Everyone wants to be Gandhi now...

Neo-N

Skilled
Excerpts from Yahoo! News India:

Baba Ramdev to launch Satyagraha against graft:

New Delhi, April 20: Yoga guru and spiritual leader Baba Ramdev will launch a nationwide people's movement 'Satyagraha against corruption' from June 4, his spokesperson said here on Wednesday.

'The movement will begin after he completes his 'Bharat Swabhiman Yatra', a journey of one lakh km which began from Dwarka on September 2 last year and will end at Ujjain (in Madhya Pradesh) on June 1,' Baba Ramdev's spokesperson S.K. Tijarawala said.

He added that the spiritual leader will announce the launch and details of the anti-graft movement April 27

Baba Ramdev will also write a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on three issues -- creating an independent, impartial Lokpal (ombudsman), getting back black money worth over Rs.400 lakh crore stashed in tax havens abroad and replacing the British system of governance, taxation, education, law and order with a 'swadeshi' model.

Fasting Bihar law student serious, others slam Nitish:

Patna, April 21: One of the fasting law students of a university demanding placements is battling for life in the intensive care unit (ICU) of a hospital but Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has no time to look into their case, students said Thursday.

'About a dozen students of Chanakya National Law University (CNLU) have undertaken indefinite fast since Monday demanding immediate placement,' said Sushant Kumar, a striking student.

'But neither Nitish Kumar nor Bihar's Human Resource Development Minister P.K. Sahi have shown any interest in us,' he added.

Another striking student, Paritosh Lall, said the indefinite fast continued for the fourth day Thursday but nothing is bothering the state government.

'We are not asking for the moon. With no trace of placement for us, our future is at stake, but neither the university authorities nor the state government are bothered,' he told IANS.

He said Vijay Kumar, a fifth year student of the CNLU, has been battling for his life in the ICU of a private hospital here after his condition deteriorated Wednesday.

Striking students sitting on fast with placards that read 'we want placement, we want to meet chief minister' and 'Investment Rs.100 crore, result 80 unemployed', are not in a mood to give up their Gandhian mode of fight.

Some of them also raised slogans, demanding resignation of the university's vice chancellor and registrar.

The striking students said they took this extreme step after meeting the chief minister in his Janata Darbar April 11 when they put their demand before him.

An angry striking student said none but the chief minister was responsible for spoiling their career as there is hardly any faculty nor any other facility in the university, considered to be the brainchild of Nitish Kumar himself.

However, CNLU vice chancellor A.Lakshminath said all law universities face placement problems during their first few years.

I just cant help but mention the Samsung Mobile Tagline: Next is What?? :p

Fast unto death is akin to attempt to suicide. Attempt to suicide is punishable under law. If someone takes up a fast unto death voluntarily, anyone else cannot be held responsible for his death. Am I legally right or am I wrong?

agantuk said:
Fast unto death is akin to attempt to suicide. Attempt to suicide is punishable under law. If someone takes up a fast unto death voluntarily, anyone else cannot be held responsible for his death. Am I legally right or am I wrong?
Well, suicide means killing yourself at your will.

But fasting can kill and cannot too. So I don't think fasting is attempt to suicide.

If I don't wish to have foods I cannot, simply I'm not hungry.

if it works then why not?

PS: I will never support ramdev; he is against condoms n contraceptives since they prompt premarital sex...poor fellow never had any n may never have any with that attitude....

-This Cryptic Message is brought to you from beyond The MAtrix :p:)

agantuk said:
^ Is that the law? I would have thought the case can be based on these arguments.
Pralhad Gyani, the man who had no food in years shall be behind the bars in that case...

-This Cryptic Message is brought to you from beyond The MAtrix :p:)

Following the principles of Gandhi doesn't mean to become Gandhi himself.

All that anti-condom stuff is not good & I'll never support it, but when Baba Ramdev is trying to do something good, why not support him ?

Just try to follow good things & criticize the bad things even if they are about the same person.

agantuk said:

Suicide is NEVER meant for anyone's betterment but start 100's of problem & a life-time bitter experience for near one & dear one, while FAMOUS hunger strikes till today work for progress & betterment of society... (exception is always there) :(

agantuk said:
If someone takes up a fast unto death voluntarily, anyone else cannot be held responsible for his death. Am I legally right or am I wrong?
krishnandu said:
But fasting can kill and cannot too. So I don't think fasting is attempt to suicide.
Fast unto death is not attempt to suicide. It is a landmark judgement in one of the cases when the police had arrested and put behind bars protestors who were fasting unto death for some reasons.

