.

Should have a DVI port so that i can connect it to my Samsung Syncmaster B2330 or a VGA will do?

Budget:Cheapest Possible with very low power consumption. Also suggest me a good cabby for this. Small one. :)

Thanks Guys.

Circle 623 + PSU = 1200/- (Some cabby + psu combos are available at 1K too)

AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz 1800/-

ASUS M4N68T-M 2350/- or GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 2200/-

2gb DDR3 Ram 600/-

Seagate 500gb 2000/-

Dvd writer (if you want) 900/-

My honest suggestion is get a second hand rig if downloading is what you are going to use it for

Get the AMD Brazos platform [CPU fused mini-ITX motherboard] ~ 7500/- + 2GB x 1 DDR III module ~ 900/- + Zebronics [SMPS + Cabinet] ~ 1000/-, this is the cheapest you can get a brand new RIG, else search for ATOM rigs in the Member's Market.

Though the salient features of the AMD Brazos chip are --> more performance per watt [than ATOM], greater graphics muscle and smaller architecture. Get this RIG and don't look back for a bunch of years [if downloading and spreadsheets is the maximum you expect of this RIG]. AnandTech - Bench - CPU /
VIA Nano X2 vs AMD Brazos vs Intel Atom - CPUs - CPU-Components

Hope this helps, Sire.
P.S. -- I see you've put a DP of the were-wolf in Witcher 1 [I forgot his name].

chiragsthakur said:
Alpha will recommend the best choice for you.. :) Wait for his comment

Thanks for that boost, Sire. Having a bad patch for the past week [will rep as soon as possible].

^^The Brazos based top of the line combo from MSI (mb + apu) cost around 6.6k, the lower end model should be around 5.5k odd.

The best part of brazos is awesome performance @ the kind of power it takes. Using E350 for couple of weeks and I didn't even noticed a lag in day to day app. Feels like using Athon II :p

Intel D425KT - ATOM 1.6 GHz - DDR3 ~ 2.95k

2GB DDR3 laptop RAM ~ 0.65k

2nd hand 250GB or 320GB HDD in warranty ~ 1k

Generic Case + FSP 400w OEM ~0.65k+0.95k ~ 1.6k

Total: ~ 6.2k

This should fit you well in case you are intent on getting a rig.

Too many Options. :S I have a Budget of exact 7k for this. Finally tell what you guess will suggest. Also i am noob related to PSU's I have a local 450w PSU. Just want to know i set the new system with this PSU will it take 450w or like that exact watt that the system is taking. Sorry Complete n00b. :ashamed:

@ALPHA17-Your config overshoots my budget. :( and it was vincent meis. Chapter 3(Started playing Witcher 1 in order to play Witcher 2) :D...I know he had a good heart but me is me...Killed him..:p

@DarkAngel-Most probably i will go with your suggestion but still waiting for a few more replies. Thanks btw :)

Do not go for a cheapo PSU, since the unit is always going to be on. Amount of power consumed will be extremely less but this is one department which should never be compromised.

Regarding the HDD, I would not be comfortable with 2nd hand platters. UNLESS, usage has been low. Imagine you are seeding around 70-80 files and the platters conk off, you are jacked big time. Get a 2nd hand CPU/motherboard/case/RAM if you can manage, but keep the PSU and HDDs stellar. :)

I am planning something similar cause my Netbook (160GB) minus OS footprint is not enough, for 24x7 seeding/DL'ing.

Anyone have any idea for a low profile case, even if cheap. Will throw out the PSU. I have a spare E7400, which I will probably dock to a 2nd hand motherboard, get value RAM and plonk in a decent FSP Saga'iesh PSU along with 2TB of storage. Done. Will connect to this system using some remote desktop software.

I had a netbook actually HP one,Atom CPU. as asingh said it hangs and heats up too. So will not go with a net book.

@asingh-okay thanks. so i should go with what DarkAngel recommended then?

Also I calculated PSU Wattage@[URL="http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine"]eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5[/URL] of the config that DarkAngel Recommended. It said Min. 46w and Recommended 96w.

My question is that it will take max. 100w only na from that FSP 400w or will it use full 400w? as i said n00b.

it will take only as much as required. If at idle it needs 20w then it will take 25w-30w from mains. This is assuming the psu has a efficiency between 80 and 66.67. Usually decent oem ones have 70+ efficiency. So if your rig consumes 70 watts(DC), the PSU would draw 100 watts from the mains(AC). The rest of the watts (100-70-> 30w) is lost in the form of heat while converting AC to DC. Higher the efficiency lesser the wastage of power while converting AC-> DC

Why selling your E2160 rig when you can use it as a download rig?

Although it would consume a little more power than other new options. But still not much I suppose.

Aah ok. But it would have served your purpose nicely.

Anyways, I think the cheapest, least power consuming and also the smallest option is what cranky saar suggested.
cranky said:
Router with USB port ~3k

Portable HDD 250GB ~2k
If you're using it purely for downloading purposes, you can just buy a router with a USB port. Asus N13U B1 is a decent router for 3k.

Back