EU Commission proposes removing chargers from all smartphone boxes

Do you have a source for that? ars technica one i read didn't mention it
Sorry, I don't remember it now as I read it in a hurry. Maybe, it was WSJ or Reuters. But, most of the articles online contain the text that the regulator "felt" that Apple's environment related claims were false. The word "felt" has the findings of that study as source. Maybe, the study and its methodology might be available on regulators website.

Sorry, I don't remember it now as I read it in a hurry. Maybe, it was WSJ or Reuters. But, most of the articles online contain the text that the regulator "felt" that Apple's environment related claims were false. The word "felt" has the findings of that study as source. Maybe, the study and its methodology might be available on regulators website.
Reuters has the bolded part

The part I'm looking for is what you said next.....

The regulator is pushing for Apple to provide an option for consumers to have chargers shipped with the phone or to make it optional and if Apple does so then it should accordingly reduce the price of phone.

Afaik, the fast charging technology used is different for each brand. Hence, a One Plus charger will not fast charge a Samsung or Redmi phone.
Time to move to USB-C PD as the only standard.

Also, chargers/phones can support multiple standards over USB-C. Xiaomi phones support both their proprietary technology and USB-C PD, only that PD has slightly lower power, like 28w Vs. 65w or something like that. So even if regulators make it compulsory to implement USB-C PD, it still doesn't prevent them from designing their own tech and selling their own chargers separately which support that tech.

Reuters has the bolded part

The part I'm looking for is what you said next..

I will see if I could find the article again. Until then let's say it was my own assumption.
Exactly, both the charger and device too can have support for multiple protocols including both proprietary and universal standards like USB-PD. One example is the 67W Mi charger (MDY-13-EC) sold here in India.

Time to move to USB-C PD as the only standard.
Govts should not be dictating technical standards. If they did what you said with micro USB we'd have never seen USB C.
Also, chargers/phones can support multiple standards over USB-C. Xiaomi phones support both their proprietary technology and USB-C PD, only that PD has slightly lower power, like 28w Vs. 65w or something like that. So even if regulators make it compulsory to implement USB-C PD, it still doesn't prevent them from designing their own tech and selling their own chargers separately which support that tech.
USB-PD is intel's standard. With inputs from other tech companies.

My laptop does USB-PD up to 100W. But it has a bigger power adapter. Like you get with laptops, not just a wall wart. Another laptop i have has 65W like wall wart adapter.

Govts should not be dictating technical standards. If they did what you said with micro USB we'd have never seen USB C.
Nobody is asking the government to "dictate" technical standards, but it can and should ask the industry to agree upon a universal standard, especially when proprietary technologies are being deliberately used by companies to the detriment of the consumer.

Imagine how it would feel if each company had their own wireless technology and you had to buy a different router and headphone for each of your devices because there was no universal standard called wi-fi or ethernet.

Why do you think that standardisation driven by government is bad? If the industry on it's own cannot agree on the standard, it is definitely the job of the government to interfere and ask the industry to agree upon a standard.

And I have seen you repeatedly say that this will stifle innovation. Has Wi-fi being standardised stifled innovation in wireless technologies? Has bluetooth being standardised stifled innovation in bluetooth headphones? Has SATA/PCIe/DIMM being standardised stifled innovation in SSD/Graphics cards/RAM modules? So why is that charging technology being standardised will take us back to the landline age?

Fragmentation of the market is bad equally bad for consumers and corporations. Standardisation has often led to lower costs and better products in the long run.

Don't fall for Apple's propaganda. USB-C is just a type of connector, standardising that is not going to stifle any innovation if the companies are willing. USB-C supports tens of protocols and companies build their own on top of the same connectors. There's nothing stopping them except their own short term greed.

Standardization on USB C port is not much. I have to carry 2 sets of USB c chargers because wifey's poco uses QC 3.0 and my Pixel uses USB PD. Things get even more complicated at her house because her dad has a Samsung with something else entirely

Why do you think that standardisation driven by government is bad? If the industry on it's own cannot agree on the standard, it is definitely the job of the government to interfere and ask the industry to agree upon a standard.

And I have seen you repeatedly say that this will stifle innovation. Has Wi-fi being standardised stifled innovation in wireless technologies? Has bluetooth being standardised stifled innovation in bluetooth headphones? Has SATA/PCIe/DIMM being standardised stifled innovation in SSD/Graphics cards/RAM modules? So why is that charging technology being standardised will take us back to the landline age?

He just regurgitates talking points from US alt-right media. You'd find all this hue and cry about 'government meddling' on sites like Fox News, Breitbart, and podcasts from guys like Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson etc.

Even if you show reality disagrees with those claims he'd keep parroting same bull.

Fragmentation of the market is bad equally bad for consumers and corporations. Standardisation has often led to lower costs and better products in the long run.

