English TV series discussion

Re: Please suggest an english TV series

^^ while I felt the finale to be a drag, the series is very good, especially the first 3 seasons. Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High are really good, wholesome entertainers.

six feet under is awesome. it's from alan ball, the creator of american beauty and true blood and it's better than both of them. it's a really good drama that gets corny in season 4 but it's still worth watching. the series finale episode is hands down the best piece of television i have ever seen, and i've seen quite a lot. of course, that's right at the end but i definitely recommend the show.

I have started watching Six feet under, I am halfway season 2 and the show is good, no doubt. But its some depressing sh1t. Sometimes the episode gets balanced with some good humor but other times it just becomes plain boring. I guess its not one of those shows which you can watch in a stretch. Imagine I was eating my dinner when a scene comes up of rico cutting up a baby. It made me lose my appetite.

Bluffmaster said:
I have started watching Six feet under, I am halfway season 2 and the show is good, no doubt. But its some depressing sh1t. Sometimes the episode gets balanced with some good humor but other times it just becomes plain boring. I guess its not one of those shows which you can watch in a stretch. Imagine I was eating my dinner when a scene comes up of rico cutting up a baby. It made me lose my appetite.

it's a dark show. not a conventional drama by any definition. alan ball is known for writing really weird shit ;). it explores life and death through the eyes of this totally messed up family. considering that death is the motif of the entire series, it's not surprising that things can get a little weird or surreal sometimes. btw i wasn't kidding about season 4... it really does get ****ed up there. still, keep going through it. at some point it will strike you that the show is more than the sum of it's parts.

Better Off Ted is great. Probably the best comedy series at the moment. It is sort of like TBBT + Office Space.

Well I have been away for some time, completed watching Entourage till last week's, it has become my no.1 show, seriously guys, if you havent seen it yet, your wasting time, do check out, its a pretty cool show!

Also upto date with Burn Notice, nice smart action packed show, with tons of pointers for aspiring spies :)

Started LOST now, into episode 7, but it seems really slow, and not totally hooked to it so to speak..

Pls suggest some more interesting shows (comedy/drama)

wow this thread was stuck near the bottom of page 4. did people suddenly stop watching stuff? :bleh:

the reason i'm posting is because i've been watching this show called 'six degrees' and it's actually pretty good. the show is generally based on the concept of six degrees of separation. it's about the lives of a few people who don't all know each other, yet they still influence each other. the show explores the joys and sorrows of their lives, the secrets they hide and how everyone in the world is looking for something, how everyone is just trying to get along in life...

i guess the description sounds a little vague but it's basically a drama about a set of people and their lives. it was cancelled after 14 episodes of 1 season, but i think i know why. this is the kind of show that has lots of ongoing stories. honestly, if the you had to watch each episode when it aired, 1 week apart, it would be hard to keep up. also, since it's a continuous story, none of the episodes are standalone. however, if you watch them altogether, it makes sense and it's pretty decent.

imdb link if anyone is interested - "Six Degrees" (2006)

not a very easy torrent to get though.

ok moving on...

i'm looking to download a new series now and i have 2 choices... sons of anarchy and the mentalist. i don't know much about either of them, but i've heard they're good. which should i get?

spindoctor said:
i'm looking to download a new series now and i have 2 choices... sons of anarchy and the mentalist. i don't know much about either of them, but i've heard they're good. which should i get?
I haven't heard of Sons of Anarchy, but The Mentalist is awesome. People usually "tag" it as a Psych rip-off, but it's NOT. It's worth a watch & you have only one season to cover up.

True Blood is getting awesome. I really like the fact that Maryann is back as the center focus now, I was really getting tired of the whole soldiers of the sun storyline. Finally, there is a creature which can actually challenge a vampire. Jason stackhouse and Sam are getting less annoying now and I really like the jessica-hoyt scenes.

One interesting thing I noticed is that the queen vampire which is to be played by Evan Rachel Wood is named Sophie-Ann, could she be in any way related to Maryann?

All in all its heading up towards an explosive season finale.

