English TV series discussion

My 2 cents on the whole sex and gore portrayal in GoT. While I totally love the show for its ballsy approach towards sex and violence, there have been a couple of instances where they have gone overboard. One particular scene I recall is the steamy lesbian sex scene of the prostitutes with Littlefinger urging them on and giving them tips in season 1. This was not a part of the book and I really didn't think it served much purpose other than showing us how devious Lord Baelish can really be.

Even then, I do not have a problem with it as I feel that this is what mainly differentiates ASOIAF and GoT from other fantasy fiction classics and they shouldn't really skimp out on that. If people have a problem with it and want to start moral policing on how brains were splattered or how much pubic hair was displayed, they can simply choose not to watch the remainder of the series.

Btw, I'm currently half way through A Feast for Crows and I can easily say that as epic as the TV series is, it is absolutely no match for the grandeur and scale of the books.
Here, read this:
Well, the entire monologue of Littlefinger was a clever metaphor about he's gonna eliminate Ned from the game of thrones. Her, let me break it down for you(with a little paraphrasing):
"They(Ned) know what you are. They know it’s all just an act(that you're still deceiving them). Your job is to make them forget what they know(That even though Ned knows he is untrustworthy, Peter stills win him over). And that takes time(patience). You need to ease into it(planning)."

He’s winning you over in spite of yourself. You’re starting to like this. He wants to believe you.
He’s so good, he’s reaching something deep inside of you that no one even knew was there. Overcoming your very nature. (This is abundantly clear reference to Ned).

A stupid saying. What we don’t know is usually what gets us killed(Now, many show-viewers are still oblivious of the fact that Littlefinger triggered Joffrey into beheading Ned Stark).

And then chatters about his duel with Brandon Stark, and how he fails to defeat him.(He can't defeat Ned in fight).

I’m not going to fight them. I’m going to **** them(kill Ned using his politics) . That’s what I know. That’s what I am. And only by admitting what we are can we get what we want.

Go, watch that scene again now, keeping in mind that he's referring Ned all the time. It's a pretty brilliant scene.
BTW, I'm midway through A Clash of Kings and up-to-date with the show. So, if you reply to this post, don't spoil any future event for me.

Here, read this:
Well, the entire monologue of Littlefinger was a clever metaphor about he's gonna eliminate Ned from the game of thrones. Her, let me break it down for you(with a little paraphrasing):
"They(Ned) know what you are. They know it’s all just an act(that you're still deceiving them). Your job is to make them forget what they know(That even though Ned knows he is untrustworthy, Peter stills win him over). And that takes time(patience). You need to ease into it(planning)."

He’s winning you over in spite of yourself. You’re starting to like this. He wants to believe you.
He’s so good, he’s reaching something deep inside of you that no one even knew was there. Overcoming your very nature. (This is abundantly clear reference to Ned).

A stupid saying. What we don’t know is usually what gets us killed(Now, many show-viewers are still oblivious of the fact that Littlefinger triggered Joffrey into beheading Ned Stark).

And then chatters about his duel with Brandon Stark, and how he fails to defeat him.(He can't defeat Ned in fight).

I’m not going to fight them. I’m going to **** them(kill Ned using his politics) . That’s what I know. That’s what I am. And only by admitting what we are can we get what we want.

Go, watch that scene again now, keeping in mind that he's referring Ned all the time. It's a pretty brilliant scene.
BTW, I'm midway through A Clash of Kings and up-to-date with the show. So, if you reply to this post, don't spoil any future event for me.

Thanks for that explanation. Btw, I'm still unclear about the intention of LittleFinger overall. Could you throw some light on that since you are reading the novels ? I haven't read the novels but up to date till the latest episode.
Why did LittleFinger betray Ned ?

Started with Fringe and done with first 2 episodes. The pilot is like 1.5 Hrs long.
Some visuals are gross :yuck:
The series seems Okiesh, lets see if it gets better later. Anyways one should not judge by just couple of episodes.

Next episode is written by GRRM himself, will be awesome.
He does it as a duty, just to be involved and not let the network run haywire with it. He made his contract in such as way(1 episode per season written by him) as he had decades of experience with Hollywood and knew the only way to not let the network ruin a series is for the creator to be involved. Usually, the episodes he chooses to write for require very high budget and he tries to fit in the story while still keeping it economical.

Started with Fringe and done with first 2 episodes. The pilot is like 1.5 Hrs long.
Some visuals are gross :yuck:
The series seems Okiesh, lets see if it gets better later. Anyways one should not judge by just couple of episodes.
Fringe fans will tell you jump to second season for better story ands acting by the lead actress. ;)

Why did LittleFinger betray Ned ?
By killing Ned, he moves a step closer to the throne. That's all that matters to him..the iron throne.
Also, Ned made it abundantly clear that he won't be playing any of the dirty game of politics(making him useless for Littlefinger) in Kings Landing. Basically, Ned was a useless, but at the same time a dangerous piece on the board of chess for Littlefinger.

But killing Ned, he moves a step closer to the throne. That's all that matters to him..the iron throne.
Also, Ned made it abundantly clear that he will not play the dirty game of politics in Kings Landing. Basically, Ned was a pretty useless(since Littlefinger can't use him in his dirty politics anymore), but at the same time a dangerous piece on the board of chess for Littlefinger.

