Electronics Spare Parts in India - Repair Mafia?

I've seen people post videos of buying from AE using a VPN. Are these fake videos ?
Using vpn even a kid can access anything but during checkout AE vpn thing doesn't work for India address as shipping to Indian address sis banned! No one is going to order in pakistan and then ship it via border in homeland!
There are few where one can directly chat with seller and get it delivered on case to case basis however in that case too orders have been lost or never delivered so no AE customers protection here..money lost!

So i wanted to repair a wall clock by Seiko. The problem it turns out is I used Duracell batteries. Never use those in a wall clock. Always use non-alkaline batteries in a wall clock. These batteries won't last as long as alkaline but at least won't damage the clock movement.
No alkaline batteries do no harm.
They are of same voltages 1.4v
All AA, AAA, D batteries have same voltages 1.4v except few exceptional cases.
Check these for battery voltages

Ajanta have their own alkaline batteries in their clock. Nothing happens to them. Don't if it's only a label or they manufacture it

And for Duracell batteries.

For all AA and AAA

In general
Well i figured out the problem and approached Seiko for parts. I only wanted the part as i could do the fix myself.
Mostly all watch parts are available locally.
I purchased 2 "quartz" machine for watch and fitting hour, minute, second hands. All for ₹25 × 2 = ₹50.
Not possible. They would only sell me the part so long as I agreed to let them fix it ie. Labour costs on top.

That is the business model.

The other part of it is a proper fix in general, doesn't matter what the equipment, costs less but takes up more time and requires skills.

This is the problem in a nutshelll as far as parts availability goes.
Just avoid those idiots. Only approach when parts are not available. I found almost all hardware parts locally from washing machine, geyser, Atta maker etc etc. From large to small.
But electronics parts are exception.

Skill requirement is everywhere but nowadays YouTube teaches you and internet is there to help. And friend family Circle.. even neighbours who have knowledge may help you sometimes.

Right to repair for every product from small to large,
Right to service is needed in India.

An interesting question. There is a lobby out there that is against second hand sales because they fear it will affect their sales.

How do they prevent second hand stuff from appearing anywhere I wonder.
Second hand, old device goes back to manufacturer from exchanges offers online, cashify like website.
And also from brand's service center "e-waste" management bin.
I've seen people post videos of buying from AE using a VPN. Are these fake videos ?
@rdst_1 has
I think international Visa card needed for that for buying from AE. Don't know if it's shipping in real. Some YouTubers says it's not secure like banggod.
Robu is good but very costly. They sell doubled rate compared to local shops. (lamington road, Mumbai)
Robu and ElectronicsComps are good sites among all available online electronics sites. But the question remain about genuine product and price for 18650 batteries.

I have gone through many online sites forums YouTube videos for finding genuine 18650 Batteries.
Go through these sites
Batterybro.com

Only problem to find genuine 18650 battery because it will last long otherwise it will stop working in 1-2 year.

Robu is costly, and i need 20-30 18650
Samsung 35E, ₹799 × 20 = ₹16000
That's too much.
The next bit is figuring how to get a spot welder. Any ideas ?

There are see cig packet size ones on sale on AE. That's the kind to get. They use 18650 batteries to provide the spark.

Read this https://robu.in/about/

They started it because of the very reasons in the opener.
For spot welder
Follow that guy, he's good.
I prefer soldering.

Yes, cig packs, they are actually Arc Lighter, which are too available locally.
There is also Arc Gas Lighter for Kitchen Gas stove.

I've bought stuff from sellers on Indiamart. Sometimes, in person and sometimes online. A lot depends on what you are buying and who you are buying from. Many wholesalers don't want to deal with small orders, but some do. Just this week, I went to Delhi to procure some pipe fittings from a few sellers I had found on Indiamart. One of the sellers with the best price was unwilling to deal with me because the order was too small. This is when I was outside his shop. Just dealing with an order as small as mine was a waste of his time. I had to buy the same components at nearly 3 times the price from mere 20m from his shop through another seller. That price was still 3 times less than what I was offered in Chandigarh. The power of Indiamart is huge and it allows us to get in touch with even the manufacturers and buy directly if they are willing to.

There needs to be a right to repair movement in India too.
Only recently did normal consumers have been able to get spares for automobiles through manufacturers. I remember service centers refusing to sell parts unless repaired there. It is still a issue to get service/workshop manuals for your cars.

AliExpress was also useful for obscure parts like mouse switches, pc start and reset cables & switches, pci diagnostic cards etc. You could even get difficult to find led bulbs in obscure sizes like ba7s,ba9s etc.

Also these mobile repair guys have inside contacts at service centers where they get parts from old phones, dead boards etc
wont happen, the Indian market is very cost sensitive. As long as it costs more to repair, no one will bother. Modern electronics are designed to be disposable, it also makes them cheaper to produce.
@blr_p
Both Alkaline and regular zinc-chloride batteries will leak. The key is to use them well before the expiry date, never leave them in the device when not in use and never ever let it sit in the clock after it's been depleted. The duracell batteries seem to be more prone to leakage from experience.

if you never want to worry about leakage, use a NiMh rechargeable cell. Avoid the cheap ones (eveready, evon etc), they self discharge too quickly

Last edited:
Back