DVD players

ok lets say i skip the DTS decoding feature and get one of the players, later if i add an amp and stuff will that help in dts decoding cuz thats what i am planning ? let me know. like if i get pioneer 410 and add amp to it. will that help in the future?

jesal said:
ok lets say i skip the DTS decoding feature and get one of the players, later if i add an amp and stuff will that help in dts decoding cuz thats what i am planning ? let me know. like if i get pioneer 410 and add amp to it. will that help in the future?

when plan to get a av receiver or even logitech z5500 then u wont need a players that has onboard DD or sts decoding as long as the dvd players have a coaxial digital audio out or optical digital audio out.so in that case the pioneer DVD 410 will make lot of sense.but if u just happen to by a amp without decoders then u will need a decoder equipped dvd player .

adder said:
when plan to get a av receiver or even logitech z5500 then u wont need a players that has onboard DD or sts decoding as long as the dvd players have a coaxial digital audio out or optical digital audio out.so in that case the pioneer DVD 410 will make lot of sense.but if u just happen to by a amp without decoders then u will need a decoder equipped dvd player .

yes as of now i have a onkyo home theatre which i am using i guess i can use it with that. is the pioneer usb 2.0 as well i guess ill settle for that or if i get a good price for 610 ill get that... guessing the pioneer goes not come with a free cable. im also eyeing the philips 5986 looks good on paper surely.

mr47 said:
buy this eyes closed.. amazing player
Amazon.com: Philips DVP5982 1080p Upscaling DVD Player: Electronics

only drawback is that it doesn't have a DTS/DD decoder which a cheaper model like the DVP642K/69 had.
DVP5986K/98 supports both DD and DTS... sorry, my bad.
Confirm here: DVP5986K/98 - DVD Player with HDMI and USB - Players and recorders - Recorders, DVD and home theater - Philips
I guess now there's no need for picking up anything else.

Now even if ur amp doesnt support DTS/DD decoding this player will do the job. :hap2:

mr47 said:
DVP5986K/98 supports both DD and DTS... sorry, my bad.
Confirm here: DVP5986K/98 - DVD Player with HDMI and USB - Players and recorders - Recorders, DVD and home theater - Philips
I guess now there's no need for picking up anything else.

Now even if ur amp doesnt support DTS/DD decoding this player will do the job. :hap2:

i dont mind the philips if it has the following or even pioneer :

dts decoding

usb 2.0

hdmi and upscaling

i think the 5996 has usb 2 and 5986 has usb1.1 but then 5996 cuts down tons of features too

Pioneer DV-410V-K supports WMV whereas the philips DVP5986K/69 does not.

however Pioneer DV-410V-K specsheet states DTS® 2-Channel Decoding

I'm guessing you will only be able to get 2 channels from DTS over analog cables. Might be able to get 5.1(6 channel) over digital cable, not 100% sure though

forget everything is the pioneer usb 2.0 ill get it. im anyways going to add the amp later so dts i can chuck out. if not pioneer ill get the samsung 1080pk for 4300 with hdmi cable. it only makes sense since it has everything just not the dts which i can use from amp later via optical out.

i went to alfa today, i think they are expensive than the world now it seems. anyways pioneer 410 was for 4600 and the 600 was for 5900 and the 610 was for 6500. the catch with 410 is that it does not have optical sound out. in all the 610 looks kickass but too pricy what to do.

jesal said:
i went to alfa today, i think they are expensive than the world now it seems. anyways pioneer 410 was for 4600 and the 600 was for 5900 and the 610 was for 6500. the catch with 410 is that it does not have optical sound out. in all the 610 looks kickass but too pricy what to do.

well no doubt the DV610 is a kick ass product ,butdont forget the DV610 also plays dvd audio and SACD,its well worth it even if u happen to buy multimedia speakers that doesnt have onboard decoding u can utilize the DV610 and about the missing option of optical out in DV410 most of the av recievers have coaxial input.
BTW the prices u have got are quite good,in showrooms the DV610 cost 12000.

adder said:
well no doubt the DV610 is a kick ass product ,butdont forget the DV610 also plays dvd audio and SACD,its well worth it even if u happen to buy multimedia speakers that doesnt have onboard decoding u can utilize the DV610 and about the missing option of optical out in DV410 most of the av recievers have coaxial input.
BTW the prices u have got are quite good,in showrooms the DV610 cost 12000.