You've got it partially wrong, LF's end game isn't just the Iron Throne, there's more to it than meets the eye. He is one of the best player in the series, but his intentions aren't clear as of yet; just wants to climb the ladder, revenge for being shunned from the Tullys as a child, vengeance for being defeated by Brandon Stark, or something else entirely? Even in TDWD it isn't made clear what he really wants, he just keeps playing around with Sansa, whether as a daughter, or replacement to Catelyn or some other form of creepy fantasy.

I believe the first chapter that Sansa has in the next book will lay a foundation for what his character really wants (the chapter is said to be very controversial according to those who've read it). He keeps all his pieces close to his chest and doesn't reveal them until they're to be removed from the game entirely. [/spolier]

By killing Ned, he moves a step closer to the throne. That's all that matters to him..the iron throne.
Also, Ned made it abundantly clear that he won't be playing any of the dirty game of politics(rending himself useless for Littlefinger) in Kings Landing. Basically, Ned was a useless, but at the same time a dangerous piece on the board of chess for Littlefinger.
Okay. Although still it seems LittleFinger is not powerful enough for that. He should know that even if he gets what he wants, he won't probably able to hold on to it for a longer time - he's not capable enough.

Okay. Although still it seems LittleFinger is not powerful enough for that. He should know that even if he gets what he wants, he won't probably able to hold on to it for a longer time - he's not capable enough.
He'll be powerful now. He is going to be Lord of the Eyrie. Climbing the ladder one step at a time.

@blkrb0t :
One thing that really bugs me is why Tywin is making Littlefinger Lord of the Eyrie? Tywin, being a talented tactacian should know that Littlefinger is one of the most dangerous person in Westeros. Giving him Eyrie, and making him more dangerous seems a really out-of-character decision from Tywin end.

Last edited by a moderator:
@XTechManiac Don't read my previous comment then, major spoiler from the 5th book, and maybe some from even the unreleased 6th book. I'll include the book too in future. I hope I didn't spoil anything, you can read the spoiler below in this comment, nothing beyond 2nd book.

If you've read till ACoK, then you're pretty sure that Tywin has taken up position as hand of the king and left the war in Riverlands to his other forces. His major contention now is to secure the Iron Throne for his grandson. Stannis is defeated, Robb remains to be done, and the rebelling Iron Islands. The Tyrells are sealed with marriage, and Dorne has no need to jump up. He sends LF to become the lord** (a playing lord in reality) of Eyrie so that he can control the east, and hence lay a siege to Riverrun and the Neck when needed, and he already controls the west and the south. His future plans also include securing the North, and then the war would be all done. He is a pragmatic man, he doesn't see LF as harmful, just another piece which he's playing. After all LF was faithful to the Lannisters all this years, even during Ned's capture and then helped secure the Tyrell alliance. He is seen as a Lannister man for now.

**He is just sent to marry Lysa, he won't become the Lord of Eyrie. Lysa's child Robert is the lord, LF can only hope to be the warden of the east and protector of Vale (and only by making Lysa agree). LF is the lord of Harrenhall already, you cannot be the lord in two places at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boston Legal complete. The last season is bit forced but nevertheless it is still entertaining. I wish the show would have continued.
Lots of breaking the 4th wall moments in this show and they have been embedded very cleverly so it never feels forced. Denny Crane and Alan Shore as expected are the most loved and central characters.
I have to admit i was reluctant to start watching this show because of the presumption i had before that it will be court room drama but still started with little expectations.
I was very happy i saw it.
Absolutely recommended TV series. And it is completely over so one can watch without having to wait for next season.

Will be starting with Fringe today evening. 100 episodes for this too.

Btw was per episode calendar... "You have spent about 1 month, 20 days and 1 hour watching TV shows." :)

If you are a true fan of law based shows, nothing beats 'The Practice' and in fact Boston Legal is kind of the non serious version of the Practice, Alan Shore - James Spader does a splendid job in the last season of 'The Practice'. Please do check it out, if you haven't already.

Have a question regarding Fringe.
It's in spoilers below. If the answer is a spoiler too just don't answer it

In each episode in between they show small visuals that look like X-ray of things like half apple, hand, frog etc.
What is its significance ?

This is by far the best explanation!:woot:

You've got it partially wrong, LF's end game isn't just the Iron Throne, there's more to it than meets the eye. He is one of the best player in the series, but his intentions aren't clear as of yet; just wants to climb the ladder, revenge for being shunned from the Tullys as a child, vengeance for being defeated by Brandon Stark, or something else entirely? Even in TDWD it isn't made clear what he really wants, he just keeps playing around with Sansa, whether as a daughter, or replacement to Catelyn or some other form of creepy fantasy.

I believe the first chapter that Sansa has in the next book will lay a foundation for what his character really wants (the chapter is said to be very controversial according to those who've read it). He keeps all his pieces close to his chest and doesn't reveal them until they're to be removed from the game entirely.

I have watched the walking dead season 1. I found it okeyish. But looks like the show has picked up.
Can I skip season 2 and start the third one :D ? I've just way too many backlogs.

I have watched the walking dead season 1. I found it okeyish. But looks like the show has picked up.
Can I skip season 2 and start the third one :D ? I've just way too many backlogs.
If you skip the second season, then you'll be wondering where a few of the characters disappeared and who the new characters are. Some of the characters introduced in season 2 are one of the major characters is TWD, even though season 2 isn't that enjoyable to watch.

Back