English TV series discussion

Re: Please suggest an english TV series

Ethan_Hunt said:
Dam right it is. I wish Godric's character should have been given more time to develop, rather than abruptly ending it. He had an interesting personality & somewhat mysterious like Eric's.

I guess it was for the best. To me he was just not suitable for the role. He was supposed to be the oldest and the most powerful vampire and yet he looked like a 16 year old kid. I know he was turned at a young age but somehow he just didn't seem very intense to me. Everybody feared him and that to me just didn't look believable. Although he did have an abrupt end, it would have been more cooler if he would have sacrificed himself in order to protect Eric or the humans.

My biggest problem on the show is Tara and Jason (at times). Tara easily pisses me off & I feel like whacking her down with a 2x4. Jason's role in the first season was pretty unimportant. Some of his scenes with Amy, like hallucinating after taking 'V' should have been chopped off. Total waste of time IMO.

I agree, Tara was annoying right from the very first episode. The scenes with her and her drunken ass mother were the least interesting ones. I hope someone cuts her heart out in the next episode. :p And yes, Jason hallucinating on V could have been avoided although the part where they kidnap the vampire was necessary.

chiron said:
^^ Yeah, the newest episode was filled with terrible one liners and dialogues but still totally fun to watch, or rather that made it fun.

Lafayette is pretty awesome and needs to get more screen time.

Agreed, also jessica needs to be given a more important part in the show. She is hot and acts well.

Did anyone else notice that people were acting like zombies on crack. I mean sure maryann is controlling them but why have they all turned dumb all of a sudden? :S

Bluffmaster said:
Did anyone else notice that people were acting like zombies on crack. I mean sure maryann is controlling them but why have they all turned dumb all of a sudden? :S
Some of them ARE dumb, to be honest. It's caused by a heightened state of ecstasy. It's like going crazy after having non-stop tequila rounds. ;)

I wouldn't contest your opinions :p but I thought that the crazy townsfolk were the second best thing after lafayette humping the sofa, in this season.

stalker said:
Read a few reviews on metacritics and am now grabbing Six Feet Under + Mad Men.

Any TE reviews for the same ?

I'd recommend ,
MaD MeN -Its a Good Show ,Just watched the S0302 Episode.
Its one the Good Drama shows out there,there wont be any thrill and excite like PB or Lost,however it has its own charm of that 60's look ,feel,language and Advertising thingy.
DoN Draper is one helluva a Character.

The other ones you can also watch are
Breaking BaD
CarNivale,RoMe -Both Just 2 seasons CarNivale is kinda slow,you need a lot of patience and time :bleh:
however RoMe is great,one of the best HBO Originals :hap2:

It took me atleast 5 sittings to complete the first episode of carnival. I never touched it after that, is it worth the effort? And what about Rome? Is it also slow or does it have some fast paced action?

Bluffmaster said:
It took me atleast 5 sittings to complete the first episode of carnival. I never touched it after that, is it worth the effort?

i don't think so. it was the same for me... so painful to watch, yet i kept going on and on expecting things to get better. well, i finished the first season and it didn't happen. started the second season, again expecting it to get better, but after about 2 episodes i thought, f*ck this, the show isn't going to change.

not worth your time, especially if you couldn't stand the pilot. they're all like that.

Well same thing happened to me when i first started watching LOST. Took me three weeks to compltete two episodes. And then one week to complete three season.

Well, I am onto episode 19 of season 1 of LOST, and I would like to change my opinion, I think its getting pretty interesting, but still doesnt come close to PB season 1 in terms of addiction or thorough entertainment/coolness factor of Entourage, but most definitely getting grippier by each episode.

PS - really like the characters of Hurley, Lock and Sawyer!

