PC Peripherals electric shocks when i touch CM 690 case

Assembled a rig yesterday using a CM690 case and its working fine, except that when i touch metal parts of the case i get mild tingly shocks (i was barefoot when that happened)

Pc connected through a regular spike buster which i plugged into an APC ups.
The spike shows that Live and Ground are reversed.

I am unsure if the shocks are due to something in the case getting grounded or if its a electrical supply problem :(

Motherboard is mounted on a CM690 case using the regular spacers and screws provided on the case.

Can someone please tell me what to do? I dont know where to start troubleshooting :huh:

I have this problem when the GROUND pin on the Spike Guard isn't properly grounded.

Try plugging in the CPU directly in the wall for a few seconds

if ths shocks stop its a problem with the extension/Spike Guard

If the live and earth are reversed, live will be on the case. So from the PCs point of view, there's no irregularity. If earth is connected to earth, the case will be at earth potential.

The outlet or the spike are faulty.

Try plugging the spike and see if it still reads faulty, in which case get a new extension.

If it's the outlet, you need an electrician.

sangram said:
If the live and earth are reversed, live will be on the case. So from the PCs point of view, there's no irregularity. If earth is connected to earth, the case will be at earth potential.

The outlet or the spike are faulty.

Try plugging the spike and see if it still reads faulty, in which case get a new extension.

If it's the outlet, you need an electrician.

Thanks Sangram! Makes sense, i changed the spike and still getting shocks- guess i need to call the electrician and get the grounding fixed :)

Thanks to everyone who replied, that was quick!

Hi ,

Take a Bulb Fit The Damn Thing Into a Holder And Take Two wires Out ,Then Connect One Wire Into the Large Round Hole On the Top of the Point From were You a Leaching Your Bijli .The Put the Second Wire Into the Two Small Round Holes One By One ,If There Is No Light in the bulb You Have a Earth Problem .

Hi ,
Take a Bulb Fit The Dan Thing Into a Holder And Take Two wires Out ,Then Connect One Wire Into the Large Round Hole On the Top of the Point From were You a Leaching Your Bijli .The Put the Second Wire Into the Two Small Round Holes One By One ,If There Is No Light in the bulb You Have a Earth Problem .
Desi Tadka :rofl: nice one!!

hey check u ups if is not clearly 12 v so contact ups service or get new ups

i guess u psu is old or else change the spike some switch

Dude this is a grounding issue, not a cabbie issue. I had a same problem with my Thermaltake Cabbie. I took this cabbie to a rented appt where I temporarily live, they have shoddy grouding and there was leakage current in the cabbie.
I took the cabbie back home, which has proper grounding and the problem gone. Easy way to check is to use a tester (screw driver) and put it directly into the grounding earth connection. If it lights up, that means you have a grounding problem and not a problem with your spike guard or cabbie.

yeh dude check with a tester if it glows means you have grounding issues..:p ...call an electrician n fix it OR get a wire insert it in the earth socket n tie the other end to a water pipe line outta your house :p...this thing works i myself did this in my case with my old rig...and still with new one too...i used to get shocks when i used to touch my cabby CRT screen then metal part of my table....:rofl:....it was fun though when friends used to visit n used to touch anything:tongue:

ragsbava said:
yeh dude check with a tester if it glows means you have grounding issues..:p ...call an electrician n fix it OR get a wire insert it in the earth socket n tie the other end to a water pipe line outta your house :p...this thing works i myself did this in my case with my old rig...and still with new one too...i used to get shocks when i used to touch my cabby CRT screen then metal part of my table....:rofl:....it was fun though when friends used to visit n used to touch anything:tongue:

ATTENTION: The water pipe mod is NOT recommended. Simple reason being, if by accident high current comes into ur system , it will get somewhat grounded by the pipe of course. However, anyone touching the water pipe may get a severe hock :( :no:

Why do you think they make a separate earthing provision?

ragsbava said:

:no: not recommended unless u want to play with your and others life

check for earthing....u wall socket doesnt have earthing...i had gone thru similiar situation two years back ....even my N91 gave me shocks when connected to PC...

it was fun though when friends used to visit n used to touch anything

I hope you have fun when a loved one touches it and dies or is seriously injured. I don't even know why I post around here anymore, with everybody dropping in unsafe and unrecommended advice without a second thought.

ELECTRICITY IS DANGEROUS, GET IN INTO YOUR HEADS!!!!!! DON'T PLAY WITH IT!!! IT'S NOT A GODDAMN TOY!!!!

Looks like no one is listening unless I shout. You can get this forum into serious trouble if someone finds it - do you know this kind of thing can be used as evidence to show recklessness and endangerment? Do you know serious engineering forums would lock down this thread after the first post itself, since mains is NOT meant to be discussed in an open forum, only trained engineers would handle it??

CAN YOU PLEASE EDIT YOUR GODDAMN POST!!!!

This is getting more and more ridiculous. I hope one of you reports this post. I don't mind being banned if this kind of stupidity and carelessness is what Techenclave has come to.

Back