Energy Saving Mode in AirConditioners

blr_p said:
Lets put this together now shall we

For how long in those 10 hrs do you use eco-mode ?
9 hrs

Why has the blower speed dropped to 600 rpm ?

If the compressor is off during this time isn't 600rpm rather low to provide sufficient cooling.
I said this for example. But in eco mode it does decrease the fan speed. It aids only to circulate cold air. Also keeping the high blower speed doesnot mean faster cooling. there is no time for the heat exchange between air and the coil which results in higher grill temperature and lower dehumidification rate.
If i have a watt meter i can show it in details like power consumption and so on. Atlast we use A/C for comfort. In my sister's home they just use it for an hour then they use fan and switch off the A/C. i feel comfortable @25 with eco. In the morning the temp is 28C which is comfortable to get off from the bed.

what i mean is don't you need to run the blower at a higher speed or max speed to get some cooling when the compressor is off.
Blower speed is controlled automatically in the eco mode

blr_p: In bangalore its hot in the day but cool at night. Here in chennai the temperature is beyond bareable. Also the ceiling and walls are heated up and warm current from sea at night further heats the room with high humidity. ceiling fan never helps it actually makes the a/c to run more by supplying more heat from the walls to the fluid (air). Thus taking time to reach preset temp.
The best option is floor standers(pedestal fans)

vijaycool said:
Here in chennai the temperature is beyond bareable. Also the ceiling and walls are heated up and warm current from sea at night further heats the room with high humidity.

That's why i'm amazed that you say you only run the AC for 1 out of the 10 hrs of operation, relying on blower fan for the remainder and yet are still comfortable.

The savings accrued there is incredible, if you consider a 1T estrella consumes 1128 watts/hour. Now for 10 hrs your power consumption is only 1128 + 40*9 or say only 1.5 units!!!

vs if you had to run the AC for the 10 hrs giving you a bill of 11+ units and thats just per day !!

So your monthly consumption is 1.5*30 = 45 @Rs 5 per unit which gives you Rs.225-250 monthly ac power cost, which as it turns out is exactly what you said earlier :)

vijaycool said:
In chennai.
Before purchasing A/C : Rs 800 - 1000 for 2 months
Now : 1400 - 1800 for 2 months. Rs 1800 touched only once most of the time its Rs 1500 for average 10 hour usage every day. Average Rs 250 for every month which is cheaper than dish tv at Rs 350 pm

So the question is, why can't any AC also give you the same savings savings, if it (like the Estrella) also has a fan only mode ?

blr_p said:
That's why i'm amazed that you say you only run the AC for 1 out of the 10 hrs of operation, relying on blower fan for the remainder and yet are still comfortable.

The savings accrued there is incredible, if you consider a 1T estrella consumes 1128 watts/hour. Now for 10 hrs your power consumption is only 1128 + 40*9 or say only 1.5 units!!!

vs if you had to run the AC for the 10 hrs giving you a bill of 11+ units and thats just per day !!

So your monthly consumption is 1.5*30 = 45 @Rs 5 per unit which gives you Rs.225-250 monthly ac power cost, which as it turns out is exactly what you said earlier :)

So the question is, why can't any AC also give you the same savings savings, if it (like the Estrella) also has a fan only mode ?

Oh no you got me wrong. Eco mode is similar to Kaimen mode in samsung its deep sleep mode or night mode. The A/c will work but as the hour progresses the temp will raise by 1C. Chennai to say electricity is cheap and also it depends on slab and units consumed (not sure starts with 75p till Rs3). Next time i will try to post our bill.

I am not running fan in eco mode(sleep mode) the fan speed can not be controlled.

1124 is including blower. I am not sure it will drain the full 1.1KW whenever the A/C runs. In the 10 hours say compressor will run for 5-6 hrs. In a month 30*5.5 = 165 units and we are paying in the range of 1.75 to Rs2.5 (I am not sure of the tariff's)so it comes close to Rs300-400.

I have realised the mistake some where i have mentioned running cost is Rs200 pm . my apologies

vijaycool said:
Oh no you got me wrong.

Very much so :ashamed:

So if you start at 25 degrees set temp, when does eco mode stop upping the temp ?

Looking at the brochure, claims a savings of 25% with eco mode.

Do you agree with that ?

blr_p said:
Very much so :ashamed:

So if you start at 25 degrees set temp, when does eco mode stop upping the temp ?

Looking at the brochure, claims a savings of 25% with eco mode.

Do you agree with that ?

Perhaps by 2degree in first 4 hours. so the compressor load is cutoff in bringing down that extra degree. hence savings on the power as compared to fixed temp

main_trouble said:
well here is what i think

a ceiling fan has wattage of 60 watts.so when it runs it will consume stated electrical energy , but in the end it will converted into heat engergy only.
let ur assume worst case scenario and let it be 80 watts.so it can be assumed that a ceiling fan running will heat up a room by same margin as a 80 watt bulb.

now according to this thread
http://www.techenclave.com/consumer...-chart-airconditioners-110358.html#post806743

a 1.5 ton ac has a cooling power of about 5200 watts.

so now 80 watts of cooling is going to waste out of 5200 watts. thus i am getting practically 5120 watts.

well i can live with that(1%)

but ceiling fan has got one huge advantage-> it is much more powerful than ac fan , thus keeps whole room on a constant temperature. this gets rid of hot and cold zones in the room.

without ceiling fan we can end up having higher bills as we put thermostat to even lower value than it should as somebody on the remote corner cant feel the cold of ac(due to poor circulation)

thus ceiling fan is good for ac power savings!

by the way a healthy adult gives out heat of bout 160 watts bulb.
thus removing an extra person from room will have much better effect than switching off the ceiling fan :rofl: :rofl:

the heating effect u referring is actually due to ceiling fan pushing hottest air in the room down(hottest air in room is near the ceiling)

but buddy that is a temporary effect.on the whole running a ceiling fan (at the fullest speed) will have advantages which far outdo its disadvantage.
lol....u sure have messed up sum things up there...
u cant jus add an subtract watts like that...

and are u sayind a fan gets as hot as an 80w bulb!!....try touching both after usin them for 1 hour...ull be able to touch the fan....

ill explain...
suppose fan consumes 80w of ELECTRICTY....
this electricity is being converted to kinetic/wind energy as well as some amount of heating.

in a bulb...all u get is ohmic heating...
the light is just a by-product!!

so HEATING effect (which we are concerned with here, as opposed to electrical power concumption) of fan is much lesser!

similar considerations with the A/C...which is an even more complex system...
so u cant subtract 80 watts 'worth' of heat from electrical power consumption...

Back