English TV series discussion

You are reading too much into what are simple sci-fi plots...

Well you either weren't paying attention or the movies went over your head cause there's dialogs in the movie/show itself that hints at what I said, it wasn't even that far-fetched.
I think we've gone enough OT on this thread, no point arguing over personal tastes and perceptions.

Everyone should watch Dark City before watching Westworld.

Is sentience and conscience merely a sum total of our memories? Which makes humans little different than machines themselves, just ones operating on even more intricate pre-programmed reactions.
We don't actually feel, it's just an exquisitely engineered release of the appropriate chemicals. And morality may as well be our Three Laws.

It's not about whether the AI eventually realize they're not human, but what exactly is human.
And if you are thinking why they don't realize something is wrong when they don't age or have bowel movements, then you've missed the point.

o7Zbd1E.gif

The narration was forced by studio because bunch of suits thought it would make movie more complicated for audience. On the related note, The Matrix's original draft had humans being used as processors instead of batteries. That idea was also scrapped by studio in favour of violation of laws of thermodynamics.

Everyone should watch Dark City before watching Westworld.

Alex Proyas' best work to date. Loved the movie when I saw it first time and still love it after umpteen watches!

Westworld started off slow but became pretty epic by the end and raised all sorts of existential questions rarely raised on modern, primetime tv.

Omg, i remember watching that one way back. It was funny in bits but overall a disaster.

I aint getting good vibes for brown either...

^ From what I have watched:
Taboo - Its kinda meh. Tom Hardy takes his grunting and slurring of words to the new level. Some of the actors are really hammy. A lot of time is wasted to get in the transition shots by showing Hardy walking/riding A to B. And there are times he goes somewhere, spends a minute doing nothing and then returns. Makes a lot of scenes feel like fillers. Still give one episode a try to see if it suits your taste.

Sneaky Pete - Even though Giovanni Ribisi's con man isn't exactly a charming one, it is still a very good show.

The Legion - Really good but its as confusing as something written by Nolan brothers. But its 2 episodes in so need to see more to give a verdict.

Others like Young Pope, Lemory Snicket and the Young Pope, have heard only good things about them.

Last edited:
Watched Black Mirror episode 1 after seeing lot of recommendations here. Man, that was disgusting, disturbing and darkly comic in a twisted sort of way. Also some social commentary as well about human nature and technology impact.
Has me intrigued so will continue watching. Is there a common thread that binds the stories? I don't wanna read about it lest I dilute the shock value (ep 1 really delivered on that count).

Watched Black Mirror episode 1 after seeing lot of recommendations here. Man, that was disgusting, disturbing and darkly comic in a twisted sort of way. Also some social commentary as well about human nature and technology impact.
Has me intrigued so will continue watching. Is there a common thread that binds the stories? I don't wanna read about it lest I dilute the shock value (ep 1 really delivered on that count).
All that you said, you probably already knew before beginning?
Only common thread is that its dark. Completely different actors, story, concept each ep.

Of course there's a common thread. Futuristic dystopia almost. Actually it's about how tech and innovation can have negative repercussions. Pretty sure every single episode in all three seasons share this.

Of course there's a common thread. Futuristic dystopia almost. Actually it's about how tech and innovation can have negative repercussions. Pretty sure every single episode in all three seasons share this.
Ok. I was intrigued by the first episode. Will surely continue to watch. And I started this just after finishing Mr robot S1. I'll surely need something light-hearted now.

One thing about black mirror is that all the episodes are phenomenally high quality writing. Perhaps the only ones i liked slightly less were white bear and men against fire. Shut up and dance was kinda predictable with a dumb twist. San Junipero had a very different feel and vibe, probably also because it's set in a different time(s).[DOUBLEPOST=1488259027][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone seen APB?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back