Storage Solutions DVD Writer suggestion

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
Long story cut short:
R.I.P Lite-On LH20A1P (3/05/2007 to 06/08/2008) :missyou:

This faithful burner of mine burned well over 250 DVD's.Today suddenly it decides not to read any DVD's at all.Updated it to latest firmware too but no effect.

Advice needed on 2 things:
A.) I'm pretty sure this burner only has a year's warranty.Just want someone to reconfirm this so I can get it RMA'd if it has over a year of warranty.

B.) If it's out of warranty then which is the best SATA writer I can get for now? How is the Samsung SH-203B? I have heard good things about it out here.My main concern is does it still have those tray issues? Does it have loud DVD reading sound? (My Lite-on was like a Sukhoi jet ready to take off)

Need a quick choice as I have already ordered my HD4850 so will order the writer along with it too.:)

Thanks to all in advance.

Any difference between the 'B' & the 'D' model? Should it matter much? The tray issue & the noise problem is my main concern.

I so wanted to try Lite-On again but the one I had was very noisy & wanted to switch for a change.BTW is one year normal for a DVD burner to die? Or should it last longer? :huh:

^^ u have burned 250 DVD's, what more can u expect from it.. I think it should have lasted 1 year more but u stressed it lot..

Yes that's why I don't have much regret that it died.Anyway I have asked Rahul to check for the Samsung DVD writer & will order it tomorrow itself.

muzux2 said:
^^ u have burned 250 DVD's, what more can u expect from it.. I think it should have lasted 1 year more but u stressed it lot..

I burn around 100-130 DVD's in a month and still I have no problems with my writer:eek:hyeah: Its been more than a yr now and its all neat.

Same is the case with my friends dvd writer....he has burnt more than 1500 DVD as even his frieds burn dvds in his house.....he got his writer from US around 18 months back

Yes, I agree with Rohit. Sony DVD writers have some issues with them, especially the newer batch. They abruptly stop working just after the warranty gets over! :eek:

My DVD RAM Drive stopped writing and reading DVDs,a although it still burns CDs and reads them.

DO NOT BUY SONY DVD ROMS.

+1 ^^

My Sony stopped reading just 2 days out of warranty...

Luckily got my dealer to somehow manage the dates...got a replacement.

Get a Samsung or an Asus lightscribe.

Between the SH203B and D I think itÅ› only hte firmware...rest of the specs seem ditto.

THE 22x samsung are really goood and cheap too. liteon are making now poor drivers. u can also try asus .. those are really goood too . the price for it is somewhere around 1300 with lightscribe and samsung for 1100

I had used my DRU 810A for writing more than 600 DVD's

It was an awesome piece.....

but then all good things comes to an end.... so did mine.....

RIP.......... DRU810A

^...One year for a Lite-ON dying after burning ~250 disks is quite low... I think you got unlucky...

Even I want to know if the Samsung's tray problem is gone or not...

The Sorcerer said:
I started seeing the tray problems on my samsung 203-d as soon as I changed my motherboard. Strange- this never happened on my a8n sli.

can u explain wat happens ? so far no reports of tray problems in the 203 series :)

Back