It was held that the person fasting is at liberty to break the fast at any given time before his death and as such, he can break the fast and save his life at any time.

Law distinguishes between intent to commit and attempt to commit suicide. A person fasting cannot be said to have decided and made up his mind on dying!

Crazy_Eddy said:
bottle is going on fast till Fiat improves its service.
^^ Then that would have to be a Fast until Eternity!! :lol:

nehaladsul said:
Fast unto death is not attempt to suicide. It is a landmark judgement in one of the cases when the police had arrested and put behind bars protestors who were fasting unto death for some reasons.

It was held that the person fasting is at liberty to break the fast at any given time before his death and as such, he can break the fast and save his life at any time.

Law distinguishes between intent to commit and attempt to commit suicide. A person fasting cannot be said to have decided and made up his mind on dying!
OK, so does that mean if someone, say ABC, says that he is going to 'fast unto death' unless XYZ agrees to something that he wants. In case of death of ABC, will XYZ be held liable for any form of murder - intentional or otherwise?

@nehal

ramdev has conducted several rallies for awareness on blackmoney and corruption for years. his recent one in ramlila maidan on 27th feb attracted huge crowd. he is one of the guys behind India Against Corruption. his yoga workshops and live tv sessions have awareness on corruption and related issues.

so don't blandly put ramdev's efforts in same page as other issues ;)

madnav said:
[...]

PS: I will never support ramdev; he is against condoms n contraceptives since they prompt premarital sex...poor fellow never had any n may never have any with that attitude....

he is not against condoms, he said govt should not popularise condoms in a way that promotes pre-martial sex. for context see the video Govt should not popularise condoms: Baba Ramdev

of course yes he is against pre-martial sex. if that is the issue based on which people decide to support, god save this country :bleh:

agantuk said:
OK, so does that mean if someone, say ABC, says that he is going to 'fast unto death' unless XYZ agrees to something that he wants. In case of death of ABC, will XYZ be held liable for any form of murder - intentional or otherwise?
No.

_

Update: bottle's fast put off for Dinner. Will resume his fast post-dinner.

Dinner expenses : Rs. 20.

By Anna Hazare'ish figures, he can eat err.. fast for the next 100,000 days.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

DigitalDude said:
of course yes he is against pre-martial sex. if that is the issue based on which people decide to support, god save this country :bleh:

You've been a notty boy haven't you :eek:hyeah:

agantuk said:

No. Neither the latter (XYZ) will be guilty of murder or abetting suicide nor will the former (ABC) be held liable for blackmail!!

Murder is a very complicated phenomenon. That is the reason we have recognized 2 forms of causing death in law viz. culpable homicide amounting to murder and culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

Intention to cause Death (or Mens Rea) is the deciding factor to ascertain whether a person be charged with Murder or just Culpable Homicide not amounting to murder.
DigitalDude said:
@nehal

ramdev has conducted several rallies for awareness on blackmoney and corruption for years. his recent one in ramlila maidan on 27th feb attracted huge crowd. he is one of the guys behind India Against Corruption. his yoga workshops and live tv sessions have awareness on corruption and related issues.

so don't blandly put ramdev's efforts in same page as other issues ;)
I just love the way threads flow on TE... Especially in GT! :p

In any case, I have nothing to do with the Ramdev morality. I only view the issues as legal/illegal or constitutional/unconstitutional.

But I would like to state that Ramdev is no Gandhi just as I had previously stated that Hazare is no Gandhi!! * :lol:

* And that is the reason for bringing both the issues on the same page. Even the fasting Law students are not Gandhi!!!

Crazy_Eddy said:
Dinner expenses : Rs. 20.

By Anna Hazare'ish figures, he can eat err.. fast for the next 100,000 days.

^^ I am gonna print and distribute 'I am Bottle' Gandhi Caps on TE. Have you included that expense in calculating the number of days?? :lol:

madnav said:
sorry guys i forgot to add humour tags.. :p
I was afraid that with you gone away from GT and Gannu becoming a Moderator and rite being banned, our species would get extinct...!!! :lol:

Maddy, glad to have you back!! :yahoo:

Back