Downloading RIG

If you go the router way, just check before hand the "n" count for number of torrents files permitted.

Altair said:
^^Can you help me out how will i download using that, i've got no idea about this. Can it also download torrents?

Be prepared for a LOT of tinkering with such devices. It isn't as easy as plug-n-go. You have to configure it extensively and troubleshoot it should some issue arise later.

Instead if you are my types who prefer a simple and power efficient system, a barebone Atom setup with a 2GB DDR3 RAM should be more than sufficient.

Delta Peripherals have listed the Intel D425KT for 2950 INR. A module of 2GB DDR3 1333MHz laptop RAM costs 800 INR. Get that FSP 450W OEM power supply for 950 INR. Get any decent SATA hard drive depending on your requirement, shove it inside a shoe box and run the system headless with a remote desktop utility such as Teamviewer.

Oh and JFYI, this setup can run Win 7 32bit just fine. My netbook does flawlessly.

Altair said:
as asingh said it hangs and heats up too. So will not go with a net book.

I have a Samsung N128 netbook which has been working perfectly as a 24x7 download rig since its inception circa December 2009. Haven't faced any issues yet. A netbook also requires maintenance like any other device - the vent grills and fan may get clogged with dust and requires periodic cleaning to ensure proper working.

Gannu said:
Be prepared for a LOT of tinkering with such devices. It isn't as easy as plug-n-go. You have to configure it extensively and troubleshoot it should some issue arise later.

Instead if you are my types who prefer a simple and power efficient system, a barebone Atom setup with a 2GB DDR3 RAM should be more than sufficient.

Delta Peripherals have listed the Intel D425KT for 2950 INR. A module of 2GB DDR3 1333MHz laptop RAM costs 800 INR. Get that FSP 450W OEM power supply for 950 INR. Get any decent SATA hard drive depending on your requirement, shove it inside a shoe box and run the system headless with a remote desktop utility such as Teamviewer.

Oh and JFYI, this setup can run Win 7 32bit just fine. My netbook does flawlessly.

I have a Samsung N128 netbook which has been working perfectly as a 24x7 download rig since its inception circa December 2009. Haven't faced any issues yet. A netbook also requires maintenance like any other device - the vent grills and fan may get clogged with dust and requires periodic cleaning to ensure proper working.

Good recommendations for a nice solution. Am also interested in the same, but not able to find a decent cabinet.

My Netbook hangs big time. Yesterday I opened it up, but was not able to reach the HSF. The motherboard is far to tacked down and there is a ton of white tape inside. Also the connectors are lame. :(

LOL what cabinet do you need? :p

I had a similar Atom setup inside a Nike shoebox tucked atop the cupboard. Ran headless. You don't really need a cabinet for such systems.

Yeah i guess i can use my adidas shoe's box then which i bought 2 days ago. :D

And i finalized that i am going with the atom setup then. :)

I overlooked some of the posts. Seems like darkangel has already suggested what I exactly had in my mind. :)

DarkAngel said:
Intel D425KT - ATOM 1.6 GHz - DDR3 ~ 2.95k

2GB DDR3 laptop RAM ~ 0.65k

2nd hand 250GB or 320GB HDD in warranty ~ 1k

Generic Case + FSP 400w OEM ~0.65k+0.95k ~ 1.6k

Total: ~ 6.2k

This should fit you well in case you are intent on getting a rig.

^^Can you help me out how will i download using that, i've got no idea about this. Can it also download torrents?

i. Buy router

ii. Install drivers and application in any PC on the network, or flash firmware of your choice

iii. Browse and save the .torrent files

iv. Load the .torrent files in application you installed earlier

v. Switch off the PC and go to sleep.

vi. In the morning, wake up to freshly-baked torrents.

Except for Asus, where you replace step 6 with pulling your hair out because it did not download.

Guys it's very confusing....^Achha as I have 3 Portable HDD's & as it will definitely be low on power can u suggest which router to buy? btw as gannu quoted,"Be prepared for a LOT of tinkering with such devices. It isn't as easy as plug-n-go. You have to configure it extensively and troubleshoot it should some issue arise later." What about this then?

It may be or it may not be, it depends on the device.

I believe the Asus works well when you buy the new ones (mine is the older V1 router that has multiple personality issues). The N-13U is supposed to do the job well and yes, it is supposed to be plug and play.

I did manage to download a torrent here and there and though the speed was bollocks and the files incomplete, it is easy to complete a partially downloaded torrent (this forum taught me how to do that) once I copied it back to my PC. After a few firmware updates that feature just stopped working. Just like that. Though to be fair, the updates gave the router itself a slightly better performance.

Look it's your call. There are many options. I am now on a PC-based setup, with a single machine doing duty as a NAS/fileserver and a router of sorts to run the internet throughout the house. The old router is now defunct. My PC is similar to the choice that DarkAngel gave you, except that it uses a board with more storage slots and regular DDR2, because I had so many hard drives around along with some spare RAM.

Gannu said:

Me being a system admin and all went on to clean my netbook and ended up with a dead Acer Aspire One mobo. I still have it :ashamed:
Its mobo refused to charge the battery.. repairs cost 15k (seriously !!)
Now am onto a Dell Mini 10 and yes its heating up so I'm guessing its clogged. Any pointers / guides on how to open and close it safely :bleh:

djmykey said:
Me being a system admin and all went on to clean my netbook and ended up with a dead Acer Aspire One mobo. I still have it :ashamed:

Now am onto a Dell Mini 10 and yes its heating up so I'm guessing its clogged. Any pointers / guides on how to open and close it safely :bleh:

You need the service manual for your device. i got the one for my C702TU, opened it, cleaned it and put it back together. Working perfectly ever since!

djmykey said:

Two days ago I tried my Acer D255. Put it back after a while, and then realized the touchpad connector was not done. What a PITA. Never reached the HSF, cause the motherboard is too embedded. Useless junk.

If you are looking to download 1-2 torrent file simultaneously then get Asus RT-N13U router its sleek great router as well download rig.You can also look at Seagate Dockstar which can handle more.

And if you have a budget around get Tonido Plug and relax , BTW all these devices do not consume more than 8W and can be kept on for continuously for 1 month

Refer this thread

http://www.techenclave.com/gadgets-...ting-all-downloaders-no-pc-laptop-191615.html

asingh said:
Two days ago I tried my Acer D255. Put it back after a while, and then realized the touchpad connector was not done. What a PITA. Never reached the HSF, cause the motherboard is too embedded. Useless junk.

My Gateway LT2104u power button's connector clip broke when I tried to clean it up & replace the Thermal Paste.

It used to Idle at 50 degrees & 60~63 with load. After changing the stock paste to an Arctic MX2 it idles at 32 degrees:O & max 50 at full load.

The quality of materials which Acer uses it utter crap power button clip broke & now My battery refuses to recharge beyond 49% after 8~9 months.

vivek.krishnan said:
You need the service manual for your device. i got the one for my C702TU, opened it, cleaned it and put it back together. Working perfectly ever since!

Thanks for the tip. I opened up the laptop and closed it back in 15 mins flat :bleh:
Why so fast... No HSF in this laptop, so it is bound to get hot in a while. And oh did I mention that the internals of the laptop was almost dustless :eek:hyeah:

@OP: If you buy an Atom do let me know if the proccy comes with a fan, even a puny one.. coz there isn't one in the Dell Mini 10 1012 :|

Back