Dragon Age 3: Inquisition - Discussion Thread

Finished it finally, about 130 hours. It had its ups and downs, but overall it's decent. I tend to be critical after I finish a game, so the negatives come first.

- Bioware needs to learn how to code in Frostbite. There are a lot of bugs, even after two patches. Considering how great their previous games were I expected better from them.
- The game has a lots and lots and lots of filler. I swear I cannot remember the last time I had seen such filler side quests in an RPG, maybe in Kingdoms Of Amalur. Thankfully the maps are not bad and the combat plays nicely so it was not very boring.
- The controls felt different at first but after 10 hours or so I had adjusted to them and it stopped bothering me. I played with KB/M.
- Tactical view is useless. I used it very less, maybe in one or two dragon fights. Fk them for messing this up.
- Loot is pointless for the most part, except some uniques which can be used for some levels. Crafting is the way to go. But requires collecting a lot of metals, herbs and cloth. Hated that.
- Different difficulty zones in the same map. Why would they do that? Is this an MMO? My level 4 party got wiped by level 12 demons and a level 14 dragon before I could realize what was going on. Ended up over leveling my party so much that I blew everything up right up to the last boss.
- Lack of custscenes, only the companion quests and the main quest lines had beautifully rendered cutscenes. Huge letdown after Mass Effect.
- Only 8 skills available in the hotbar. Very weird design decision.
- Mounts totally useless. Companions disappear magically when you mount up, so no party banter. No search for materials too.
- Some classes are broken. Champion Warrior, Knight Enchanter and Tempest Rogue makes the game too easy.

Positives:

- Epic is back. After the crime drama that was DA2 Bioware is back to save the world, and I dig save the world.
- Great dialogues between party members while exploring. Gives good insight to the party NPCs.
- Beautiful spell effects, good spell combos from different characters.
- Removal of heals and limited potions is actually good. Potion chugging through a tough fight no longer feasible.
- I liked the companions better than DA:O. More character to them, maybe because of the party banter.
- Choices from DAO and DA2 are nicely implemented, although there can be some inconsistencies. Lot of loose ends tied up.
- Key decisions are difficult and will change the game a lot. Some decisions will be reflected in future DLCs/Expansions/Sequels (hopefully).
- Good music and great tavern songs. I liked them a lot.
- Dragon encounters would have been great fun if I had not overlevelled my party so much. Each dragon different with different strategies, strengths and weaknesses.

Overall a good game. Worth my money, even if it went to EA haha.

^^ Excellent verdict, couldn't have said it better.
Even i overlevelled, blew trough the 3 dragons in empress du lyon (or something) without even going back to camp for refilling potions. I was level 22 and the dragons were all level 20+. A party of a champion warrior, a tempest rogue and a KE mage is more or less unstoppable. Add to that a templar in Cass and it is unstoppable. Only the last mission left.

I am not sure how much % i have completed. Just reached skyhold. About level 12 now (party level 11), Just doing some random quests and stuff.
Sided with the templars and the mages are against me now
I am mostly interested by the depth they have added to game. There is lot to do, read, talk and learn.

I am not sure how much % i have completed. Just reached skyhold. About level 12 now (party level 11), Just doing some random quests and stuff.
Sided with the templars and the mages are against me now
I am mostly interested by the depth they have added to game. There is lot to do, read, talk and learn.
Just complete main mission too. I focused too much on side quests and ended up over levelling up a bit.

Just complete main mission too. I focused too much on side quests and ended up over leveling up a bit.
I think i have to do some over leveling ... am playing it more like an action rpg. I dont use the tactical view unless i have to move Solas to the back of the fight. :)
My party make up currently is Cassandra (2-hander), Blackwell (sheild-tank), Solas (barrier-lightning), and Me inquisitor as long range archer.

And here he is :) ... Simple humble.
Screenshot_Win32_0002_Final.png

I think i have to do some over leveling ... am playing it more like an action rpg. I dont use the tactical view unless i have to move Solas to the back of the fight. :)
My party make up currently is Cassandra (2-hander), Blackwell (sheild-tank), Solas (barrier-lightning), and Me inquisitor as long range archer.

And here he is :) ... Simple humble.
If you are playing in normal difficulty, trust me, the game becomes too easy if you overlevel. I didn't use tactical view too. Its more or less useless. And with that party, you will be godlike. Rifts are a bit challenging but once cass gets templar speciality, even that becomes too easy. I would suggest you go with Tempest speciality for yourselves.

The DLC is out, and I am downloading it right now. Only on XBox One and PC for now. $15 in US, $10 in Origin Mexico, where I got it from. It's not very big, one big area like Hinterlands and a couple of boss fights.

:eek:

Let us know your views once done. Hinterlands took a major chunk of the time in my playthrough. Crazy big area if you look to explore it completely

Last edited:
Just started yesterday. It's been a long time, promptly got party wiped by a fade rift :bag: Not having the mages available is a bit irritating, need to cast all barriers myself. It's a level 20 area, so at least the loot is quite good.

:eek:

Let us know your views once done. Hinterlands took a major chunk of the time in my playthrough. Crazy big area if you look to explore it completely

Me too. Played through the whole of the hinterlands and realized that I barely made any progress. Not even one new NPC had joined my party. Lost interest a bit after that. Need to get back to it.

Jc36, what level is your character now?

dovakhiin, I'd leveled up a bunch thanks to Hinterlands. By the time I hit Stormy Coast, I was easily higher than the enemies :grimacing:

My party is around 24-25. Not getting much time to play due to the cricket and work, will try to finish it over the weekend.

Guess, I haven't levelled up enough for the storm coast. I left out some stuff in the hinterlands like that dragon that kept killing me :) I saw another dragon in the storm coast didn't dare to approach it.

@Jc36 24-25 in your party? Damn i didn't know you'd meet that many characters. I haven't met any yet, except the first few you get by default.

My party is 24 as well - funny thing happened in my playthrough : I skipped the Sandy Howler (Level 20 dragon) and then went to Emprise du Lion where only the Highland Ravager was left. Now, I skipped the Sandy Howler thinking it'd be a tough fight and I just marched into the Highland Ravager's den :laughing: - I was level 20 iirc. Dunno what I was thinking - and I hadn't even taken a specialization class by then. An hour and a half later, victory tasted real sweet! :grimacing:

Does the DLC add any new Dragons? I ended the game a few couple of months back with every side quests and almost all collectibles being collected. All my party members were at level 24 too. They should have really allowed Dragon's to re-spawn, like in Dragon's Dogma. This could have at least had players gain those rare crafting items by farming them, instead of dupe glitching the hell out of it. Vinsomer and Ferelden Frostback were the ones that gave me a tough fight. I guess that's only because I approached them when I was severely underleveled. With my tempest Rouge beefed up later, none of the rest posed a threat.

Back