Switch said:
Well same thing happened to me when i first started watching LOST. Took me three weeks to compltete two episodes. And then one week to complete three season.

yea but in my case, i watched more than half of the entire series. carnivale only had 2 seasons, about 24 episodes and i watched 14 or so. i think that's enough time to realize that i won't like it ;)

Jasku said:
Well, I am onto episode 19 of season 1 of LOST, and I would like to change my opinion, I think its getting pretty interesting, but still doesnt come close to PB season 1 in terms of addiction or thorough entertainment/coolness factor of Entourage, but most definitely getting grippier by each episode.

don't get your hopes up. season one was decent, and the writers hadn't started jerking around the viewers yet. get to season 3 and you'll find completing it is a challenge.

Jasku said:

Unlike spindoctor , I would say that it only gets interesting from here. I also agree thats it doesn't come close to PB's first season, but the thing with LOST is that the story is very closely knit and the writers have stuck to one story line in each continuing season. There are a few dull episodes in between but with each passing season the addiction gets higher unlike PB which after the first 2 seasons died. Unlike most TV shows that change tracks between seasons and there is a hardly any connection from where the story picked off to where it progressed, LOST with every progressing season unravels the mysteries that were spun off in earlier seasons.

My initial reaction after watching the first part of Season 3 (book reading session at dorms) was like OMFG !@#$% !! Totally awesome

i've seen a huge difference in opinions between people who watch entire seasons of lost together and people like me who have been following the show on a weekly basis ever since it came out. i imagine there must be some shred of continuity and story when you watch episodes back to back. that is missing when you watch one season spread out over 6 months and then wait for the next year for another season. thankfully it's ending this year. i've never seen a tv show pull off the emperor's new clothes quite as well as lost has.

don't get your hopes up. season one was decent, and the writers hadn't started jerking around the viewers yet. get to season 3 and you'll find completing it is a challenge.

I beg to differ. For me, the experience only got better as I got more and more immersed in the LOST universe. Infact, if I look back at it now, I feel season one was just to warm up viewers for what lies ahead. The real story of LOST begins from season 2 onwards. This is one show where even after 5 years we still don't know how its all going to end. This is one show where you do not feel cheated and it really pays off for sticking with it.

Tell me how many shows have you seen where come 5th season references are being made to season 1. How many shows have you watched where after watching the 5th season your total viewpoint of looking at the very first season will completely change. Thats the beauty of LOST and for that I really admire it.

spindoctor said:
i've seen a huge difference in opinions between people who watch entire seasons of lost together and people like me who have been following the show on a weekly basis ever since it came out. i imagine there must be some shred of continuity and story when you watch episodes back to back. that is missing when you watch one season spread out over 6 months and then wait for the next year for another season. thankfully it's ending this year. i've never seen a tv show pull off the emperor's new clothes quite as well as lost has.
Well, thats the case with every other good thriller show out there. Be it Prison Break, Dexter or LOST. This has to do with the genre and not the show itself. This is not a problem when watching shows like Entourage, House or any other sitcom for that matter simply because their genre is quite different to the likes of LOST, PB etc. Besides, if anyone is just starting to watch any of the above mentioned shows, it gives them the liberty to watch them all at once, hence a better experience.

spindoctor said:

Agreed on that. Even according to my observation , TV shows seem to be more interesting when watched back to back and not just for thriller shows like PB or LOST but with shows of other genres like HIMYM , TTBT, THM as well.
I guess its because when we watch back to back episodes, even a couple of dull episodes are easy to get over after watching a good one unlike when watching it on air where you have to wait for a week or two which leaves a bad taste

Compared to PB, Heroes, Dexter etc, I've found Lost to be the least interesting because there story is too confusing and in my opinion very contrived.

^Your post lost all credibility when you compared LOST with Heroes. Heroes has to be the most over-rated and over-hyped show there is, a show which changes its plot according to the TRP. From my experience, a casual TV viewer will probably dislike LOST because of its complexity but if you stick with it, its a highly rewarding show. And I don't think that LOST is even in the same genre as PB, Dexter or Heroes, IMO its much more then just another thriller show.

Back