Everyone wants to be Gandhi now...

GANDHI was not the only one to get us the freedom, did little but took all the credit, there were others who were working side by side, like bhagats singhs death inspired millions of youth & the pioneer of Indian national army Subhash Chandra Bose who had already prepared a massive army of 43k soldiers in 3 years with the prisoners of war world over who the brits had abandoned after the war, along with them the German & the Japanese soldiers were all set to attack India & liberate from the brits. Then the German armies were in Russia where Hitler Had promised Bose that after he defeats the Russians he would march the army with joint forces of the Indian National Army & the Japanese Army from Burma, but hitler got defeated badly in Russia & japan surrendered after the Americans dropped bomb on japan & after that you know everything, rest is history.

^^ S.C.Bose sided with the Nazis, shows his willingness to befriend the devil for the sake of power. Wonder why he is celebrated as a freedom fighter instead of being treated on par with Hitler! Even if SCBose had his way, he would have just been a puppet ruler with Hitler calling the shots. The INA was just a bunch of criminals and PoWs, with very few principled leaders. Most joined INA just to get out of German prison, where certain death awaited.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Hitler's secret Indian army

avi said:
this statement is indeed true, yes, we have gotten independence in early 1920-25, but again with 25 small countries.

avi said:
If there wasn't Gandhi, then there would have been countries like Pakistan, Kashmir, Dilli, Punjab, Maratha, Mysore,Hyderabad and 20 others.

Would have been perfect. A much nicer EU-like system would have emerged instead of the current retarded central government.

NinByChoice said:
Would have been perfect. A much nicer EU-like system would have emerged instead of the current retarded central government.

Ha! Fat chance. More like the Balkans, constantly fighting each other.

NinByChoice said:
^^ S.C.Bose sided with the Nazis, shows his willingness to befriend the devil for the sake of power. Wonder why he is celebrated as a freedom fighter instead of being treated on par with Hitler! Even if SCBose had his way, he would have just been a puppet ruler with Hitler calling the shots. The INA was just a bunch of criminals and PoWs, with very few principled leaders. Most joined INA just to get out of German prison, where certain death awaited.

Such indepth knowledge of the freedom movement, and particularly Subhash Chandra Bose!!!

Mephistopheles said:
Its unfortunate how people make derogatory comments about M.K Gandhi.

He indirectly killed Bhagat Singh? Where did this come from? :lol:
I told you not to continue but you did not..... Well read what people say....

One of the most popular ones is that Mahatma Gandhi had an opportunity to stop Singh's execution but did not. A variation of this theory is that Gandhi actively conspired with the British to have Singh executed. Gandhi's supporters say that Gandhi did not have enough influence with the British to stop the execution, much less arrange it. Furthermore, Gandhi's supporters assert that Singh's role in the independence movement was no threat to Gandhi's role as its leader, and so Gandhi would have no reason to want him dead.

Gandhi, during his lifetime, always maintained that he was a great admirer of Singh's patriotism. He also said that he was opposed to Singh's execution (and, for that matter, capital punishment in general) and proclaimed that he had no power to stop it. On Singh's execution, Gandhi said, "The government certainly had the right to hang these men. However, there are some rights which do credit to those who possess them only if they are enjoyed in name only."[81] Gandhi also once said, on capital punishment, "I cannot in all conscience agree to anyone being sent to the gallows. God alone can take life because He alone gives it."

Gandhi had managed to have 90,000 political prisoners who were not members of his Satyagraha movement released under the Gandhi-Irwin Pact.[citation needed] According to a report in the Indian magazine Frontline, he did plead several times for the commutation of the death sentence of Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev, including a personal visit on 19 March 1931, and in a letter to the Viceroy on the day of their execution, pleading fervently for commutation, not knowing that the letter would be too late.[70]

Lord Irwin, the Viceroy, later said:

As I listened to Mr. Gandhi putting the case for commutation before me, I reflected first on what significance it surely was that the apostle of non-violence should so earnestly be pleading the cause of the devotees of a creed so fundamentally opposed to his own, but I should regard it as wholly wrong to allow my judgment to be influenced by purely political considerations. I could not imagine a case in which under the law, penalty had been more directly deserved.[70]

However, Gandhi did appreciate Bhagat's patriotism and how he had overcome the fear of death, but did not support the violence involved.[82]

Bhagat Singh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gandhi Indrectly killed Bhagath Singh - Topix

Gandhiji Vs Bhagat Singh (Page 3) | 260398

I have said this before and would like to repeat and reiterate that I have always been influenced by the Extremist side of the Indian freedom struggle.

Shaheed Bhagat Singh has been my ideal for ages now. Still, accusing M. K Gandhi of killing Shaheed Bhagat Singh (directly/indirectly) is pathetic and lame.

It is true that saving Shaheed Bhagat Singh was within Gandhi's power at that time but the fact that he didn't press for it does not make him guilty of Killing Shaheed Bhagat Singh.

Those who have read Shaheed Bhagat Singh's Jail Notebook will agree that Shaheed Bhagat Singh wanted to send out a message across India and that was possible only on his death. I won't be wrong in saying that Shaheed Bhagat Singh was keen on dying (being martyred) because that worked like a jolt for the society which was under the moderate influence.

And that is what separates Shaheed Bhagat Singh from the rest of the Freedom Fighters. Others lived for Indian freedom, he died so that Indians could seek freedom.

