PC Peripherals dvd media recommendation

Eazy said:
THANKS !! for the info... actually I thought ...if the shop has BENQ media then he may have some others too. :)

What is the BEST media you have found in the market currently ?

Sony 8X +R and Maxell 8X -R discs.Easily available @ Lamy.

TechHead said:
Sony 8X +R and Maxell 8X -R discs.Easily available @ Lamy.

The Sony +R 8x media in the market is the D11 Taiwan stuff and I have a pack of 25 of these. Not very good - got a quality score of 93 :( - I understand from CDFreaks that the Sony made in Japan are the ones to get.

I saw some Sony -R 8x Media at Lamington Road is this any good ?

Eazy said:
The Sony +R 8x media in the market is the D11 Taiwan stuff and I have a pack of 25 of these. Not very good - got a quality score of 93 :( - I understand from CDFreaks that the Sony made in Japan are the ones to get.

I saw some Sony -R 8x Media at Lamington Road is this any good ?

Eh. Me got 97-98 QS on those Sony +R discs. Which writer you using? Unless it's a Pio or NEC, stick to +R.

TechHead said:
Eh. Me got 97-98 QS on those Sony +R discs. Which writer you using? Unless it's a Pio or NEC, stick to +R.

Did you get 97-98 with Sony Taiwan media ?

BENQ 1640 BSLB firmware with RPC1 hack.

MBI 8x -R 95
Edgetec 8x -R 95
Sony 8x +R 93
MBI 8x +R 97

I was reading this thread and few questions comes to my mind. I can procure disks from abroad. But I write DVDs sporadically, may be a disk or two in a month. So far, I have used the MBI 8X DVD-R disks. My burner is NEC 3520A. No problems yet.

So, the questions are:

1. Are there some problems with the MBI disks? Why you guys are taking the trouble of importing DVD media? Is it speed? reliability? ...what?

2. Given the fact that I write DVDs rarely, is it worth getting the media from abroad?

Just to clarify things, speed is not a big concern for me (8x is good enough), reliability is. And secondly, consider me a novice in this matter.

TIA.

Count_Down said:
the questions are:

1. Are there some problems with the MBI disks? Why you guys are taking the trouble of importing DVD media? Is it speed? reliability? ...what?

2. Given the fact that I write DVDs rarely, is it worth getting the media from abroad?

According to what I have read there is no short term problem with MBI disks but it seems thay do not last long - do a quality scan today and do another 2 months later and there is a substantial loss in quality. This is with some makes of DVDRs but the Taiyo Yuden are supposed to have a good lasting quality - as I cannot afford/source the TY disks I will just contnue using MBI and keep my fingers crossed.

The current MBI -R media is FujiFilm03 and the +R is made by themselves.

Verbatims were very highly rated but now they seem to be sourcing from MB India and over at CDFreaks people dont seem very happy with the quality of this media.

It seems any DVD Media made in Japan is BEST quality and the Taiwan stuff is next and then MBI.

i am a bit skeptical abt these quality scores....i had burnt 50-60 leaddata dvd-r's on my nec-2510 with a quality score of 88 abt 2 yrs back...that was supposed to be a really bad media, but i still get the same score now..all the data copies fine....so i dont pay much attention to these scores/scans anymore..i still use avg quality media...no princo n likewise crap

Eazy said:
According to what I have read there is no short term problem with MBI disks but it seems thay do not last long - do a quality scan today and do another 2 months later and there is a substantial loss in quality.

So tell me one thing, are DVD R(+/-)s less reliable than CDRs? I have CDs written 5-6 years ago and they still work fine. If DVD medias are experiencing perceptible quality loss in two months time, then should I keep the important stuff on CDs?

And BTW, how to run quality scans? Can they be run on CDs also?

Count_Down said:
So tell me one thing, are DVD R(+/-)s less reliable than CDRs? I have CDs written 5-6 years ago and they still work fine. If DVD medias are experiencing perceptible quality loss in two months time, then should I keep the important stuff on CDs?

And BTW, how to run quality scans? Can they be run on CDs also?

TechHead is the one who can answer the question "are DVD R(+/-)s less reliable than CDRs?" My personal feeling is DVDs are LESS reliable. DVDs seem to get affected with storage under heat and humid conditions - so Mumbai is not a good place to store them :(

The program that gives the media quality scans is the freeware from Nero "CD-DVD Speed" download from... http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ .... It is necessary to understand and interpret the results from this test and I am not yet fully proficient in that. For guidance check out posts in this forum... http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Eazy said:
TechHead is the one who can answer the question "are DVD R(+/-)s less reliable than CDRs?" My personal feeling is DVDs are LESS reliable. DVDs seem to get affected with storage under heat and humid conditions - so Mumbai is not a good place to store them :(

The program that gives the media quality scans is the freeware from Nero "CD-DVD Speed" download from... http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ .... It is necessary to understand and interpret the results from this test and I am not yet fully proficient in that. For guidance check out posts in this forum... http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Oh Boy!!! That's bad news. I just assumed that newer techonology is better and was happily putting the more important stuff on DVDs. Thanks a ton for pointing this out to me.

I'll try these tests on some of my DVDs and will report back.
Thanks again

Back