Energy Saving Mode in AirConditioners

For me, it is AC+FAN rather than AC only. This is because the movement of air (along with lower humidity) is what causes the faster evoparation of sweat (thereby the relaxing feeling) rather than the temperature alone.

stellarhopper said:
i didnt understand what u said abt power rating of fan inside ac...

The fan inside the AC... I was asking about the power consumption for this fan... is it significantly high... I haven't seen the motor but my best guess is that its something like in the coolers which are rated @ ~200watts....

under Energy saving mode the fan also stops after the set temp. is achieved.. while in cooling mode only the fan rotates while the compressor is switched off...

The simple solution is to test it for yourself. Different people have different preferences. Many old people for instance feel that coolers cool much better than ACs. I somewhat agree with it, in the sense that a good sized cooler can cool 3-4 rooms easily. But the quality of cooling one gets with an AC is much better. (again, some people don't like it because it is dry air).

@vebk... I too agree that coolers are much better & cost effective than AC... but they are only effective in a dry climate & they are trouble in a humid climate.... But the use of an AC is also governed by the room you will be using t in... If it gets direct sunlight throughout the day & hot wind is blowing continuously around... So here a cooler will never be able to cool down the room & AC is the only option....

Also I believe that AC & for that matter most AC's will never condition the air like it should.... The air is re-circulated around the room & becomes stale while a cooler throws in natural air from outside provide its also installed in a window or vent which opens outside...

racy1 said:
The fan inside the AC... I was asking about the power consumption for this fan... is it significantly high... I haven't seen the moter but my best guess is that its something like in the coolers which are rated @ ~200watts....
i dont think the ac-fan would consume a lot of power...its not very fast...
cooler fans r very powerful by comparision...

btw..its impossible to use a cooler in mumbai....humidity...

We have been with the fan for quite some time thats the reason you turn on the fan for the feel good factor and good hum that makes you sleep. Fan consumes 70-75 watts. But 1 ton a/c blower consumes 40 watt max. In the Eco mode it may come down to 20 watt. Split or window gives direct cooling to a particular region. If we touch the ceiling even the room temp is 20 C. ceiling is always warm due to the absorbed heat during the day. I tried using fan with a/c immediately the cold air distributed to the whole room causing increase in temp so obviously compressor will run for some more time.
A/c + fan is used only to dehumidify the water content in the air. since humidity causes perspiration and temp is not.
We use 10-12 hrs a day @ 24 C with eco. our bill is 1800 for 2 months.

vijaycool said:
Fan consumes 70-75 watts. But 1 ton a/c blower consumes 40 watt max.

Seems correct from what i've read.

vijaycool said:
In the Eco mode it may come down to 20 watt.
From what was said earlier i'm under the impression the blower will still consume 40W, but its the compressor that will switch off.

vijaycool said:
A/c + fan is used only to dehumidify the water content in the air. since humidity causes perspiration and temp is not.
We use 10-12 hrs a day @ 24 C with eco. our bill is 1800 for 2 months.
Did not follow what you are saying here ?

you use ac+fan at the same time or just ac then its own fan in eco-mode ?

Pls expand more on the eco-mode of your model, have you realised sizeable savings and if so how to achieve it ?

gannu said:
Science apart, an AC @ 28'C does the best job. Low on compressor work, good effieciency all around, low on electric bills as well.

are u all kidding me ? :ashamed: :huh:

i turn on the ac when temps go to ~28-30 :/

ComradE_BeaN said:
are u all kidding me ? :ashamed: :huh:
i turn on the ac when temps go to ~28-30 :/

Lol, different ppl.. Different comfort zones.. Different suited conditions.. :bleh:

All I'd say.. :)

Kumar said:
For me, it is AC+FAN rather than AC only. This is because the movement of air (along with lower humidity) is what causes the faster evoparation of sweat (thereby the relaxing feeling) rather than the temperature alone.

+1 ... dunno about gannu's hot air first down theory and all..

blr_p said:
Seems correct from what i've read.
From what was said earlier i'm under the impression the blower will still consume 40W, but its the compressor that will switch off.
Less power is consumed because the speed is controlled electronically not by resistance. DC fan are highly efficient than ac fan at part load

Did not follow what you are saying here ?

you use ac+fan at the same time or just ac then its own fan in eco-mode ?

Pls expand more on the eco-mode of your model, have you realised sizeable savings and if so how to achieve it ?
In the eco mode fan speed is very slow so you wont get enough air throw that makes you comfortable. what we do here is before turning to eco mode we run at full blast for 30 min then we change to eco mode and the louver is directed on our body. This makes you comfortable at 24-25 C.I can really vouch estrella model is a real gem no need to worry about consumption and moderate silent operation

vijaycool said:
Less power is consumed because the speed is controlled electronically not by resistance. DC fan are highly efficient than ac fan at part load
Why is the fan and (i suppose you are referring to the one in the indoor unit) at part load ?

I thought it's running at full speed as the compressor is off in eco-mode, thats where the 'eco' ie savings are coming from isn't it ?