Fragmentation of the market is bad for customers but not for corporations. If they had their way, each company would still be having different charging port which they'd change slightly after a generation or two. Like how Intel keeps changing their CPU sockets every few years so customers have to buy new board while upgrading CPU.

Because tech changes and I answered this already by giving micro USB as an example. In effect, you freeze the interface as there is no incentive to develop further. So apply your thinking to micro USB and tell me why we should have stuck with it.

I've already discussed this in other tech fora when the idiots in the EU came up with this idea because for them having a phone is a 'human right'.
Govt didn't have any role with wifi or BT standards, did they? The industry decided what was best. All your examples were settled by industry which is market driven. So why should govt get involved with what ports should be used?
Let the market determine what standards remain or go. That's how it's always been. Companies did not want to pay the Qualcomm tax or intel tax so they developed their own variations. That's the reason for the fragmentation. I've ranted about how USB C is anything but a standard for a long time now.
Don't fall for Apple's propaganda. USB-C is just a type of connector, standardising that is not going to stifle any innovation if the companies are willing. USB-C supports tens of protocols and companies build their own on top of the same connectors. There's nothing stopping them except their own short term greed.
Not apple's propaganda. It's a belief that govt must not interfere in areas that it has no expertise. This should not have to be explained in a country like India where we did just that for a good few decades and went bankrupt. Then we understood what worked.

Apple bailed out of wifi standards with iPhone 6. They went and did their own thing. They're the only company to do that. They are still with the BT SIG as i can find certs for their products. But you won't find wifi certs for their phones.

When companies get that big what they do is embrace and extend existing standards. Corrupt them. This is what Microsoft used to do in the 90s. Then the antitrust thing came up and USG went after them. Antitrust is when a company gets so big it stifles the sector. Can you say Apple is doing that currently? I've not come across any news that says they are.
He just regurgitates talking points from US alt-right media. You'd find all this hue and cry about 'government meddling' on sites like Fox News, Breitbart, and podcasts from guys like Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson etc.
It becomes a political question the moment you say govt should do this or that.
Even if you show reality disagrees with those claims he'd keep parroting same bull.
Give me examples of this reality ? Can you do that? Until you do so don't claim credit for something you did not earn.
Fragmentation of the market is bad for customers but not for corporations. If they had their way, each company would still be having different charging port which they'd change slightly after a generation or two. Like how Intel keeps changing their CPU sockets every few years so customers have to buy new board while upgrading CPU.
That's just the way it works, at some point there is consolidation or a new standard emerges and we shift to it. The industry has more or less settled on a physical interface like USB C but as greenhorn pointed out the brains behind that port differs depending on the company.

I've already explained changing things for no good reason doesn't make business sense. If a company gets big enough to do that then govt gets involved. We're not at that stage right now.

Where does the tech come from? where are the companies that develop this tech based. Where are the standards bodies based?

If India decides plugs should be like this or then the result is predictable. Those companies won't sell anything here. You will have to import at extra cost what you want.

Last edited:
If India decides plugs should be like this or then the result is predictable. Those companies won't sell anything here. You will have to import at extra cost what you want.
Agreed, India by itself doesnt have much say in the development of future tech, so the govt setting directives on a type of port without any expertise is kinda illogical IMO. What the government can do is set a minimum standard for ports while updating this standard every 2 years. But again without any expertise in the field, it would still be illogical but less than the previous one. And as for imports... I would highly prefer to not see a future where the basic minimum tech has to be imported to india at more than 20% import duty excluding GST. That will be a nightmare and indicative a dying country.

Standardization on USB C port is not much. I have to carry 2 sets of USB c chargers because wifey's poco uses QC 3.0 and my Pixel uses USB PD. Things get even more complicated at her house because her dad has a Samsung with something else entirely
Arent these chargers interchangeable? AFAIK any device that supports PD will be able to juice itself using any QC3.0, albeit with a slower charging rate without any risk of damage. Also, QC 4.0 supports USB PD as its main protocol. So it might be worth considering getting a QC 4.0 adapter in the future?

Standardization on USB C port is not much. I have to carry 2 sets of USB c chargers because wifey's poco uses QC 3.0 and my Pixel uses USB PD
This is why saying that mandating USB-C will stifle innovation is pure bs. Companies have already created 100 different fast charging technologies over USB-C connector itself.
Arent these chargers interchangeable?
Assuming a certain level of quality and compliance to USB specs, yes, they are interchangeable. But slow charging is hardly an option these days, given how long it takes to charge big batteries with 5v 2A current.

Good thing is that many phones are also starting to support USB-C PD fast charging, even if it's slower than their own proprietary fast charging tech. Same for chargers. My Pixel charges at rapid charging rates with my wife's xiaomi phone charger.

Back