Storage Solutions Dual Layer DVD Burning issue

Decius

Adept
Hi All

I had ordered National Dual Layer 8.5 gb DVDs from DVDStore which i received today, however, I am having some issues with the DVDs. Can anyone please help me out with these. I have Sony DRU 880S DVD Writer. Whenever I use the Nero Disc Speed Tool to scan the quality of disc I am unable to do so as the "Start" button is greyed out. Please have a look at the attached screenshots.

9uby45.jpg

What could be the issue here?? I dont want to end up with coasters so I am not burning any.

TIA

Can you do it with other disc?
Usually this happens when your writer doesn't supports this feature.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And i don't think that you can check quality of a blank disc, quality is checked after a disc is burned :)

Oops my bad then, but there is another problem when i used the Nero Info too i got a message "Unsupported Disk Type" Please inserted supported disk type :s

Thanks. I tried burning at 2.4x and it failed :( I then tried burning at 4x and finally the burn was successful. Here is the quality scan result (burnt at 4x). I am not sure how good they are. Please have a look

i3flvk.png

ezg1s2.png

So basically are these good DVD DLs or not?

I need them for backing up my data and I'm 10 seconds away from ordering these same DL DVDs from DVDStore.

Yes, initially when i got LG 24X Burner, I had problems burning at 2.4X. But at 4X, it was successful. But success rate was 50%. So got the 22X one. Have burned almost 70-80 DL DVD's using Nero in last one month. Never had an issue where 5 DL-DVD went unsuccessful. But to ensure quality and more success rate, do not run any applications behind.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

RD274 said:
So basically are these good DVD DLs or not?

I need them for backing up my data and I'm 10 seconds away from ordering these same DL DVDs from DVDStore.
Trust me, its really great for backing up movies and other data. Have bought 200 of them and very happy about my back up:eek:hyeah:. Consider 5% as normal loss:(.

Thanks for the suggestions, will be trying ImgBurn now to burn the DL DVDs, although i neva realized 2.4x was not supported till i burnt 2 "Coasters"

avinash4 said:
Trust me, its really great for backing up movies and other data. Have bought 200 of them and very happy about my back up:eek:hyeah:. Consider 5% as normal loss:(.
Ah okay. I just want my data safe :)

So the safest burning speed for these DVDs are 4x?

PS - Which DVD burner?
Mine is an old LG GSA-H42N PATA

Yes, the safest and the maximum speed for burning DL DVD's are 4X. I burn lots of HD movies and Games.

DVD writer is LG GH22NS50 SATA Burner.

RD274 said:
Ah okay. I just want my data safe :)

So the safest burning speed for these DVDs are 4x?

PS - Which DVD burner?
Mine is an old LG GSA-H42N PATA
avinash4 said:
Yes, the safest and the maximum speed for burning DL DVD's are 4X. I burn lots of HD movies and Games.

DVD writer is LG GH22NS50 SATA Burner.
Yes, 4x is the safest speed. One suggestion : if you burn dvds for backup, then apply a plastic label on the dvd (non-writable side), this will act as an protection against damage :)

BTW i have both^
LG GSA-H42N PATA
LG GH22NS50 SATA

That will help when DVDs are kept in a spindle is it?? it shudnt be an issue if DVDs are stored separately in plastic sleeves

@decius, no mate even when dvd's are kept in plastic packets, some black spots appear with due time. Its from my experience, i have lost datas as a result of this, so i apply an extra plastic layer on the dvd :)
Better safe then sorry ;)

@CA50 Thanks. I didnt knew this. I will try to do something similar then.

@Bublez At what speeds are you trying to burn?? have u tried burning it at 4x like everyone has suggested here?? for me 4x did work, I havent burnt a lot of DVDs though, but yeah it did work.

Decius said:
@CA50 Thanks. I didnt knew this. I will try to do something similar then.

@Bublez At what speeds are you trying to burn?? have u tried burning it at 4x like everyone has suggested here?? for me 4x did work, I havent burnt a lot of DVDs though, but yeah it did work.
Yes I tried at 4X too :( All DVDs write to completion. But data verification fails and subsequently cant read them after.

Back