I used to believe that Gandhi was the one behind Shaheed Bhagat Singh's death but I was wrong. Had Gandhi stopped the execution of Bhagat Singh, he would have probably remained just another revolutionary.

Gandhi helped Shaheed Bhagat Singh achieve what he wanted - Death in the name of his nation. He became a martyr thanks to Gandhi not interfering. Had Gandhi interfered, he might have been saved but then he would not have developed the same respect and popularity overnight that was parallel or even superior to Gandhi then.

And yes, Shaheed Bhagat Singh is above Gandhi IMO. But that doesn't mean that one goes on badmouthing Gandhi. Shaheed Bhagat Singh was an extremist and yet he never had hatred for the moderates. He respected Gandhi for who he was though he never approved of Gandhi's moderate attitude and non violent ways.

Like I said before, Gandhi was right but not always right. And as for Shaheed Bhagat Singh, he was always right... But this coming from a extremism supporting person is obvious!

It is also noteworthy that Gandhi is known as Gandhi but Bhagat Singh is known as Shaheed Bhagat Singh and that puts him a notch above Gandhi IMO.

@ malhotraraul: You were the one advocating Gandhian ways on the other thread Left-Right-Centre and now you come up and make such comments?? :S

The question & the Answer both are in your thread itself.

Question
nehaladsul said:
@ malhotraraul: you were the one advocating gandhian ways on the other thread left-right-centre and now you come up and make such comments?? :s
Answer
nehaladsul said:
gandhi was right but not always right

malhotraraul said:
Hazare's 3 days fasting got millions of followers world over, Bhagat Singh underwent a 64-day fast in jail, demanding equal rights for Indian and British political prisoners.

Bhagat Singh was only 24 when he was hanged for shooting a police officer in response to a police lathi charge leading to the demise of Lala Lajpat Rai.

Shaheed Bhagat Singh wanted himself to be hanged... In fact, he wanted that they be shot not hanged. Period.

And if you are comparing Hazare to Shaheed Bhagat Singh now the way you compared him to Gandhi in the other thread, I have reason to believe that you are either a secret PR Agent of Hazare or have completely lost it!

malhotraraul said:
The question & the Answer both are in your thread itself.

So, you are just saying that you fight to death for some person and then go against the same person in a matter of days??

TBH today I was very much missing neha :lol:

@neha - I totally agree with you. If you read my earlier posts, even my pov is also same. Your's are just 10mark explanations ;)

nehaladsul said:
Shaheed Bhagat Singh wanted himself to be hanged... In fact, he wanted that they be shot not hanged. Period.

And if you are comparing Hazare to Shaheed Bhagat Singh now the way you compared him to Gandhi in the other thread, I have reason to believe that you are either a secret PR Agent of Hazare or have completely lost it!
i wish i was a PR, thoda main bhi haat dho leta :)

people have always been named because they are role models that does not mean one is comparing them, just like we all were scolded by our parents when we were kids telling us that look at him he does not do that & this, i do not know what happened in your childhood, because i do not want to comment on anyone's personal life, there is a word called, metaphor, figure of speech, etc etc ..................... and please stop digging & being vindictive, have some vodka with me & lets fly ....... cheeeeers :)

NinByChoice said:

[...]Would have been perfect. A much nicer EU-like system would have emerged instead of the current retarded central government.
rofl!!! I don't even know where to begin :rofl: and yeah bbc is the best unbiased source.

agantuk said:
Such indepth knowledge of the freedom movement, and particularly Subhash Chandra Bose!!!

:eek:hyeah: definitely.. I think he can replace Ramachandra Guha

btw nehal see what your thread has come to :bleh:

_

malhotraraul said:
i do not know what happened in your childhood, because i do not want to comment on anyone's personal life, there is a word called, metaphor, figure of speech, etc etc ..................... and please stop digging & being vindictive, have some vodka with me & lets fly ....... cheeeeers :)
You did comment on my personal life when you called me a 'Shameless Indian' on the other thread... I do remember that.

In any case, all I want to say is that even I do not approve of a lot of things that Gandhi did... I can bring up a list.

But, it is absolutely wrong to say that Gandhi killed Shaheed Bhagat Singh. It is a disgrace to the martyr who would like to feel that he sacrificed himself.

I gave up on the Hazare thread. But if I had continued, I would have liked to post a few more facts about Hazare and how he behaves like a Dictator in his hometown where he authorizes the flogging of people who consume liquor. [So, no Vodka with you... :p Besides, I am non alcoholic!! :p]

avi said:
If you read my earlier posts, even my pov is also same. Your's are just 10mark explanations ;)

I read your earlier posts. Even liked them. :p

BTW, What is '10mark explanations'...?? :S

DigitalDude said:
btw nehal see what your thread has come to :bleh:

But isn't it good to see some intelligent talking here rather than just ignorant views??

:D

fine, you can have the sprite with chips avi is bringing along.

just like i stated before, what happened with you when hazare came to your hospital & what did you expect from him is total another matter & you were too vindictive proving yourself.

we both do not know hazare & gandhi personally, we say what we read & see, again stop being vindictive & have sprite, seems like i am sipping & you are getting high ?

@neha - mine are just simple 1-2 sentence answers and your's are big big answers which we write for 10 marks in exam :lol:

and please do post about Hazare in that thread. Like to know many facts :)

Back