Drinking beer every day good for health

avi

Skilled
Doctors have suggested that drinking up to a pint of beer a day is good for the health and can reduce the risk of diabetes and high blood pressure.

They claimed that moderate consumption could even help people lose weight if combined with a healthy diet.

Doctors Ramon Estruch and Rosa Lamuela tested 1,249 men and women over 57 years old.

Those who accompanied a Mediterranean diet with up to a pint of beer 'not only did not put on weight, but in some cases even lost weight'.

The doctors found beer provides the same health benefits attributed to moderate consumption of wine.

"In this study we banish myths. We know that beer is not to blame for obesity," the Daily Mail quoted Dr Lamuela as saying.

Beer contains folic acid, vitamins, iron and calcium, which the study claims provide a 'protective' effect on the cardiovascular system.

The subjects who regularly drank moderate amounts of beer were less likely to suffer from diabetes and high blood pressure, and had a lower body fat content.

The researchers from Barcelona and Madrid suggested women should drink two small glasses of beer a day while men should drink three, combined with a healthy diet and exercise.

Drinking beer every day good for health - The Times of India

Now that doctor have certified this, govt. can earn more revenues by permitting selling beer in pan wala dukaan as well :eek:hyeah:

I read somewhere that there is NO alcohol sold in Gujarat. Is that true ??? How people get it if it is not allowed ? They smuggle it ? Sorry for OT

avi said:
I read somewhere that there is NO alcohol sold in Gujarat. Is that true ??? How people get it if it is not allowed ? They smuggle it ? Sorry for OT

The prohibition in Gujarat is a joke! Mahatma Gandhi's state has the highest consumption of alcohol. Bootleggers do home deliveries here. One needs to look at dust bins and on the sides of the roads to see some of the very best IMFL cartons and bottles strewn around.

ramanujpatro said:
Now that doctor have certified this, govt. can earn more revenues by permitting selling beer in pan wala dukaan as well :eek:hyeah:
That's inappropriate as Pan wala dukaans just sell harmful stuff. This awesome healthy beverage should now be made available at chemist stores! :p

Happy beer day!

I had been to Bhavnagar, Gujarat last month for my office works... managed to get hold of Aristocrat only from a local cigar shop... :( That too at 700/- Nonveg toh durki baat.. Got hold of beer at wapi while returning..

I live in Vapi, the city between two UT i.e, Daman and Silvassa. Daman is know for cheapest selling alcohol in Asia. But I managed to go Daman only once in a Month.

sunny27 said:
The prohibition in Gujarat is a joke! Mahatma Gandhi's state has the highest consumption of alcohol. Bootleggers do home deliveries here. One needs to look at dust bins and on the sides of the roads to see some of the very best IMFL cartons and bottles strewn around.

Apologies but Malluland (read Kerala) takes the cake for the highest per capita consumption of liquor. I don't think Gujarat is anywhere near the top 3 spots.

But yes, we are at the mercy of bootleggers and foreign nationals for sourcing liquor. I source them when vendors visit our place from The Gateway Hotel. Bootleggers charge as high as 1.5-2 times the price despite sourcing it from Daman where they get it a lot cheaper.

That is how they do their "Bijnezz". I never really liked beer--hated it. I prefer whiskey/scotch and wine.

Alright let us keep the discussions a bit civil. Posts on liquor, lust and some other shites are banned I suppose. Even though they may fall under 'anything and everything under the sun' category.

Pinewalon ko pine ka bahana chahiye.......:cheers:

Yes, there is prohibition in Gujarat and yes, It is almost Joke. Bootleggers can get you anything here if you are happy to pay 1.5-2 times. But, prohibition has served it's purpose to an extent. It has kept occupied a large chunk of anti-social elements. Bootlegging & Gambling employs most of the criminal in state and this kind of easy money has kept them from more violent crimes of extotortion/kidnapping.

Betcha these doctors didn't include our Kalyani Black Label in their survey for study...we should stop associating it with Beer Brands and recommend it in hospitals for stomach pumping in case of food poisoning!

Gannu said:
But yes, we are at the mercy of bootleggers and foreign nationals for sourcing liquor. I source them when vendors visit our place from The Gateway Hotel. Bootleggers charge as high as 1.5-2 times the price despite sourcing it from Daman where they get it a lot cheaper.
And these bootleggers would make a very big noise if Gujurat ever decided to legalise alcohol which technically has remained illegal since 1960 !!
I was reading an article some time back that said the guy who delivers milk also has a side business in doing just this. Imagine the milkman bring you booze as well in Gujurat, that must be a first anywhere in the world kind if thing :eek:hyeah:

But otherwise i'm suprised you guys drink beer, thought you would have been more into spirits. More VFM no ? I'm the odd one out at any parties here, they have all kinds of spirits but beer hmmm...

It started off a few years back with a glass of wine a day is good for you. Now its moved on to beer.

Kevin Lane said:
But, prohibition has served it's purpose to an extent. It has kept occupied a large chunk of anti-social elements. Bootlegging & Gambling employs most of the criminal in state and this kind of easy money has kept them from more violent crimes of extotortion/kidnapping.
Interesting. So any move to legalise will result in an increase in crime.

Vijay Malliya i bet is dissapointed about the loss of a potential market.

Vijay Mallya once wrote (not very long back) about how the prohibition in Gujarat was nothing short of a joke and the state government might as well legalize it.

Back