EBook Readers: Need Advice on Kindle

Disciple
People, I'm planning to get a Kindle from the US. If you have answers to any of the questions below, please let me know:

1) Can I upload any kind of PDF onto it, or are there restrictions on format/copyright etc?

2) Is it convenient to read a full page (native PDF format) on the six-inch screen?

3) The Kindle only ships with a US-based USB charger. Will it be difficult to procure the USB charger for Indian voltages?

4) Any thoughts on better ebook readers (mainly to read PDFs)

If you are in it to read pdf's then you should know some things

1) the kindle 2 (or for that matter sony prs or any other) will not be able to render most of the pdf's well. The margin crop allows some increase in screen real estate but that's about it. If the pdf has images and is in double column layout(as most tech journals or scientific journals are), you are going to have a hard time reading anything. (other than shifting left and right) So no, its not convenient at all to read full page pdf's. Perish the thought.

2) You ideally should look at Kindle DX but this is not the best time to buy it. Its prices will come down as soon as ipad is launched.

3) Even though Kindle DX supports reading pdf files natively, (and i have my eyes on buying that too, am fed up with the 6inchers i own) its still not going to solve all issues. eg read what a customer said on amazon.

1) First and foremost, while it is true that it natively reads PDFs, it is really only a PDF *viewer*. You can't change the font size on PDFs, links will not function on them, and the ability to magnify pictures doesn't work on them either. So you better have LARGE fonts on your PDF before you load it. Looking at the PDF in horizontal mode helps a bit, but not by much.

If you have some time on your hand, i suggest you wait for the DX prices to fall. For the kind of reading you want to do, 6incher is just not going to be worth it.

@OP

You can also check the Indian counterpart of Kindle..known as the Infibeam Pi. Not sure how good or bad it is but you can check its details on this site.

I think Gadget Guru show (NDTV Profit) had also reviewed this product. You can search its video on tubaah.com

^^ Its basically a reassembled version. Its certainly cheaper than the rest.

The only thing to be careful about is the display and whether it would last long enough. With Kindle and PRS you know that enough testing has been done and now a level of reliability has been reached(which wasn't the case when Sony launched the PRS for the first time. The PRS 500 was plagued with problems and black bands on screens, mine got one too, luckily it was at the bottom of the viewing area. They have since done a recall of the original 500 model).

With a new device, reliability will be an issue.

Wow, thank you guys! this has been immensely helpful.

Thank you Safin for a super reply - you've addressed the point about PDFs quite decisively. I'll take your advice and either wait for a cheaper 9-inch version, or look for alternatives. And many thanks to Raksrules & Spacecreamer for suggesting alternatives.

This was incredibly prompt. More power to this forum!

I am not contributing positively to this discussion in any way, but wanted to say Thanks for the info presented since I was myself considering purchasing a Kindle and had similar queries.

See the comments below this

A cheaper eslick without the 2GB card. eslick themselves gets it from chinese OEM manufacturer C-Double Tek from Guangdong.

Some of the other clones are iRiver Libre, Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Astak Mentor & C-Double Tek's ve100.

This looks like an iPad competitor, its in another segment than the readers mentioned here.

only detail missing is expected pricing :)

@OP

You can also check the Indian counterpart of Kindle..known as the Infibeam Pi. Not sure how good or bad it is but you can check its details on this site.

I think Gadget Guru show (NDTV Profit) had also reviewed this product. You can search its video on tubaah.com
Don't go for Infibeam's PI. I have one for last two years. When it was working it was okay to read books on it. Now the screen has started dimming to the extent it is unreadable. I have been e-mailing them for a paid repair, for last two months, every time they say that some one will contact me shortly but no one has yet contacted me.

Back