Also since you have sized your ac to the room, running the fan at a slower speed can't do much work as when its running at its max speed.

Nice discussion :) I too didn't get gannu's theory. The way I understand it, our comfort is decided by two factors - temperature and airflow. Use an a/c to reduce temps, and a fan to aid airflow. Best of both worlds :hap2:

blr_p said:
Why is the fan and (i suppose you are referring to the one in the indoor unit) at part load ?

I thought it's running at full speed as the compressor is off in eco-mode, thats where the 'eco' ie savings are coming from isn't it ?

Also since you have sized your ac to the room, running the fan at a slower speed can't do much work as when its running at its max speed.

I should have used the term A/C blower unit instead of fan

AC+ Ceiling fan or AC alone.
Please carry this experiment.
Measure the room temperature.
1.Turn on the AC with your preferred temperature say 24C. Note the cut-off time.
2. Next day follow the same note the room temp before, then turn on AC with the preset temp 24C + fan and speed of your choice now note the cut-off time.
My assumption is it will take longer time to cool the preset temp. I didnt test it myself at present.

vijaycool said:
I should have used the term A/C blower unit instead of fan

Yes, i was referring to the indoor blower as well :)

I'm still having trouble understanding why this blower is operating at 'part load'.

blr_p said:
Yes, i was referring to the indoor blower as well :)

I'm still having trouble understanding why this blower is operating at 'part load'.
Yes i am talking about the eco-mode which makes the fan blower rotates at a lower speed. It will not switch off when the compressor is off.
for ex: max blower speed is 1200 rpm it takes 40w
at 600 rpm i am not saying it will take 20w but it can be 24w. i am not an electrical engineer
But at ac ceiling fan this doesnot hold true. speed is controlled through resistance. For part load efficiency DC are the best the speed being controlled electronically in case of brushless system. DC ceiling fans are available in USA it takes as low as 10 watts in part load and 70 watt at full load.
PS note: Do not use dimmer to control the speed of the ceiling fan. It will spoil the fan sooner or later.

Lets put this together now shall we

vijaycool said:
In the eco mode fan speed is very slow so you wont get enough air throw that makes you comfortable. what we do here is before turning to eco mode we run at full blast for 30 min then we change to eco mode and the louver is directed on our body. This makes you comfortable at 24-25 C.

vijaycool said:
its Rs 1500 for average 10 hour usage every day.

For how long in those 10 hrs do you use eco-mode ?

vijaycool said:
Yes i am talking about the eco-mode which makes the fan blower rotates at a lower speed. It will not switch off when the compressor is off.
for ex: max blower speed is 1200 rpm it takes 40w
at 600 rpm i am not saying it will take 20w but it can be 24w. i am not an electrical engineer

Why has the blower speed dropped to 600 rpm ?

If the compressor is off during this time isn't 600rpm rather low to provide sufficient cooling.

what i mean is don't you need to run the blower at a higher speed or max speed to get some cooling when the compressor is off.

gannu said:
Both of you're doing the wrong thing. :)

Guess what?!?!? :p

The ceiling fan is such an odd invention that instead of cooling the room, its heating up the air inside. You'd have very well noticed this effect when u switch on a fan during a hot noon. The warm air rises up. :)

However, in case of rooms which're well ventilated[say like a computer cabinet with an inlet and an exhaust window] the effect is not noticed and we sweat and the cooling effect thus produced is a result of perspiration.

Now when u switch on an AC + a fan, the AC produces cooling and the fan aids in heating it up. Very well u dont notice it, thats another thing cos temps're @ 29-30'C all the time. :)

Science apart, an AC @ 28'C does the best job. Low on compressor work, good effieciency all around, low on electric bills as well.

well here is what i think

a ceiling fan has wattage of 60 watts.so when it runs it will consume stated electrical energy , but in the end it will converted into heat engergy only.

let ur assume worst case scenario and let it be 80 watts.so it can be assumed that a ceiling fan running will heat up a room by same margin as a 80 watt bulb.

now according to this thread

http://www.techenclave.com/consumer...-chart-airconditioners-110358.html#post806743

a 1.5 ton ac has a cooling power of about 5200 watts.

so now 80 watts of cooling is going to waste out of 5200 watts. thus i am getting practically 5120 watts.

well i can live with that(1%)

but ceiling fan has got one huge advantage-> it is much more powerful than ac fan , thus keeps whole room on a constant temperature. this gets rid of hot and cold zones in the room.

without ceiling fan we can end up having higher bills as we put thermostat to even lower value than it should as somebody on the remote corner cant feel the cold of ac(due to poor circulation)

thus ceiling fan is good for ac power savings!

by the way a healthy adult gives out heat of bout 160 watts bulb.

thus removing an extra person from room will have much better effect than switching off the ceiling fan :rofl: :rofl:

the heating effect u referring is actually due to ceiling fan pushing hottest air in the room down(hottest air in room is near the ceiling)

but buddy that is a temporary effect.on the whole running a ceiling fan (at the fullest speed) will have advantages which far outdo its disadvantage.

Back