English TV series discussion

I second Santa Clarita Diet. Drew Barrymore is a bit 'old' (too much plastic surgery) but still pretty good and Olyphant has his unique style of comedy.

Light and fun comedy, but quite a few F-bombs in there, thanks to netflix !

saw westworld and found the show a bit stupid. storylines have no purpose and many plotholes.[DOUBLEPOST=1486987063][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone suggest me some good comedies to watch. Just got over with last man on earth and love the show. Have also liked brooklyn nine nine, vice principals was okay too, bojack horseman was funny. did not find silicon valley funny much.

saw westworld and found the show a bit stupid. storylines have no purpose and many plotholes.[DOUBLEPOST=1486987063][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone suggest me some good comedies to watch. Just got over with last man on earth and love the show. Have also liked brooklyn nine nine, vice principals was okay too, bojack horseman was funny. did not find silicon valley funny much.

Chidiya Ghar, Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, Comedy Nights Bachao, Bhabhi Ji Ghar Par Hai and The Kapil Sharma show should be right up your alley.

o_O

You need help. Professional ones if possible.

:meh:

There's been a misunderstanding, his comment was directed at me.
I shouldn't have been sarcastic about my recommendations based on his taste but that was the first time I heard someone say that Silicon Valley isn't funny/Westworld was stupid so I couldn't help myself, his Anil Kapoor avatar didn't help much either :p
Every few months I end up reminding people "to each his own" in this thread, guess I forgot it myself this time.

^^^ Yes...I understand the dislike about Westworld (it defiantly not stupid) but Silicon Valley is epic in fun segment.. It got same kinda attraction as once TBBT got like first couple of seasons.

some of the things i did not like about westworld
1. Facility gets in lockdown yet the lifts conveniently work
2. Android did not realise he hasnt been aging in decades and looks the same.
3. Why will the asian guy even help that android. he can just inform anthony hopkins about it.
4. How do you know the other person is a human and not a droid before you shoot/stab them, there should be tonnes of dead people as there is no way of knowing whos a human and who's not.
5. A million dollar company will give admin access rights to some repairmen who reprogram them without anthony hopkins knowing.

all this was not explained in the tv show and makes it look silly in season 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
As with any Nolan sibling production, it will always look lame when taken literally because it's hard to tackle subjects like consciousness and the metaphysical, it's always the deeper symbolic and metaphorical message that is conveyed indirectly that makes their creations so special.
For e.g., Inception might look like a simple, straightforward sci-fi flick which might appear lame at times but it tackles some bigger questions about the nature of reality and how memories and emotions work.
That Interstellar scene in the end when he passes the event horizon and transcends into what looks like the higher dimensions of space and time where no separation exists aka singluarity or unity consciousness, he ends up discovering that the one sending messages to him his entire life was no one but himself.

As for Westworld, they again draw parallells between that world and our own. What if we are already pefect beings who are bored of reality and therefore enmesh ourselves in illusory worlds with no real consequences just as a form of entertainment or for personal growth and development under forced limitations.
You might say that maybe I am reading too much into what are simple sci-fi plots but if you follow the conversations in the movies/show closely, that's exactly their intention.
What you did mention are just small problems that need to be overlooked because that isn't the point of the show at all, if you're constantly being pedantic you won't enjoy any of their works ever.

^ You do know some of what you have posted are considered spoilers and need to be under spoiler tags?
nothing is spoiled by reading those. very generic stuff and to someone who has not seen the show it will not spoil any suspense. others have also posted so called spoilers here about intersteller.

Back