how good is the 610 man it better be damn good. is there any player in all with the following features :

usb 2.0
hdmi output
dvd upscaling
dts decoding
optical out

each and every player is missing one feature very funny. plus i saw in alfa the 410sv does not have optical out. in europe site they dont in pioneer japan site the 410v has optical this is very funny. im so confused.

adder are u from bombay itself. i dont mind getting the dv610 for 6k but where from. what is the diff between the dv410 s , dv410sv and dv410v ?

jesal said:
how good is the 610 man it better be damn good. is there any player in all with the following features :

usb 2.0
hdmi output
dvd upscaling
dts decoding
optical out

each and every player is missing one feature very funny. plus i saw in alfa the 410sv does not have optical out. in europe site they dont in pioneer japan site the 410v has optical this is very funny. im so confused.

adder are u from bombay itself. i dont mind getting the dv610 for 6k but where from. what is the diff between the dv410 s , dv410sv and dv410v ?

no i stay in bangalore,and the DV410V and DV410SV are the same S stands for silver color,the NTSC models like one from japan i believe have optical outs and u know japanese they want the best.i made my friend buy a DV600 and he is one happy person,since he was going to spend about 4.8k for DV410 he taught might as well get the DV600 and at that time DV610 was yet to be available in grey market or showrooms.
and what ever u buy IMO get the black color.

yea even i am thinking if i dont get the 610 then samsung it is only thing im worried about is picture quality. also is the 610 and 410 usb 2.0 compliant please let me know this

jesal said:
yea even i am thinking if i dont get the 610 then samsung it is only thing im worried about is picture quality. also is the 610 and 410 usb 2.0 compliant please let me know this

well DV610 is a great player the samsung video quality is behind sony which in turn is behind pioneer.about whether USB 2.0 or not it doesnt matter since the bandwith available for playing high quality videos is still sufficient in usb 1.1 .best is to ask the pioneer singapore tech support if u realy want to know about whether its 1.1 or 2.0.

The Samsung model you mention is the one I got after comparing with many of the same models you mention.

The Pioneer DV410 is comparably priced - well almost - but its USB functionality is really a pain. If you use your USB for music, then you have to go back, switch it off and then go back for movies. This is what I remember from the demo.

There was no great difference in the picture or audio quality.

With the Samsung, I play a lot of Divx files and everything plays well, its got decent audio and picture quality. I am going to upgrade to an OPPO quite soon, so audio and video are going to improve. But the only thing I should mention is that there is occasional skipping I have noticed on Audio CD's. It does not appear to be CD specific. As otherwise it is a good player.

One other nitpicking fault. If you are one of those who has a lot of MP3 files in folders in a CD or DVD, then check this out. If you play a song in a folder on the Samsung 1080PK, then it will stop after the last song in the folder is played. This is too bad, in my opinion.

Other than this, I think even the remote is the best of the lot amongs the one you compared. The Samsung's remote is in fact leagues ahead of the plastic trash offered by both Philips and Pioneer.

About the DTS decoding, you should not worry about it if you have an AV receiver. If not, you probably should be worried about it.

as of now only reason i havent bought a samsung is people are saying and so are some international reviews that lg and pioneer are better at upscaling and stuff. the video just does not cut it. other than that in future i will hook it up to AV receiver later on not anytime soon...

hmnmn nice thread but i am still confuse...
as of now i will pair it to z5500 so no need of on board DTS and all.
i only need -

USB 2.0
HDMI
Full HD up scaling

i am planning to buy Samsung A5 40" this diwali.... so is there something... like samsung player works nice with Samsung LCD :)

what if i want to make the player future proof......like Blue-Ray then which model ????

avi_avadhut said:
hmnmn nice thread but i am still confuse...
as of now i will pair it to z5500 so no need of on board DTS and all.
i only need -

USB 2.0
HDMI
Full HD up scaling

i am planning to buy Samsung A5 40" this diwali.... so is there something... like samsung player works nice with Samsung LCD :)

what if i want to make the player future proof......like Blue-Ray then which model ????
get the samsung 1080pk model im planning to get the same the pioneer 410 here i cant get with optical out they have one with scart out. makes no sense samsung for 4300 and pio for 4600. if u have budget of 6500 skip all and get the pioneer 610 it kicks ass in every sense.

i just missed Optical out feature.
dont want to get optical out with 2 channel audio only.
so it seems Pioneer 610 is the only choice....
lets see if i get some offer for this model...

Back