Jasku said:
Started LOST now, into episode 7, but it seems really slow, and not totally hooked to it so to speak..
It irritates you in almost all season. concept is nice but there are too many pit fall in the script. have watched all 5 season of it but haven't encountered any moment of sheer excitement.
Will be watching Six Degrees next

Just finished watching Heroes Season 1 and i must say "ITS BORING AS HELL". Cant wait for the final season of LOST.

47Shailesh said:
It irritates you in almost all season. concept is nice but there are too many pit fall in the script.

Speak for yourself because I certainly beg to differ. LOST is one of the most well made shows I have ever seen on television. The writers have done an incredible job and the attention to detail is just mind-boggling. You will be amazed to find out the number of websites dedicated to just understanding LOST. Hell there is even a lostpedia. There are many little things that make LOST truly an amazing experience which only the true fans of the show can appreciate. Infact the last 2 seasons of LOST are made purely for the fans of the show.

Everyone will have a difference of opinion. There are some people who don't like "The Godfather" but that doesn't make that movie bad. So refrain from generalizing your opinions and statements.

Bluffmaster said:
Speak for yourself because I certainly beg to differ. LOST is one of the most well made shows I have ever seen on television. The writers have done an incredible job and the attention to detail is just mind-boggling. You will be amazed to find out the number of websites dedicated to just understanding LOST. Hell there is even a lostpedia. There are many little things that make LOST truly an amazing experience which only the true fans of the show can appreciate. Infact the last 2 seasons of LOST are made purely for the fans of the show.

Everyone will have a difference of opinion. There are some people who don't like "The Godfather" but that doesn't make that movie bad. So refrain from generalizing your opinions and statements.

^yeah I agree with you.
And as they say "on the brighter side" after watching the LOST it brings a lot of positivity and thinking. At times I have to pause and recollect from earlier eps to conclude what current event entails.

Also upto date with Burn Notice, nice smart action packed show, with tons of pointers for aspiring spies :)
Its actually an amazing show.... one of the better series I have seen lately. Been watching Dark blue, its a decent series. True blood will give it a miss, had enough of drama based shows.

Switchin over to anime these days, the production values on some of the new series is simply awesome...

Bluffmaster said:

I agree with you Bluffy. Lost is truly amazing. Its riveting. some great character development... at times tricks you into waiting for the next episode...but most of the time top class... But you need to invest time in it. Takes a good dozen episodes to get you hooked.

Been looking for a "LOST" like show ever since... Now watching Jericho... into the 6th episode. It looks promising but nothing great until now... lets see...

Bluffmaster said:
True Blood is getting awesome. I really like the fact that Maryann is back as the center focus now, I was really getting tired of the whole soldiers of the sun storyline. Finally, there is a creature which can actually challenge a vampire. Jason stackhouse and Sam are getting less annoying now and I really like the jessica-hoyt scenes.

All in all its heading up towards an explosive season finale.
Dam right it is. I wish Godric's character should have been given more time to develop, rather than abruptly ending it. He had an interesting personality & somewhat mysterious like Eric's.

My biggest problem on the show is Tara and Jason (at times). Tara easily pisses me off & I feel like whacking her down with a 2x4. Jason's role in the first season was pretty unimportant. Some of his scenes with Amy, like hallucinating after taking 'V' should have been chopped off. Total waste of time IMO.

I love Maryann. She is full of energy & hot as hell. Would love to see how the closure to this season would be like.

Bluffmaster said:
One interesting thing I noticed is that the queen vampire which is to be played by Evan Rachel Wood is named Sophie-Ann, could she be in any way related to Maryann?
Hmm...interesting. Could they be sisters or something? No idea. Although Bill was pretty sure that she would know how to stop Maryann. So I'm guessing there is some connection between the two.

^^ Yeah, the newest episode was filled with terrible one liners and dialogues but still totally fun to watch, or rather that made it fun.

Lafayette is pretty awesome and needs to get more screen time.

chiron said:
Lafayette is pretty awesome and needs to get more screen time.
That guy is funny as hell. Although his comic intensity has came down since his Vampire abduction. :p

Back